Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Brooklyn vs. 20K @Hofstra  (Read 734 times)

Quintana

• View Profile
Brooklyn vs. 20K @Hofstra
« on: April 10, 2006, 06:21:28 PM »
   I'm interested in public interest, criminal and labor law.  I'd like to be in the city and I would be able to live rent free in Park Slope.  I know Brooklyn has the better rep, but the $$ is really tempting.  Would commuting to Hempstead from Brooklyn be feasible?  Any input would be appreciated.
Attending Brooklyn Law School

SamSpade

• View Profile
Re: Brooklyn vs. 20K @Hofstra
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 10:57:58 PM »
I agree with bender.  Frankly, I wouldn't want to face the daily grind of a commute more than anything else.
Attending BLS in Fall '06...

chevelle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 11:48:46 PM »
Would commuting to Hempstead from Brooklyn be feasible?  Any input would be appreciated.

It's feasible...you'd usually be going the opposite way of the heavy traffic (away from the city in the morning, towards the city later in the day)...but it's still some time in the car. I chose Hofstra over St. John's because I didn't want to spend so much time commuting from Long Island.

Brooklyn places better in the city though, Hofstra is fine if you wouldn't mind working on Long Island for at least awhile.

Quintana

• View Profile
Re: Brooklyn vs. 20K @ Hofstra
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 01:17:32 PM »
  Bump.  Its crunch time now.  I really think Brooklyn would present more possiblities for me, but I just can't get around the debt issue.  Heart says Brooklyn, brain is undecided... Thoughts?

krumanadi

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2006, 01:26:40 PM »
Brooklyn was my #1 choice.  Hofstra offered 25k, SJU matched that.  I am going to SJU because I don't care what anyone says, there is not SUCH a big difference between the two, and it makes no sense to go into all that debt, for little extra added bonus.  Fact is, outside the T14, it doesnt make all the difference.  The biggest difference between the schools is BIGLAW possibilities, so if that is a concern for you, then you have to take that into consideration.  If it's not a concern, go to Hofstra.

Saget

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2006, 02:05:43 PM »
I was left to decide between some money from Broolyn and lots of money from St. John's and Hofstra. I asked the opinion of every English-Speaking person I knew. While no, my mail man wasn't qualified to advise me on this subject, I wanted to hear from everyone. The people who knew about law and law school said what's already been said over and over- "there is not a big enough difference between those school to pass up a free ride." The people who knew nothing about these schools or the process etc. said "take the money." After eliminating Brooklyn I chose between the other two schools based on important-to-me but admittedly ridiculous "soft" factors. Which reception did I feel the most comfortable at? Which bathroom was the cleanest? Which group of admitted students seemed the least anal? Long story short, pick a school you wont be miserable in for three years.
I see myself as a huge fiery comet, a shooting star. Everyone stops, points up and gasps "Oh look at that!" Then - whoosh, and I'm gone... and they'll never see anything like it ever again, and they won't be able to forget me - ever.

krumanadi

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2006, 02:09:19 PM »
I was left to decide between some money from Broolyn and lots of money from St. John's and Hofstra. I asked the opinion of every English-Speaking person I knew. While no, my mail man wasn't qualified to advise me on this subject, I wanted to hear from everyone. The people who knew about law and law school said what's already been said over and over- "there is not a big enough difference between those school to pass up a free ride." The people who knew nothing about these schools or the process etc. said "take the money." After eliminating Brooklyn I chose between the other two schools based on important-to-me but admittedly ridiculous "soft" factors. Which reception did I feel the most comfortable at? Which bathroom was the cleanest? Which group of admitted students seemed the least anal? Long story short, pick a school you wont be miserable in for three years.

Good advice.  Where did you end up choosing?

Quintana

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2006, 02:17:30 PM »
  Thanks guys, I appreciate the input.  I'd need to maintain a 3.25 GPA to keep the scholarship after 1L and though I'm fairly confident, I'd like to be realistic.  If I assume the worst and it only ends up being $20K total, does this change things?  It really seems like the clinical programs at BLS will open more doors to areas that I'm interested in.   

krumanadi

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2006, 02:19:32 PM »
  Thanks guys, I appreciate the input.  I'd need to maintain a 3.25 GPA to keep the scholarship after 1L and though I'm fairly confident, I'd like to be realistic.  If I assume the worst and it only ends up being $20K total, does this change things?  It really seems like the clinical programs at BLS will open more doors to areas that I'm interested in.   

20k total difference, I'd say go to Brooklyn.  But you must be confident in order to succeed, so I wouldn't look at it like that.  Believe you will maintain the scholarship and you'll have a better chance at doing so.

Saget

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2006, 02:29:56 PM »
Harvey......I chose St. John's.

The scholarship fine print was also a big factor in my decision. Not that I don't intend to do well, but St. John's only requires that I stay in the top half of my class to keep my scholarship. Brooklyn, where I'd only be getting 15k a year, required I stay in the top 30% or something along those lines.
I see myself as a huge fiery comet, a shooting star. Everyone stops, points up and gasps "Oh look at that!" Then - whoosh, and I'm gone... and they'll never see anything like it ever again, and they won't be able to forget me - ever.