Law School Discussion

University of Florida Residency

loki13

• Exterminate all rational thought.
    • View Profile
University of Florida Residency
« on: April 10, 2006, 11:52:48 AM »
Well, I thought my mind was made up on UF. While I have lived out of state since the end of 2004, I am a Florida native, lived in Gainesville 2003-2004, and plan on moving back there for good. Also, another poster said 90% of out-of-staters get Florida residency for 2L and 3L.

Here's the rub. I finally got around to calling the registrar and spoke to the residency expert. After listening to me, all she said was that all applicants are decided on a case-by-case basis and that people from out-of-state should plan on paying out-of-state tuition for the duration of their stay. I spoke to the Director of Admissions at UF and he was, well, a little vague. As in, he KNOWS NOTHINGK, and couldn't comment, and yeah, better budget on full freight.

Huh? So, anyone have the real scoop on this? I've heard that it's relatively easy for law students. But now everyone in an official capacity at UF is putting the fear o' Mammon in me, because I can't afford to pay full freight for three years. So what is it? Is it easy? Is it hard? Is officialdom just being squirrely so they can cover their collective behinds (never promise anything) and dissuade freeloadin' out of staters from coming to UF?

BigRig

• Detroit Basketball!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - BTRig12
    • View Profile
Re: University of Florida Residency
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 12:57:20 PM »
While competitive spirit dissuades me from offering a hand to the opposition, for sake of the bond among future legal professionals I will supply my knowledge/experience with the issue  ;D

I, of course, have interacted with FSU. They also can offer no assurance but believe that the law will stay the same; meaning law students have little problem establishing residency so long as the complete necessary steps one year before the first day of their second year in law school. I am not sure of the exact steps (driver's license, voter's registration, statement to live/work in Florida, .....).

Gov. Bush abruptly vetoed the bill last year and will likely veto the new proposal this year according to FSU students/faculty/administration. There is no formal comment suggesting this but this was the consensus I gathered when visiting on their admit day. Also, in the case of FSU, alumni pooled funds together for last year's entering class who came to FSU under the pretense of establishing residency their second year to cover the difference.

To me, it sounds like UF (arguably, like a good lawyer) is just trying to cover their ass. I have never lived in Florida but will be attending FSU based upon the likelihood that the law will not change and that the law school might offer rescue if law changes after I've committed to attending under current state law.

loki13

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 01:19:08 PM »
Okay... so the bill last year (2264) was vetoed. But they have or have they not passed an identical bill this year?

*sigh* This seems to be a particularly unsettled time to be making a blind decision that could cost upwards of 40k.

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 02:07:46 PM »
I would definitely agree that UF is likely covering themselves by equivocating on this issue.  While I'm not on the residency committee (obviously), I would think your case for residency for tuition purposes would be excellent, based on your circumstances.  Just make sure you change your permanent and local address, register your car and yourself to vote, all before you start classes this fall, and I think you'll be fine.

As for 2264, I couldn't find an update on that, but Bush did veto 2264 for exactly the reasons you're concerned about, so it is reasonable to assume he would do so again.  I know, I know, a lot of ifs.  Sorry I can't be more definitive.  :(

BigRig

• Detroit Basketball!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - BTRig12
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 02:11:06 PM »
I apologize if I did not answer this above.  There has been no change to existing state law regarding residency transfer for graduate/professional students seeking residency in the state of FL after their first year.  There are talks of a revised proposal that (to my knowledge) is yet to be brought in front of the legislature. It is the "off the record view" of those at FSU that any such proposal will again be vetoed.  As of now, absolutely nothing has changed. I'd ask current FSU 1Ls who came from out of state how/if they plan to obtain residency after their first year and the requisite steps they followed to do so.  I'd also ask UF how they handled the matter last year when a lot of people found themselves bound to UF under false pretenses.

superchode

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 03:54:34 PM »
FYI here is the latest bill, it has a few changes from the bill that was vetoed last year by Bush.  It should be decided by sometime in June to my knowledge.

http://www.flsenate.gov/session/index.cfm?Mode=Bills&SubMenu=1&BI_Mode=ViewBillInfo&BillNum=0366

loki13

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2006, 05:28:03 PM »
okay... from my reading of the bill, you have two (2!) options.

