Law School Discussion

Harvard to ban internet?

Buzz619

• I am probably the youngest one in the Revolution
    • View Profile
Re: Harvard to ban internet?
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2006, 08:08:49 AM »
I actually talked to one of the faculty about the issue, and his arguement for the ban was that peoples incessant web browsing email checking etc. was beocming distracting to other individuals. Whether I believe him is another story. He had banned laptop use in his classes. It seems to me that those who aregoing o not pay attention are going to not pay attention no matter what, whether it is in the form of day dreaming or just not even bothering to show up to class. Therefore, by banning laptops all together you are hindering those who actually use them for classwork, while having minimal effect on the others. I can support an internet ban, but to me, a laptop ban is riduiculous.

practiceboy02

• Still misbehaving in law school
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2006, 08:29:35 AM »
I mean, I really don't see how my checking email or chatting on AIM would really distract other students so much

David

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2006, 09:32:57 AM »
I actually talked to one of the faculty about the issue, and his arguement for the ban was that peoples incessant web browsing email checking etc. was beocming distracting to other individuals. Whether I believe him is another story. He had banned laptop use in his classes. It seems to me that those who aregoing o not pay attention are going to not pay attention no matter what, whether it is in the form of day dreaming or just not even bothering to show up to class. Therefore, by banning laptops all together you are hindering those who actually use them for classwork, while having minimal effect on the others. I can support an internet ban, but to me, a laptop ban is riduiculous.

I agree. Too paternalistic.

2Lacoste

• Johan Santana for President
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2006, 10:48:02 AM »
Too bad we the class of 2009 can't do too much to express our dismay at the proposal save for getting on LSD and XOXO and bitching.  Unless we mass email Dean Kagan....

lacoste

David

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2006, 02:27:08 PM »
Too bad we the class of 2009 can't do too much to express our dismay at the proposal save for getting on LSD and XOXO and bitching.  Unless we mass email Dean Kagan....

lacoste

I just thought about contacting them to voice my opinion. It seemed a bit presumptuous, but Kagan is all about being receptive to student opinion, etc. so it doesn't seem so out of line on second thought. That said, I'll probably wait until my deposit is sent in.  ;D

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2006, 06:44:52 PM »

lacoste

You guys probably have the most power...withhold your seat deposits!  Threaten to bring down the yield!  The last thing Kagan wants is to fall to #4.

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2006, 07:49:55 PM »

lacoste

You guys probably have the most power...withhold your seat deposits!  Threaten to bring down the yield!  The last thing Kagan wants is to fall to #4.

More like "the last thing Kagan wants is to stay at #3."