Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Suffolk($$$$) Vs Northeastern ($$)

Suffolk Law
Northeastern Law

Author Topic: Now is my turn...please help me decide where to go  (Read 1781 times)

Jontor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Now is my turn...please help me decide where to go
« on: April 10, 2006, 07:25:52 AM »
Guys, I plan on sending in my seat deposits this week so I'm seeking advice from all of you, Should I go to Suffolk with 25k/per year(3.0 gpa minimum) or Northeastern with 8.5k/per year. I have visited both schools, really liked both but I think I will do really well at Northeastern, the system they have their seem like a good fit for me but the money from Suffolk is hard to ignnore. please share your opinions on both schools if you have any. Thanks in advance

Jontor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Now is my turn...please help me decide where to go
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 07:48:59 AM »
19 views and not a single vote....common guys

George JeffersonČ

• Sr. Citizen
  • Suck on my salty chocolate balls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 09:48:13 AM »
Guys, I plan on sending in my seat deposits this week so I'm seeking advice from all of you, Should I go to Suffolk with 25k/per year(3.0 gpa minimum) or Northeastern with 8.5k/per year. I have visited both schools, really liked both but I think I will do really well at Northeastern, the system the have their seem like a good fit for me but the money from Suffolk is hard to ignnore. please share your opinions on both schools if you have any. Thanks in advance

Cost after scholarship?

Both are well-respected regional schools. The names will not carry you far but your performance can. Money aside, if you have a strong feeling that you will perfom better at Northeastern, I think you should go there. Have you discussed the Suffolk offer with the people at Northeastern?
Put 'em in yo mouth!

PetetheDrummer

• AOL Instant Messenger - PetetheDrummer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 09:52:10 AM »
I'd vote but I really know nothing about either school. Good luck!

Barney

• Sr. Citizen
  • 1L who should have better things to do
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 09:52:22 AM »
Suffolk has an odd level of clout in Boston, I'm told. If that's where you want to practice, and it seems like it must be, I'd say take the money.

Neither school has salary statistics to justify significant debt.

cyberrev

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 10:02:58 AM »
is there a curve at suffolk that you'd have to stress over?  is the northeastern offer irrespective of gpa?

Lurking Third Year

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2006, 10:35:37 AM »
Suffolk has an odd level of clout in Boston, I'm told. If that's where you want to practice, and it seems like it must be, I'd say take the money.

Neither school has salary statistics to justify significant debt.

I would generally agree w/this, though I admit I don't know a lot about either school.  I do know that Northeastern takes an unorthodox approach, and in particular, doesn't give grades and focuses on internships.  I think this is good and bad, and the one Northeastern student I met seemed to think that a lack of grades hurts Northeastern students more than it helps them.  In addition, the same student told me that Northeastern does much better in public interest than in the private sector, for whatever that's worth.

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
  • you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2006, 12:57:36 PM »
I think you should sit out a year and reapply.  You should have gotten into both BU and BC

Jontor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2006, 01:51:44 PM »
Cost after scholarship?

Both are well-respected regional schools. The names will not carry you far but your performance can. Money aside, if you have a strong feeling that you will perfom better at Northeastern, I think you should go there. Have you discussed the Suffolk offer with the people at Northeastern?

Suffolk cost after scholarship: $9000
Northeastern's cost after Scholarship: $25,500

I could stay in Boston for a couple of years but preferably NY or DC. Didn't apply to any of the schools in those cities when I was applying cos I believed I will be in Boston

is there a curve at suffolk that you'd have to stress over?  is the northeastern offer irrespective of gpa?
Suffolk's curve is not very pretty B- , Northeastern offer is good for 3 years irrespective of GPA

cyberrev

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2006, 02:26:07 PM »
ok, so what is suffolk's cost if you lost the scholarship?  more than northeasterns?