Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Harvard Admit Weekend - April Review  (Read 1491 times)

WarrenG

• Sr. Citizen
  • Me
    • MSN Messenger - WarrenG24@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Harvard Admit Weekend - April Review
« on: April 11, 2006, 09:38:40 AM »
IMO it was a fantastic weekend.  I was pretty much convinced before but this weekend really sealed the deal. 

Saturday
The tour itself was only okay, but it was a great opportunity to meet alot of people.  The negotiation workshop was tough but enjoyable.  I missed of saturday because I had been up since 3:00 am and desperately needed some sleep

Sunday
Dershowitz was good, he made alot of interesting points.  The human rights guy was kind of boring.  He just presented his research which, I would imagine, would be of little interest to most people interested in HR.  The international law panel was great.  Jim Cavallero (sp?) was great and he really sold me on Harvard as the best HR place in the world.  The internet guy (why he was on the international law panel we'll never know) was very interesting and funny also.  Dean Kagan was very good and answered all of our questions well.  The only thing that was not impressive about her was all of the ums, ahs and long paused she had.  And the all of the admits who weren't there may be interested to know that we may have talked her into getting a jacuzi for the students  ;) The organization were very diverse and they did a good job answering my questions.  I signed up for more info on about 7 of them.  After that I was beat again and went back to my hotel.

Monday
The financial aid panel did a great job putting alot of my fears to rest.  The LIPP program seems too good to be true for us PI people.  I had lunch with Jim Cavallero (Human rights head) and he was very passionate about what he does.  He sold me on the whole "You name the organization, or issue, or place of the world and we'll get you a placement their" line (I'm condensing what he said).  Dean Kagan once again did a good job selling the whole big school thing to us.  The mock class with Warren was fantastic.  She's very funny (she used all of these old school slang words like buster, yahoo, girlie etc.), very energetic and seemingly very passionate about what she was teaching.  She's definitely a prof whose course you want to get into. 

Overall
The food was great (especially the brownies), the people were very laided back and friendly (quite the opposite of the stereotype), the public transportation system makes travel without a car very easy, The opportunities available to a Harvard graduate are unmatched (staing the obvious here), the opportunity to cross register is incredible (up to 5 course in the other Harvard schools may be taken towards your JD if I'm not mistaken), the dean seems really committed to improving student life (just email her with suggestions on how to do it), Boston is a nice town with lots going on, Harvard is beautiful, I'm sure I'll have more later.

PS. If I met any of you without knowing it let me know.  I think I saw Bass on the Saturday waiting for someone near the registration desk (I would have asked but I didn't want my first act of Harvard to be a mistaken identity) and I think I saw KB (the girl in the pink sweater in the right corner when Dean Kagan was speaking; I'm guessing but she looked like a girl who was half Korean and half Black). 

PPS. I'm sending in the deposit as soon as I get my passport photos.
"That which we believe to be real becomes real in it's consequences."

H4CS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Harvard Admit Weekend - April Review
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 11:17:58 AM »
Hey Warren.  I was at the same table as you for w/ Jim Cavallaro. You are correct, that man is quite persuasive.

WarrenG

• Sr. Citizen
  • Me
    • MSN Messenger - WarrenG24@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 01:40:42 PM »
Which one were you?
"That which we believe to be real becomes real in it's consequences."

H4CS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 03:18:44 PM »
Which one were you?

I spoke about trafficking in women at the beginning.

bass

• Sr. Citizen
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2006, 03:47:32 PM »
I think I saw Bass on the Saturday waiting for someone near the registration desk (I would have asked but I didn't want my first act of Harvard to be a mistaken identity)

You may have seen me.  On Saturday I was wearing a light green cable sweater with dark jeans, I was tall (still am) with a cheesy 40-yr old haircut.

heybrent

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006, 06:15:27 PM »
I think I saw Bass on the Saturday waiting for someone near the registration desk (I would have asked but I didn't want my first act of Harvard to be a mistaken identity)

You may have seen me.  On Saturday I was wearing a light green cable sweater with dark jeans, I was tall (still am) with a cheesy 40-yr old haircut.

Ahh Bass you keep using the haircut line but it's not that cheesy.  Your interest in constitutional law, though, makes you v. dorky!

bass

• Sr. Citizen
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2006, 10:55:26 PM »

Ahh Bass you keep using the haircut line but it's not that cheesy.  Your interest in constitutional law, though, makes you v. dorky!

Watch the "dorky" lines: you might upset someone like you did at the ASW.  ;)

absy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2006, 11:21:06 PM »
You mentioned really wanting to get into Warren's class, and I remember having the same feeling.  I also really wanted to be in Martha Minow's class.  I was disappointed when I didn't get either of them for my 1L section.  I didn't even have a big name that I recognized. 

I feel so silly now.  I loved my professors first semester, and one especially has developed a lasting mentor relationship.  So don't feel too bad if you don't end up getting what you want; you might end up with something even better.

heybrent

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2006, 04:03:31 PM »
You mentioned really wanting to get into Warren's class, and I remember having the same feeling.  I also really wanted to be in Martha Minow's class.  I was disappointed when I didn't get either of them for my 1L section.  I didn't even have a big name that I recognized. 

I feel so silly now.  I loved my professors first semester, and one especially has developed a lasting mentor relationship.  So don't feel too bad if you don't end up getting what you want; you might end up with something even better.

absy can't help himself shilling for Harvard even when he's talking to people who've already mailed in their checks.   ;D

David

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2006, 11:22:11 AM »

absy can't help himself shilling for Harvard even when he's talking to people who've already mailed in their checks.   ;D

I can only hope that I love my experience at HLS as much as Absy seems to. If so, I'll definitely follow in his footsteps and troll for Harvard.   ;D
HLS '09