Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Syracuse or UCONN?  (Read 3041 times)

chonralda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Syracuse or UCONN?
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2006, 12:41:45 PM »
That's a tough question....my dream job is something within state dept, either senior policy/ambassador/consul, or something like National security council...which leads me to believe more than a JD is required and a masters, and maybe even phd, might be essential. (which means 'cuse--OR, as my dad said, going to best LS can i, working for few yrs, and then going to best int. affairs/relations masters program ala johns hopkins or harvard)  Now, I dont want to do this right off the bat. Entering govt. work at bottom rung sinks in my opinion. I want to make contacts and some money in private sector, maybe even biglaw, and then jump to govt work....before i'd retire, though, i'd probably go back to private sector to cash in on all of the contacts i'd made during govt. services....

I was SUPPOSED to talk to a prof at uconn today, but he never made his office hrs so i never got back in touch with him. i had been hoping this phone call would straighten out my syr/uconn dilemma! oy...i really dont wanna do both seat deposits, esp since syr is so much (from my perspective and might be money down drain)...like i posted earlier, a lot of those syr classes seem SO cool and that prof artz seems like someone i'd want to know....but it gets back to that whole do i want the best JD (which is what i've assigned to uconn, fairly or not...and even now i question this) or do i want a JD/MA where the MA from maxwell is more impt. than my jd?....

PLus, can i even get into maxwell? if i dont, i might regret going to syr not uconn...and from what ive seen, doing both is brutal and you loose all ability to do anything duirng your summers such as work/intern/go abroad, which are also essential...bah...this is too complicated.
University of Connecticut '09

IN: Miami, Syracuse ($$)
WL: Penn State, Maryland, Case
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=chonralda

law123

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2006, 01:13:21 PM »
That's a tough question....my dream job is something within state dept, either senior policy/ambassador/consul, or something like National security council...which leads me to believe more than a JD is required and a masters, and maybe even phd, might be essential. (which means 'cuse--OR, as my dad said, going to best LS can i, working for few yrs, and then going to best int. affairs/relations masters program ala johns hopkins or harvard)  Now, I dont want to do this right off the bat. Entering govt. work at bottom rung sinks in my opinion. I want to make contacts and some money in private sector, maybe even biglaw, and then jump to govt work....before i'd retire, though, i'd probably go back to private sector to cash in on all of the contacts i'd made during govt. services....

I was SUPPOSED to talk to a prof at uconn today, but he never made his office hrs so i never got back in touch with him. i had been hoping this phone call would straighten out my syr/uconn dilemma! oy...i really dont wanna do both seat deposits, esp since syr is so much (from my perspective and might be money down drain)...like i posted earlier, a lot of those syr classes seem SO cool and that prof artz seems like someone i'd want to know....but it gets back to that whole do i want the best JD (which is what i've assigned to uconn, fairly or not...and even now i question this) or do i want a JD/MA where the MA from maxwell is more impt. than my jd?....

PLus, can i even get into maxwell? if i dont, i might regret going to syr not uconn...and from what ive seen, doing both is brutal and you loose all ability to do anything duirng your summers such as work/intern/go abroad, which are also essential...bah...this is too complicated.

This is interesting becaus it looks like you have some of the same aspirations as I do.  Syracuse is attractive for me because of the excellent JD/MPA program they have with the Maxwell school.  I have recently been trying to find out how hard it is to get into it once your are in the Law School--I'm pretty sure you dont need to take the GREs--I emailed one of the students who spoke with us at the visiting students day, who is doing the JD/Maxwell school program, but he hasn't responded as yet.  At the admitted students day they said they have strong ties to Wasshington (for whatever thats worth).  Also, its pretty cool that they have as a visiting professor the former special prosecutor for the Sierra Leone War Crimes Tribunal; that Sierra Leone Project they have looks interesting too.  If I jad the scholarship to Syracuse that you have I'd go there in a minute.  Unfortunately the cost is a very heavy concern for me.  I wonder if I can justify 160K (seriously) in debt when I could go to Widener (with scholarship) and face like 50K in debt.  I digress. 
I think if you are looking for public policy programs, you cant go wrong with Maxwell.  It has been #1 forever (2 being Harvard's JFK school of Government).  If you find out how hard it is to get into Maxwell from Syr.LS let me know and Ill do the same

