Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: help me choosing the RIGHT school  (Read 1076 times)

Goodfella Aaron

Re: help me choosing the RIGHT school
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2006, 11:20:39 PM »
I'd go with GULC. Even if the APLSA isn't strong there is a big Asian presence, that scholarship $$$$ is nothing to sneeze at and despite people ragging on GULC for being at the bottom of the T14 it has more employers do OCI than any other school save Harvard because of its massive size. I'd check NALP data and look at top SF/LA firms' websites to see how many GULC associates they've hired the past few years and how well they did there. My problem with GULC was more personal than anything and if you fit in there then you should strongly consider it.

piggy-buttercup

• Sr. Citizen
  • hi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2006, 12:12:36 AM »
are you set on boalt?

With Berkeley, does your aid take into account that tuition drops by over 10,000 for the 2nd and 3rd year?

It's such a tough call with the aid offers, scholarships, and awesome schools. Given that you want to work in California, I'd say Berkeley is probably the best fit for you, and the massive asian population of the Bay Area certainly will help you not feel like an outcast. Philadelphia also has a great Asian population and so does UPenn in general (though I'm not sure if the Law School does), so you might want to consider that too. Either way, you can't go wrong!

I had a blast at Penn. If not Boalt, then I would say go there.  It's an ivy and you cannot underestimate the level of networking that can be had at those schools...plus I think the Penn name carries more weight on the West Coast than UVA...just my opinion though

kuokuo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Bear Territory
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2006, 12:40:13 AM »
are you set on boalt?

With Berkeley, does your aid take into account that tuition drops by over 10,000 for the 2nd and 3rd year?

It's such a tough call with the aid offers, scholarships, and awesome schools. Given that you want to work in California, I'd say Berkeley is probably the best fit for you, and the massive asian population of the Bay Area certainly will help you not feel like an outcast. Philadelphia also has a great Asian population and so does UPenn in general (though I'm not sure if the Law School does), so you might want to consider that too. Either way, you can't go wrong!

I had a blast at Penn. If not Boalt, then I would say go there.  It's an ivy and you cannot underestimate the level of networking that can be had at those schools...plus I think the Penn name carries more weight on the West Coast than UVA...just my opinion though

Pretty much...It was my top/dream school going into the Application process.  I'm in state, so it's cheaper than the rest.  I'm also pretty familiar with the area...so I wont be too distracted with trying to figure out things (where to live, where to eat, where to study, etc.)

The asian population didn't affect my decision much...but I did think Boalt's APALSA seemed closer knit than the other schools'. 

KT

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2006, 12:44:17 AM »
hey fellow most likely boalt kids,

would you vote for me in this poll?  you know, future alma mater pride and all...

J's a pansy anyway.

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,59397.0.html
Lovers: Washington and Lee, Georgetown, UVA, Duke, NYU, Columbia, Chicago, Berkeley!
Haters: Michigan, Stanford, Harvard

My new boyfriend: Virginia!

kuokuo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Bear Territory
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2006, 01:32:09 AM »
hey fellow most likely boalt kids,

would you vote for me in this poll?  you know, future alma mater pride and all...

J's a pansy anyway.

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,59397.0.html

Done  :)