Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Two Seat Deposits  (Read 2472 times)

Eastchic2001

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - eastchic2001
    • View Profile
    • Email
Two Seat Deposits
« on: April 12, 2006, 09:37:17 AM »
Does anybody know the deal with putting two seat deposits down at different schools? I want to put a deposit down at SMU and George Mason to buy more decision time. Is this okay? Anyone else thinking of the same thing?
Gotta love Texas! Or Colorado! The best of both worlds! Ping!

Jontor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Two Seat Deposits
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2006, 09:43:21 AM »
I put two seat deposits down this week to buy me more time....I think the one downside is that you going to loose one of your deposits.

nmb238

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2006, 10:23:33 AM »
im putting down a seat deposit at two schools- the expensive Ivy and the Tier 2 full scholarship. I need more time to weigh factors.

its annoying, but when you pull out of one they will that seat quite quickly.

~n
NYU06
PennLaw09

RIP Admissions Cycle
11.22.05 - 5.22.06

tankbrain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2006, 10:24:38 AM »
Some people do it, but it is unethical.
LSAT: 165
GPA:  3.4

Eastchic2001

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - eastchic2001
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2006, 10:31:07 AM »
Why is that unethical? Someone will get that seat either way! It could make someone's day later on. I got accepted based on merit. I shouldn't have to feel bad about waiting extra time to decide. Plus one of those schools gets free money
Gotta love Texas! Or Colorado! The best of both worlds! Ping!

Sweet Tea

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2006, 10:32:30 AM »
I would say it's unethical...

If law schools were remotely interested in keeping the system accurate (you pay money, you are nearly guaranteed to go there.)  When they don't get acceptances out with a reasonable amount of time to visit and make a decision, when they don't give out all their scholarships before deadlines and when they don't release financial aid information until mid-summer, I vote for being well within your ethical boundaries to submit two deposits.

If schools want people to quit submitting two deposits, they should give us the information necessary to make a decision before the deposits are due.  Move back the deposit date, move back the application deadlines or just move faster.  Right now many schools are so "We'll tell you when we tell you", so I see nothing wrong with students paying extra money for the privilege of doing the same.
Attending The George Washington University School of Law, class of 2009 :)

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=BenFolds5

tankbrain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2006, 10:40:24 AM »
Why is that unethical? Someone will get that seat either way! It could make someone's day later on. I got accepted based on merit. I shouldn't have to feel bad about waiting extra time to decide. Plus one of those schools gets free money

It forces more people to have to make more first deposits and wait later to make life choices. Some people cannot afford to engage in that game.

Sweet Tea

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2006, 10:42:26 AM »
oops...

I meant "I would say it's unethical, BUT ... if law schools."
Attending The George Washington University School of Law, class of 2009 :)

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=BenFolds5

tankbrain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2006, 10:43:13 AM »
oops...

I meant "I would say it's unethical, BUT ... if law schools."

I saw that, but your post was still clear.

nmb238

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2006, 11:52:08 AM »

It forces more people to have to make more first deposits and wait later to make life choices. Some people cannot afford to engage in that game.

How does it do that? I dont see how more people make more deposits because I put down two... put a deposit down at the school that accepted you and you want to go to. My deposit is in no way preventing you from going there unless you are waitlisted, in which case you should have/probably did already put down your deposit elsewhere- whether or not I sent in mine.

i dont see the connection.

fwiw, i am very honest in my deposits- i flat out told Cornell that I am putting down a deposit at a school where I was offered full tuition, and that I am on three waitlists/holds. No secrets, no lies.

~n

NYU06
PennLaw09

RIP Admissions Cycle
11.22.05 - 5.22.06