Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Loyola vs. Hastings vs. Davis  (Read 1075 times)

mdpeterson42

• View Profile
Loyola vs. Hastings vs. Davis
« on: April 11, 2006, 11:26:38 AM »

I am a So Cal guy and am having a tough time with this one. Obviously with initial seat deposits due, I don't want to waste the money on a school I'm not ever going to go to.

I was unable to attend either the Hastings or Davis admit days, so I don't have a good feel for either school. But obviously, they are both much higher ranked than Loyola (and with Loyola dropping in the rankings, it is cause for concern). In addition, they both rate higher in bar passage rate, employment upon graduation, and average starting salary. Also, I know someone who said he would have gone to Hastings over USC if he hadn't gotten in to UCLA.

But, Loyola is supposed to have one of the top litigation programs in the country and is supposed to have a much better regional reputation than a national reputation, and since I will most likely want to work in the LA area, Loyola might provide a better opportunity for that.

So, while Hastings and Davis are both statistically better schools and have higher reputations, is it worth uprooting my wife and kid to move up to Nor Cal? Are they that much better than Loyola?

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.
Lets get married: Loyola, Hastings, Davis, George Mason
It's not you, it's me. OK - it's you: Berkeley, Georgetown, UCLA
If it doesn't work out with my current boyfriend, I'll choose you: Northwestern, William & Mary, USC

mjca83

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Loyola vs. Hastings vs. Davis
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 02:02:46 PM »
Probably not worth it if you have a wife and kids.  I am Hastings' #1 fan and am planning on going there, but Loyola is still a decent school, especially if you are confident you will want to work in Los Angeles.  If you were a kid out of college, I'd say Hastings or Davis.  If your family has no problem with moving somewhere, probably Davis is a better place to raise kids than Hastings (and less expensive). 

jballer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 02:35:39 PM »
Yeah I'd stay in LA too.  I don't think moving to nor cal is worth it if you want to work in LA and you have a family.  Loyola is similar to Hastings in the sense that ranking doesn't matter that much because there is an alumni base that thinks highly of the school.   

mdpeterson42

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 10:03:26 PM »
bump
If it doesn't work out with my current boyfriend, I'll choose you: Northwestern, William & Mary, USC

Guess who's coming to dinner?!?

• Sr. Citizen
  • Don't call it a come back
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2006, 02:15:24 AM »
Hmmmmmm. Like mjca I am big on hastings and I would suggest calling career services at Hastings and asking what the deal is with their L.A placement.  I called the other day to find out how OCI works and they were very nice and informative and HONEST!  Said for top firm you need to be in the the top 9%  to not trip.  That's about 36/37 people ( acutally 36.4).  Hastings rocks and I don't doubt that a grad who placed high at Hastings ( top 25% or so) would beat a Loyola grad unless they've done something pretty cool like LR or Moot. 

So do you have a family and what do you want to do with your jd?
There's no homework in Law School

mdpeterson42

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2006, 01:16:33 AM »
Yeah, I think calling career services is a good idea. I have a couple contacts at law firms in LA, which is where I'm from and where I will probably end up, and they seem to think that being in top 10% at Hastings or being in top 10% at Loyola would be required to land a job at a big firm. Anywhere else but LA and Hastings would be the certain bet. But, because Loyola has a good reputation in LA, it's not much worse off than LA. Plus, the head of the LA office of O'Melveny & Meyers is a Loyola grad, so that might help getting into that firm.

Yeah, I have a wife and a 9-month old. Relocating would require finding somewhere to live, and of course the city won't be affordable. Plus, my wife will have to find a new job, which is not a guarantee. I am leaning toward Loyola is UCLA, USC, and Northwestern don't come through.

Guess who's coming to dinner?!?

• Sr. Citizen
  • Don't call it a come back
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2006, 02:21:01 AM »
Yeah, I think calling career services is a good idea. I have a couple contacts at law firms in LA, which is where I'm from and where I will probably end up, and they seem to think that being in top 10% at Hastings or being in top 10% at Loyola would be required to land a job at a big firm. Anywhere else but LA and Hastings would be the certain bet. But, because Loyola has a good reputation in LA, it's not much worse off than LA. Plus, the head of the LA office of O'Melveny & Meyers is a Loyola grad, so that might help getting into that firm.

Yeah, I have a wife and a 9-month old. Relocating would require finding somewhere to live, and of course the city won't be affordable. Plus, my wife will have to find a new job, which is not a guarantee. I am leaning toward Loyola is UCLA, USC, and Northwestern don't come through.

Oh NW...I want to see who actually gets in off that HUGE waitlist.  That thing is SCAREY!!!!!!! But it does sound like Loyola is the best bet for you--seems like you have evrything worked out--I'm sur you'll do great wherever you go! Congrats!
There's no homework in Law School