Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Latest news on DUKE Lacrosse team and NC Central Student  (Read 2655 times)

Redsparow1

• Sr. Citizen
  • hmm...somethings missing....
    • View Profile
    • The numbers
Re: Latest news on DUKE Lacrosse team and NC Central Student
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2006, 10:29:29 AM »
So is there anyway that we can frame this story without bias or alluding to a hidden agenda?  I think lacrosse team v. Stripper both addresses their hobbies. However stripper does have a negative conotation in our culture...perhaps if they did more charity work that would change.....hmmmmm
"Outside of a dog, a book is probably man's best friend; inside
of a dog, it's too dark to read."
      -Groucho Marx
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=Redsparow1

prestigesq

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2006, 10:44:52 AM »
I don't get what the big deal is.  Prestigious people are allowed to rape unprestigious ttts.

Slow Blues

« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2006, 10:56:56 AM »
Oh, I'm sure you can see it for yourself.

There are many ways to frame this story. None of them are "ridiculous". The choices on how to frame it just depend on who you are, that's all.  :)

Interesting point related to this. Last year, a woman who had moved to NYC from some Midwestern state to pursue an acting career was murdered by her ex-boyfriend. The location of the crime, in the Upper East Side (a very nice part of town), the vicious nature of the crime (she was almost decapitated, I think), and the fact that the deceased was relatively attractive made this front-page news in New York. Now, the headlines read "Dancer Murdered in Upper East Side", but when you read the article, it goes on to say the poor girl hadn't found any paying acting work in NYC and had turned to stripping to pay the bills. Interesting choices of words.

redemption

« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2006, 11:02:31 AM »
Oh, I'm sure you can see it for yourself.

There are many ways to frame this story. None of them are "ridiculous". The choices on how to frame it just depend on who you are, that's all.  :)

Interesting point related to this. Last year, a woman who had moved to NYC from some Midwestern state to pursue an acting career was murdered by her ex-boyfriend. The location of the crime, in the Upper East Side (a very nice part of town), the vicious nature of the crime (she was almost decapitated, I think), and the fact that the deceased was relatively attractive made this front-page news in New York. Now, the headlines read "Dancer Murdered in Upper East Side", but when you read the article, it goes on to say the poor girl hadn't found any paying acting work in NYC and had turned to stripping to pay the bills. Interesting choices of words.

Quite.

redemption

« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2006, 11:04:35 AM »
So is there anyway that we can frame this story without bias or alluding to a hidden agenda?  I think lacrosse team v. Stripper both addresses their hobbies. However stripper does have a negative conotation in our culture...perhaps if they did more charity work that would change.....hmmmmm

All agendas are hidden if one is too lazy to read properly. Fox News' agenda is to make it clear that she is trash, and that the event - if it happened - is understandable, wink-wink, nudge-nudge.

favor24

• The countdown begins...
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2006, 11:28:09 AM »
The title of this thread is utterly ridiculous.  The jerks on the lacrosse team hired a stripper (two, actually), who happened to be a Central student.  Framing the issue as "Duke lacrosse players rape Central student" (even though it's look less and less like that's what happened, but we'll assume it for the sake of argument) would be appropriate if they went over to Central, nabbed some student, and then raped her.  That's not what happened.  They hired a stripper (with a criminal record and who apparently showed up completely inebriated).

Why not frame the issue as "Duke lacrosse players accused of raping ex-con"?  That's just as accurate as referring to her as a "NCCU student", and probably more relevant.

OUCH...I didn't the TITLE of the thread was going to be such a big issue.   

I simply titled the thread in the mind set I was in after reading the current story.  My question centered around whether or not the alleged victim's background plays a role in the layout of the investigation agianst the lacrosse team.  I am sure that anyone who read the title (riduculous or not) knew what it was referring to.  That was its purpose, I am not the reporter and in this instance it was not my intention to find the most news worthy title for beginning the thread.
Every obstacle presents an opportunity to improve our condition.

Redsparow1

• Sr. Citizen
  • hmm...somethings missing....
    • View Profile
    • The numbers
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2006, 11:59:27 AM »
Okay...okay...so the question still remains, how could you title this so that it most fairly and accurately describes the situation, without playing into agendas or biases. Is it even possible? Red? anyone? This is an interesting social psychology exercise....
"Outside of a dog, a book is probably man's best friend; inside
of a dog, it's too dark to read."
      -Groucho Marx
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=Redsparow1

redemption

« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2006, 12:11:32 PM »
Okay...okay...so the question still remains, how could you title this so that it most fairly and accurately describes the situation, without playing into agendas or biases. Is it even possible? Red? anyone? This is an interesting social psychology exercise....

It is not possible. It doesn't mean anything to say "fairly" and "accurately". I think that I've now made this point in just about as many different ways that I can  :)

dwarflegs7

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2006, 12:52:11 PM »
This is unrelated to the whole "framing of the issue" question, but it relates to the situation on the whole.  I was wondering if all DAs are elected, or if this is only in certain states.  The reason I was wondering is that much has been made about this guy's re-election bid and how it may or may not be impacting his decision making regarding this case.  Election does not seem like a good way to decide who the DA will be.  Not only is it possible that this is all a political play (not saying it is, but it is at least hypothetically possible), but if a rape did occur, electing DAs allows the public to marginalize any claim that it does not want to believe.  If this woman was raped, the fact that it is an election year for the DA allows many who do not want to accept the claim write it off as politics.  So, in some sense, both sides can get screwed by this system of electing DAs.

Doesn't appointment seem more reasonable?  Just a thought...