Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 180 UNTIMED but how do I do this timed???  (Read 2726 times)

Palaw

• View Profile
180 UNTIMED but how do I do this timed???
« on: August 05, 2004, 04:36:26 PM »
I took a preptest untimed last week and got a 180 so I know it's not the material but when I take the test timed the highest I seem to get is a 153.  How can I speed things up w/o sacrificing accuracy?  Any suggestions? 

foxnewssucks

Re: 180 UNTIMED but how do I do this timed???
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2004, 04:54:36 PM »
How long did the section take you?

Palaw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2004, 05:46:24 PM »
The RC and LR section each took about 1 hr and a half (maybe two), LG abt/ 2. 
Thanks for the suggestion enitsirk77 .  I hadn't thought about that.  I will try it on my next test (maybe one of the feb unreleased ones).

Tezcatlipoca

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2004, 05:52:03 PM »
Keep on practicing under timed conditions similar to what Kristine suggested.

2 hrs and 1 and a half?? :o

I wouldnt continue taking the tests untimed.

NYKnicks

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2004, 06:07:09 PM »
Wow Palaw you sure thats practical taking that much time? Maybe you should leniently time yourself to start, maybe like 40-45 min per section, but 2 hours, thats an eternity.

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
  • small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2004, 06:16:11 PM »
im assuming you did this untimed test and rechecked your answers on every section.  if that is the case, here are my incredibly humble suggestions:

- first test: take this test and dont time it.  but, once you find an answer, dont go back to it.  only go back to those questions that youve skipped.  then figure out how much time you spent, as well as your score.  if you still score 180, then go on to the next test.  if you score below a 170, do another test the same way after going over your strategies again.  a bulk of time spent on double checking answers means that youre unsure the first time around.  this will kill your time.  you need to be more confident of your answers on the first try.
- second test:  take the amount of time that you took on the first test and divide it by 4 (im assuming youre not doing an experimental section in your prep.  if you are, divide it by 5).  this is the amount of time that you should use per section for this test.  take the test with this amount.  once you do that, if you dont score 180, then you need to relax.  this might indicate that you work terribly under time constraints, no matter what the time might be.  learn to relax and pace yourself.
- third+ tests:  once you master the second test, take 15 minute increments off the section time until you get to around 45 minutes per section.  once you get to 45, take off 3 minutes at a time and keep seeing how you do.  if you are getting consistent scores, youve beaten the time thing and you just need to do it a bit faster.  if you are getting worse and worse, you needt o relax more now.  if the time thing is killing you, the only way to get over it is to keep taking practice tests.  

these are just my suggestions...some of it worked for me...my first untimed test didnt take me 2 hours a section, but the strategies implemented were pretty similar.
'why does it hurt so much when i poke it?'

Matthew_24_24

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2004, 04:17:24 AM »
Well, at least you know how to arrive at the correct answers.  Now you need to find out if those methods are at all useful under timed conditions.

Moving down to 50 minutes from 2 hours would be a good start.

Matt

DOWNY

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2004, 04:35:45 AM »
No offense, a 180 is great in any capacity, but the trick to the LSAT lies in the timing. With unlimited time a lot of people could hit that score or at least be in the area. Definitelly take the tests timed.

noell

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2004, 10:23:01 AM »
Ok, DOWNY, I will take your advice.  I will take a test timed today.

desmo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2004, 10:24:37 AM »
Shouldn't you be studying?