Either work FT (not an option).

Or, buy a house.

Does this seem like the correct reading?

Man, I hope this gets vetoed. This wouldn't be so obnoxious if I wasn't born in FRIGGIN' Florida and lived there until the end of 2004.

Must... control... fist... of.... doom....

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2006, 05:45:23 PM »
okay... from my reading of the bill, you have two (2!) options.

Either work FT (not an option).

Or, buy a house.

Does this seem like the correct reading?

Man, I hope this gets vetoed. This wouldn't be so obnoxious if I wasn't born in FRIGGIN' Florida and lived there until the end of 2004.

Must... control... fist... of.... doom....

I think you've read it correctly, which completely sucks if it passes.  Assuming it doesn't pass (and your ouija board is as good as mine), I still think you'll have no problem re-classifying.

I'm sorry, dude.  What a totally crappy place to be right now.  You're having to wait on a Bush veto.  Thank God it's the governor and not the president!  At least he vetoes!

loki13

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2006, 06:01:36 PM »
This is just such a massive headache.

When today began, I was 99% confident I would be attending UF, despite not having any financial information from them yet. Sure, I'd put down a deposit at another school, just in case, but still, Gainesville, here I come!

Now I feel like I've been sucker-punched. What other messed-up state does this happen in? Ever wonder why Fark.com has its own Florida category? THIS IS WHY! You apply to any other state school, and they'll straight up tell you what you need to do to qualify for residency, or, in a few cases, just tell you that it's not going to happen.

But at Florida... allow me to quote:

"Your tuition bill will reflect the rate
you are charged. If it is non-resident at the first year, it very well
could continue to be non-resident for the next three years. It may not, but
it might. "

Umm.... yeah. Great. This helps me make a budget and take out loans HOW? They could tell me it's not going to happen- I'd be happy with that. They could tell me I'd have to go on a quest and bring 'em the Eye of Thiggor os something- sure, can do. They could tell me I become a resident after I've been trapped behind a senior citizen driving 15mph with their blinker on for 15 miles... not a problem! This uncertainty I CANT DEAL WITH.

*sigh* The sad thing is, I really, really want to go to UF. And the reason I want to go is so that I can practice in Florida. Go fig.

superchode

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2006, 06:17:39 PM »
I know how you feel, I am very frusturated as an out of state student and I can only imagine how you would feel being from Florida.  The bill has to pass first of all and then Bush has to sign it into law before anything happens here.  Last year when people were worried about it like BigRig said FSU said they would grant tuition waivers to those students that attended on the assumption of gaining residency in their second and third years.  Perhaps Florida will do the same, I believe and am hoping that it will be a mute issue as it is very likely Bush will simply veto the bill when it is passed, (which I assume it will because I believe it only had one dissenting vote last time).  Assuming I don't get into ASU I am 100% attending FSU, we all just have to hope it works out.  If you have a viable second option that you would attend if you didn't get instate tuition I would put the deposit down because you should know by the end of June.

http://www.myflorida.com/myflorida/government/laws/2005legislation/pdfs/SB_2236_veto.pdf

Here is an excert of what Bush said on why he veoted the last bill:

"Bush said he vetoed the measure tightening up residency requirements because it would have penalized students whose parents are retirees or work part time, while parents who work full time could have their children qualify for a lower tuition rate.

Both higher education bills gave leeway to universities to raise their tuition rates for graduate and professional programs. Bush said the methodology laid out in the measure could lead to confusion and create disparate tuition rates across the state.

The governor's decision to veto the bills came just one day after he signed into law a measure that spells out that the Florida Legislature will retain power over tuition and fees, and not the Board of Governors, which was created by the voters in 2002 to oversee the state university system."

If they address the issues that he had with the old bill this year perhaps he will pass it, that is where my concern elevates.  As you can see I have become somewhat obsessed with this issue as well and I guess at this point all we can do is hope it turns out fine like it did last year.  If not then I guess a few more loans will not kill me.