Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Syracuse or UCONN?  (Read 3021 times)

laurrk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Syracuse or UCONN?
« on: April 11, 2006, 12:49:59 PM »
I sent my deposit to Syracuse, but now I am wondering if I should go to UCONN instead, and I only have a few days left before the UCONN deposit is due - please help!!

Here is my situation: I have no financial aid from UCONN. I had a situation with my taxes and didn't get to file until March because I was waiting for some forms. Long story. So I will not be getting any aid from UCONN or Syracuse. I do live in Mass, so I would get the New England compact state rate at UCONN for the first year, and after that in-state tuition. So based on UCONN's estimates, I'll neet to borrow $110K over three years to go there. I have a $27,800 a year scholarship at Syracuse, so if I keep that for all three years I'd need to borrow about $65K over three years. So UCONN would definitely cost a lot more.

I don't want to do BigLaw, so paying back the debt won't be very easy and is a big concern. I am 27, and I'd like to be able to buy a house shortly after getting out of school, so the less debt the better.

Please help!

chonralda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Syracuse or UCONN?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 01:41:04 PM »
You're 27! :) wow. Did not see that. Ok, I retract my earlier scare advice...in your case, I do think less debt and your much larger scholarship at 'cuse probably DO outweight uconn. Though still go check it out! The 30k is a ton of a difference, not that your too old to take on that load, but it is a bigger consideration than I was aware of before. Really, between uconn and 'cuse you can't go wrong. If you feel syracuse then its a no brainer - go there. But if uconn kinda pulls at you, it might be worth it. As for me, I'll be sending my SOLE deposit tomorrow, dont know where yet, though...ugh
University of Connecticut '09

IN: Miami, Syracuse ($$)
WL: Penn State, Maryland, Case
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=chonralda

FSUGeoff

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - FSUGeoff06
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 03:53:40 PM »
I withdrew from Syracuse today; full price was just too much for me. I did get 8,900 in grants and FWS, but in the end, FIU and the 8K a year tuition for instate was too much to give up.

laurrk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 06:22:46 PM »
You're 27!

Yup, I'm old. :)

So I drove down to UCONN (finally!) today after work and drove around the campus. And by drove around the campus, I mean I drove a square around the block that the law school is on. It was a little disappointing to me. The buildings look gorgeous from the outside, but kind of imposing. From my short drive I determined two things: (1) there may be a serious shortage of parking, judging by the number of cars parked on the streets around the school; and (2) there isn't much there in terms of places to eat lunch, have coffee, etc. I think that I'd feel trapped on campus all day. So I think I can let the UCONN deadline pass without sending them a deposit.

Back to the age thing, though. If I were, say, five years younger then I don't think the debt would be such a big deal. But I would like to have kids, and I don't want to be struggling with the cost of raising kids, a mortgage, and over $100K of debt all at the same time. So it's off to Syracuse for me. It's kind of like FSUGeoff's situation - in the end, it would just cost too much to go to UCONN.

As for me, I'll be sending my SOLE deposit tomorrow, dont know where yet, though...ugh

Good luck with your decision, Chonralda - they are both great schools with their own advantages and disadvantages.

chonralda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2006, 07:57:34 PM »
laurrk - someone asked about parking, and they said its never a problem. most of the student body lives in those houses around campus and just walk. otherwise people can park free on any of the side streets and i dont think there is a sticker program, you just park in the ls parking lots...unless its faculty (i think - i need to look into it again)....it does look imposing, but that's kinda the way i like a ls to look - gotta remember my 'ideal' ls is UM's, which is very much in that gothic style...yes, i did not like the whole separate thing, but from what ive gotten out of other students, even at 'cuse, is that you dont leave the blding all day anyways, esp in winter, so it doesnt really matter if there is a Marshall st. down the corner or not...you always end up driving...NOW, I would prefer an undergrad campus right there ala UM of SYR, but its not one of my high criteria...i hear you on family/kids/morgage thing, though none of those apply to me (not interested in marriage, kids, or buying a house)

J
University of Connecticut '09

IN: Miami, Syracuse ($$)
WL: Penn State, Maryland, Case
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=chonralda

laurrk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2006, 08:18:53 PM »
most of the student body lives in those houses around campus and just walk.

That makes sense...not sure if I can picture myself living in one of those houses, though. I want a nice apartment all to myself.

The debt thing really freaks me out, though. Actually, the reason that I applied to law school in the first place is because I found out that you could potentially go for free with a merit scholarship. By free I mean the tuition, not living expenses or anything. Anyway, last June I was hating my job and thinking about going to grad school. I wanted to go to grad school so that I could have a job that I enjoyed and so I could earn more money. Unfortunately the areas that I was thinking of (teaching, social work) do not pay so well. And it was hard to rationalize taking out all those student loans just to graduate with a degree that got me maybe an extra $15K a year in salary.

So then my ex was saying that the most cost effective graduate degree is law school. He was talking about my personal situation and interests, so take that statement with a grain of salt - I'm sure there are many other degrees that would mean a big payoff in the end. But the point was, if I could get the tuition paid for (or mostly paid for), then the debt would be reasonable. I don't want to do BigLaw, so I don't see myself with a job that pays enough to make the debt go away within a few years of graduation. I have gotten sidetracked by the rankings a little. Yes, UCONN is a better school than Syracuse in terms of rankings. But Syracuse comes with a much cheaper price tag, and that is huge for me.

Plus I sent my $400 to Syracuse, and I am pretty psyched to start there. I really just need Saturday to come so that it's too late to change my mind.  :)

ajstyles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2006, 08:52:08 PM »
I withdrew from Syracuse today; full price was just too much for me. I did get 8,900 in grants and FWS, but in the end, FIU and the 8K a year tuition for instate was too much to give up.

Wow dude I didn't know you were about to withdraw.  You seemed pretty much set on 'Cuse.  I really hope me and Loki's comments did not play a huge part in your decision. 

ajstyles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2006, 08:55:01 PM »
Where is UCONN ranked? I really didn't like 'Cuse when I went...BUT...they gave me no $$$.  They have given you a considerable amount...since debt is a huge concern for you, you should really think about the merit $$$.

LizA

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2006, 09:03:45 PM »
You seemed pretty set on Syracuse before...i think your instincts lean toward Syracuse so you should stick to it unless you have a very good reason for preferring UConn. Where can you picture yourself the most? Who has the programs you're most interested in? Whose student body would you fit in with more? Being 27 is no big deal, I am as well. Just make the choice that gives you the most peace.

FSUGeoff

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - FSUGeoff06
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2006, 09:04:05 PM »

Wow dude I didn't know you were about to withdraw.  You seemed pretty much set on 'Cuse.  I really hope me and Loki's comments did not play a huge part in your decision. 

Defiantly not, It was purely cost benefit analysis, I'm an economics major  ;D  Iím not so wishy-washy that an internet message board can affect life changing decisions like this.