Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: George Mason vs. SMU  (Read 3437 times)

Eastchic2001

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - eastchic2001
    • View Profile
    • Email
George Mason vs. SMU
« on: April 12, 2006, 08:45:21 AM »
I'm trying to decide where to attend law school this fall. I got accepted to SMU and George Mason, and I have to put a seat deposit down by April 15th. It's tough because I have lived in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area my whole life plus I got a Dean's Scholarship offer from SMU in the amount of $10,000 a year. On the other hand, George Mason is "ranked" as a better school. In addition, I kind of want to experience some place new so that I won't have a biased decision about where to start my life. Some people tell me to go with GMU because it is a little more well known. I don't know if I will want to practice in Dallas or elsewhere. Does anyone have any advice about this decision? I'm cutting it close, only 4 more days to make a decision!

Totally confused! HELP!
Gotta love Texas! Or Colorado! The best of both worlds! Ping!

daisey251

• View Profile
Re: George Mason vs. SMU
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2006, 08:52:25 AM »
... and I have to put a seat deposit down by April 15th.

Totally confused! HELP!

Planning to visit? Aid packages from each? Are deposits refundable if you back out?  Knowing this helps you get a perspective.

If you plan to visit.  If you haven't aid packages yet. Either and both of these issues should be articulated in letter(s) which request waiver or deferment of your deposit(s).  Just write up a quite note, and fax to both schools, TODAY.

Poseidon

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2006, 05:53:44 PM »
I'm trying to decide where to attend law school this fall. I got accepted to SMU and George Mason, and I have to put a seat deposit down by April 15th. It's tough because I have lived in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area my whole life plus I got a Dean's Scholarship offer from SMU in the amount of $10,000 a year. On the other hand, George Mason is "ranked" as a better school. In addition, I kind of want to experience some place new so that I won't have a biased decision about where to start my life. Some people tell me to go with GMU because it is a little more well known. I don't know if I will want to practice in Dallas or elsewhere. Does anyone have any advice about this decision? I'm cutting it close, only 4 more days to make a decision!

Totally confused! HELP!

It all depends where you want to be once you graduate.  GMU is ranked as a better school, but it's not far enough ahead of SMU to make a huge difference.  GMU grads have great opportunities in DC, VA, and the mid-atlantic region.  I'm assuming SMU offers similar opportunities in Texas and the south.  If you want to experience something new, give GMU a shot- DC and Northern Virginia is a great place to be and the law school is right in the middle of it all in Arlington.   It may take a little extra work but there's also nothing stopping you from taking the Texas bar when you graduate from GMU and planning to move back to Dallas eventually.  I know plenty of people in DC who went to school around here but took the bar in their home state because one day they want to return there.  I'm happy to answer more questions about DC and the Arlington area if you have them.  Good luck with your decision. 
GMUSL '09
USAF JAG Corps Commission

Paper Chaser

• Sr. Citizen
  • http://guinnessandchocolate.blogspot.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 03:05:30 AM »
It will be much more work involved to move to DC and try to find a job in Dallas. I would go to SMU if you want to practice in Texas.

jdhu

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 09:03:25 PM »
Just a thought...

I dont know much about SMU, but GMU seems to be focused on economic law...

So, depending on your area of interest, something to consider.  I am interested in econ law, so despite having applied to schools ranked significantly higher than GMU, it remains one of my top choices (if I get in)...

And yes, I have GMU and the area are fun, lots of young people, etc.

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 07:46:24 PM »
are you devoted to studying the law from an ideologically conservative point of view?  If not, go to SMU.  The politicized approach of some of the GMU faculty/ administration is a joke.
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2007, 04:10:35 AM »
are you devoted to studying the law from an ideologically conservative point of view?  If not, go to SMU.  The politicized approach of some of the GMU faculty/ administration is a joke.

Because you disagree with it?

Fascinating.

Hopefully you won't find the wacky liberal ideals dominant in most law schools a joke.

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2007, 04:12:07 AM »

Totally confused! HELP!

Ignore the rankings.  Both are regional programs that will place primarily in their respective regions.

Visit GMU / D.C., and decide if you want to live and work there for a good while.  If not, go with SMU.  Both are good programs.