Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Letter of Intent to Enroll  (Read 2439 times)

plato2006

• View Profile
Letter of Intent to Enroll
« on: April 10, 2006, 01:24:11 AM »
I'm a little unclear on this, and perhaps people with broader experience than I can help me out.

Here's the dilemma: One school has accepted me and given a deadline for a signed letter of intent to enroll, in addition to a non-refundable deposit.  If I submit both items, does that mean that I cannot withdraw my acceptance at a later date, and accept admission at a different law school for this admission cycle?  Are there any umbrella policies which govern the law school admission process which can come back to haunt me later?  Perhaps it becomes a binding contract since there's an offer (acceptance letter), acceptance (signed letter of intent), and consideration (non-refundable deposit)?  Here is how the letter of intent reads:

I hereby accept admission to the day division at [fill in blank] law school and agree to abide by its rules and regulations.

Print Name
Signature
Social Security Number
LSAC Account
Date
it's all in the reflexes

TNlawguy

• View Profile
Re: Letter of Intent to Enroll
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 01:45:28 AM »
Hmmm. My first inclination is to say that this seems pretty iron-clad. But, I could be wrong...perhaps, you could call the admissions office (but don't identify yourself) and ask. Here's the question though: Would you mind going to that school if this we're an iron-clad agreement. Or, is this just a safe bet until you hear from some place you really want to go? For instance, if this we're say Stanford (and that was one of your top choices), then go ahead and submit it. But, if its not even a serious consideration, then why lock yourself in if you're (1) absolutely, positively sure that they'll better/other options or (2) if this isn't the best fit for you.

Just my 2cents. I hope this helps.

aphrael

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 08:41:42 PM »
What do the rules and regulations of the school say about withdrawing? ISTM that would be an important indicator of what, precisely, you are agreeing to if you sign it.

In general, though, I think you shouldn't sign such a thing unless you thoroughly intend to do what you are saying you will do. I don't know how the admissions office of your school would handle it if you contacted them and candidly explaiend that, say, the school is your second choice and you are waiting to hear from your first; they might offer you an extension on the deadline, they might not. But it would certainly be a more honest approach than signing something you aren't sure you're actually committed to.

dbk10

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 10:53:57 AM »
Is the letter written for you and you just need to sign it?  If not, I would write in my letter, it is my intention at this time to enroll in the full-time program at X law school in the fall of 2006.  Please find enclosed my first deposit, etc...

Else, I would look to see if the school has 2 deposit deadlines.  I would guess that most schools have a second deposit date b/c they expect people to withdraw in-between the first and second deposits.  I don't see any reason why you can't just call to inquire.  If they ask, tell them you intend to enroll, but would like clarification on what "agreeing to abide by its rules and regulations" means before you sign anything.  It's a perfectly legitimate question.

The only reason I can find that it would be 100% binding would be if you applied early decision.

wildcataz2004

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2006, 10:11:29 PM »
There is no way a school can force you to attend the school, even if you do sign such a letter. It is OK to send in a deposit and still be on the waitlist at another school. Schools know that sometimes people are in situations like this. Now, if you're just waiting to hear from another school, (not on the waitlist)- I would call the school and maybe try to get a 2 or 3 week extension on having to send in the letter of intent and deposit

KillMeNow

• My dream girl...so hot, let's keep the lights on
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2006, 05:10:03 PM »
I would call and ask someone in admissions.  Notre Dame sent a similar letter to accepted applicants by mistake, the letter was supposed to be sent only to those that applied ED.
"Did y'all hear that?  We're usin' code names."