Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Suing for the right to be intolerant?  (Read 2663 times)

terralily

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
Re: Suing for the right to be intolerant?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 08:35:46 PM »
I don't understand how not saying anything is effecting their religion.  Its not like not saying that all gays are evil or whatever their arguement is is going to keep them out of their heaven.  Or instead of saying homsexuality is bad, why not talk about heterosexuality being good. Oh, right, because ANY kind of sexuality is bad to them...I forget these things sometimes  ;) Anyways I hope they lose but at the rate this country is going  they'll win and I'll probably be forced back into the kitchen, barefoot and pregnant in the next decade or so.
Windy City here I come....DePaul it is!!!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=terralily

Freak

• Sr. Citizen
  • What's your agenda?!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - smileyill4663
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - smileyill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 08:44:51 PM »
It's all about words.
Freak is the best, Freak is the best!  Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
I don't like calling you Freak, I'd rather call you  Normal Nice Guy.

ADM

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ninjasinpyjamas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 09:10:52 PM »
While I don't necessarily agree with gay bashing, don't the Christians have a point?  Do you really want a country where we make laws forcing people to believe certain things are OK and others aren't? 

I agree. Though I think that if the line between free speech and hate speech is crossed, GIT shouldn't wait to take punitive action.

Freak

• Sr. Citizen
  • What's your agenda?!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - smileyill4663
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - smileyill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 09:17:03 PM »
Well how should hate speech be defined?
Freak is the best, Freak is the best!  Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
I don't like calling you Freak, I'd rather call you  Normal Nice Guy.

SCgrad

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2006, 06:33:46 AM »
From the article:

"The open question is what constitutes harassment, what's a sincere expression of faith — and what to do when they overlap."

I don't see this type of thing going away any time soon.  Also on another note, the bible does not teach that homosexuals are evil.  Same with fornicators, or adulterers, or any other “sin.”  It's the action, not the person (the article was not all that clear on what she was actually saying or wanted to say).  Racism and sexism attack the person, not their beliefs or lifestyles.   Would the university say that someone who speaks out against values supported by the Church was being intolerant of others based on their religions?  What would be left to speak out against?  You can’t oppose the war, cause you are criticizing, or being intolerant towards, Republicans (well, the stupid ones).

terralily

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2006, 01:00:38 PM »
While I don't necessarily agree with gay bashing, don't the Christians have a point?  Do you really want a country where we make laws forcing people to believe certain things are OK and others aren't? 

Just because there is a law that says you can't harass people doesn't mean it is forcing you to believe that what they do is ok.  I believe that the these Christian are moronic hate mongers but, I don't run around and yell this from the roof tops because then my belief becomes hate speech.   
Windy City here I come....DePaul it is!!!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=terralily

verbal213

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go crazy folks, go crazy!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2006, 01:15:17 PM »
Respecting free speech means allowing people to protest gay pride month as much as it means allowing people to have a gay pride month.  For the record, I'm an evangelical Christian, and the Bible does teach that homosexuality is a sin.  Whoever said that it doesn't teach the homosexuals are evil is correct.  The vast majority of Christians will tell you that the Bible teaches that all sins are equal. 

However, GIT is totally wrong to ban speaking out against homosexuality.  Of course you have to draw a reasonable line between harassment and speech.  But you can't just prevent some speech that people might be offended by.  That's the point of the 1st amendment.

verb
<a href="http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=verbal213> LSN [/url]

Meatwad make the money, see.  Meatwad get the honeys, G.  Driving in my car, living like a star, ice on my fingers and my toes and on my Taurus.

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2006, 01:32:57 PM »
Respecting free speech means allowing people to protest gay pride month as much as it means allowing people to have a gay pride month.  For the record, I'm an evangelical Christian, and the Bible does teach that homosexuality is a sin.  Whoever said that it doesn't teach the homosexuals are evil is correct.  The vast majority of Christians will tell you that the Bible teaches that all sins are equal. 

However, GIT is totally wrong to ban speaking out against homosexuality.  Of course you have to draw a reasonable line between harassment and speech.  But you can't just prevent some speech that people might be offended by.  That's the point of the 1st amendment.

verb

I agree with the sentiments expressed that homosexual activity is the sin, and that ad hominem attacks on sinners are generally misdirected.  I would state, however, that since these sorts of Christians believe that gays are making an active choice to sin, and do not repent for their homosexual activity because they do not believe that it is a sin, that they cannot attain the kingdom of heaven because they do not ask forgiveness and give their lives over to Jesus.  No amount of legislation is going to get gays and Christians out of this quandary.

I think that based on our nation's non-discrimination laws, any public condonement of such discrimination should be illegal.  If you don't like it, work for policy change.
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

verbal213

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go crazy folks, go crazy!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2006, 02:48:38 PM »

verb

I agree with the sentiments expressed that homosexual activity is the sin, and that ad hominem attacks on sinners are generally misdirected.  I would state, however, that since these sorts of Christians believe that gays are making an active choice to sin, and do not repent for their homosexual activity because they do not believe that it is a sin, that they cannot attain the kingdom of heaven because they do not ask forgiveness and give their lives over to Jesus.  No amount of legislation is going to get gays and Christians out of this quandary.

I think that based on our nation's non-discrimination laws, any public condonement of such discrimination should be illegal.  If you don't like it, work for policy change.

How is it discrimination?  It's just a statement of what they believe.  No one is saying that GIT should allow Christians to discriminate against gays.  All they want is to not be punished for stating their beliefs.
<a href="http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=verbal213> LSN [/url]

Meatwad make the money, see.  Meatwad get the honeys, G.  Driving in my car, living like a star, ice on my fingers and my toes and on my Taurus.