law123

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2006, 01:23:23 PM »
I also forgot to mention that the JD/MPA student and the admission person said that since many classes double count, it only takes 1 summer session extra to complete the degree; thus leaving you 2 summers for clerkships/jobs with firms, etc.  Additionally there is no extra charge for the dual degree except for the cost of the summer classes.

chonralda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2006, 09:51:43 PM »
http://www.maxwell.syr.edu/ir/irjd.asp

That 'plan of study' seems intense...i'd be losing a lot of time i could be 'working' or interning and actually making connections/not studying my a$$ off...which is why i like the idea of maybe putting off a masters...but, then again, going back for a masters once im finally done with school seems like a thing i might not want to do later...plus id have to apply again, pay again etc....still, reading over that page, it seems like a tough road, even so far as saying the maxwell classes are harder than law classes!

chonralda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2006, 03:26:46 PM »
(this is from another post in a long running syr thread but republished for friends here)

after FINALLY getting to talk to the prof at uconn i've been waiting to get a hold of (35 min convo!) I've sent my deposit to uconn...it was a tough decision and by no means is syr out of the running...overall, i think it came down to this:

on a no frills assessment, id do uconn over cuse
with my scholarship, id still do uconn over cuse for the difference of 14k over 3 yrs
with syr's focus on int. law and esp the maxwell school, id take SYR....BUT, as the prof at uconn really explained ot me, uconn has not instituted an int. dual degree because they feel its better to get out of the US and go get this type of degree elsewhere, hence their excellent and very popular exhange programs, which are 2/3l oriented...i think in past few days ive decided that, while id love a masters and maxwell is numero uno, i dont want to have to decide which degree to study for when i have finite time and that maxwell takes only 85 people, and its top program, which leaves open chance of NOT getting in and then being unhappy i went to syr...for better or worse, i'm now officially a uconn boy, but ive got till tomorrow morning to send in my syr thing.....

(it was weird, i was in the post office and i could just not bring myself to cut a 400 check to syr...i dont know if i was just being cheap, or if i really was just saying that i wouldnt send them any more money because i knew id not end up going there and it would be best just to decide alreadu)

laurrk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2006, 08:52:23 PM »
Congrats on picking UCONN chonralda. If I weren't so afraid of debt I would probably be joining you.

chonralda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2006, 09:31:15 PM »
What was that debt though?...oh yea, even with in state, you're getting PAID by SYR, which does seem to justify it...we'll have to keep in touch. see if i made a bad decision or not...

laurrk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2006, 10:13:58 AM »
What was that debt though?...oh yea, even with in state, you're getting PAID by SYR, which does seem to justify it...we'll have to keep in touch. see if i made a bad decision or not...

Yeah, UCONN was going to be more than twice as much as Syracuse. Plus the cost of living is higher in CT.

I'm sure you made the right decision, you obviously thought about it a lot. I'm curious about what school will be like at UCONN, though, and what you end up thinking about central CT once you've lived here for a while. I think I'm going to miss it.

chonralda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2006, 10:54:35 AM »
I think I will love it--actually, the admitted students' website has housing stuff up and some of it is not as bad as i feared. i might be even able to come close to what i would have paid in syr, though naturally for a 1bedroom hole in wall vs a 2 bedroom apt at 1100 square feet....

ALSO photos from Uconn and SYR are now on my website http://jdcantor.net

Take a look at Marshall street dining, SYR campus, and apartments!

laurrk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2006, 08:44:25 PM »
Thanks for posting the pics. What did you think about the apartments? What did the surrounding neighborhoods look like?