Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Michigan Law Review?  (Read 1943 times)

gertrude

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Michigan Law Review?
« on: April 11, 2006, 03:25:41 PM »
Does anyone know specifically how students are chosen for law review at UMich? The website is kinda vague: "Members of the first-year class will be invited to join the review on the basis of first-year grades and performance in a writing competition. MLR also has a diversity plan designed to bring a range of perspectives and experiences to its membership."

Towlie

Re: Michigan Law Review?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 06:26:39 PM »
Wow. Affirmative action on law review? Man.. No comment.

beatthebuckeyes

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 07:19:49 PM »
As a Michigan 1L who will be going through this Law Review application process in a couple of weeks, I'll tell you what I know.  There is a writing competition where they give you a predetermined amount of time (this year it's a week) and all of the materials you will need and ask you to write.  This is the single most important part of your application.  The bonus is, it's done after finals instead of during classes like some other places (otherwise I never would have considered trying to write on).  They also require you to write a couple of essays - one I know is about what your note topic will be (FYI for those of you who don't know, a note is a law student scholarly piece designed for publication in law review).  They consider grades and stuff too but emphasize that the writing sample is most important.

Hopefully this answers your question. Since I haven't actually gone through this process, I can only tell you what the older students have told me...
University of Michigan Law, Class of 2008

SanchoPanzo

• Sr. Citizen
  • My avatar is hotter than your avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 08:26:53 PM »
Yesh. When I was at the admit weekend (I attended the first one) I made it a point to ask around about the Law Review process at Michigan - specifically because of the limited information online. Seems the only way to get on law review at Michigan is via writing on. Also, a little birdie told me that the big secret to making law review (at least at Michigan) is making sure you know blue-booking cold. Don't know what blue-booking is? You'll learn in first year. :)
1L
order in the midst of chaos surrounded by order and a sprinkling of mist with chaos flavor. bake 2 hours then serve

Luxor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2006, 09:27:38 PM »
sweet. thanks for the help guys

Are you leaning towards Michigan, meels?  Hope so!

Luxor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2006, 10:14:55 PM »
sweet. thanks for the help guys

Are you leaning towards Michigan, meels?  Hope so!

yup- i was about 50/50 michigan and boalt before i visited boalt this weekend, but i'm now pretty sure i'll be a wolverine unless a miracle happens with stanford :)

Very good to hear!  I must confess that I've been following your LSN for several months, after you made a post in a "chances" thread I created sharing the success you've had with #s similar to mine.  Good luck with Stanford, though at this point I'm sure you're well-aware that it's a win-win-win situation

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2006, 01:40:23 AM »
Wow. Affirmative action on law review? Man.. No comment.

yeah, that is pretty common.
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.

fincavigia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2006, 08:02:46 PM »
How would someone's skin color make a differnece in the quality of their legal research?

Reaching

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2006, 08:30:36 PM »
How would someone's skin color make a differnece in the quality of their legal research?

They're not doing the research: they're the gatekeepers to publication.  There's a difference.

Or alternatively, just tedious bluebooking and cite-checking labor doing work that no sane professor would volunteer to do.

fincavigia

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2006, 08:52:27 PM »
Wow.... So skin color ought to be a factor in deciding who is on law review?