Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LLM after a JD?  (Read 2563 times)

Lurking Third Year

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: LLM after a JD?
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2006, 11:25:46 PM »
Do you get a raise if you have LLM?

Well, at big firms, your salary is based on your class year.  For example, in most big firms outside of NYC, 1st years now make 135,000, 2nd years 145,000, etc.  If you got an LLM, the most that a firm would do is give you credit for the years you spent obtaining it.  For example, you might be able to start as a second or third year instead of a first year.  However, I don't think most firms even do that.  I'm not even sure about my firm's policy b/c I'm not planning on getting an LLM.  Most firms will, however, pay for the LLM if you want to go part time. 

azstudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2006, 11:33:38 PM »
The only LLM worth getting is NYU tax

csis

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2006, 03:10:19 AM »
What exactly is the difference between the LLM and the JSD? How long does it take to obtain one (of either). Teaching is something that I'm considering and it certainly would help those of us who are not going to a Top 20 school.

The post about salaries in the first year vs. second year at firms left me confused. What did you mean by that (surely you're not referring to 1Ls and 2Ls?

Lurking Third Year

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2006, 10:03:30 AM »
What exactly is the difference between the LLM and the JSD? How long does it take to obtain one (of either). Teaching is something that I'm considering and it certainly would help those of us who are not going to a Top 20 school.

The post about salaries in the first year vs. second year at firms left me confused. What did you mean by that (surely you're not referring to 1Ls and 2Ls?

Sorry, I should have been more specific.  At large firms, you're put in an associate class when you enter, and salaries and bonuses will generally vary by class.  For example, everyone starts as a first year associate, then moves on to second year, etc.  This is what I was referring to above.  Salary generally corresponds to your class year and not merit.  So, as long as you're not fired -- which is very rare at large firms -- you'll get a raise every year.  Bonsuses do, however, take performance into account.

To add to the poster above, I think the only LLM worth getting (for a practioner at least) is an LLM in tax, particuarly at NYU, though I'd add Georgetown to the list. 

As far as teaching goes, I think an LLM is only valuable in that it gives you a year or two to focus on publishing.  While pursuing an LLM, you will generally have a fair amount of time to publish, and hopefully access to helpful professors to review your work and help you develop a publishing agenda.

irishguy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2006, 12:04:20 PM »
Hey csis,

I've got my LLM and am in the middle of my JSD at CCN. The LLM's a one year degree. Outside of tax, it can be useful if you practice for a few years and then decide to make the jump to academia, but only where your JD isn't top 3/6, maybe 14. HLS has an excellent LLM for US wannabe academics; so does Yale. Stanford is excellent, of course, particularly if you're interested in high-tech stuff. Chicago's great if you want law & econ, antitrust, regulation etc. Col & NYU have fine programs too.

The JSD probably isn't particularly appropriate for US JD graduates. The JSD typically takes 3-4 years to get AFTER completing the LLM degree. Of course, having a JSD (Ph.D in law) is helpful in seeking academic positions, but only because it tells law schools you have the ability, aptitude and work ethic to engage in sophisticated legal research. The truth is that, as a JD graduate, you'd be far better off concentrating on putting together a record of publication, which, at the end of the day, is what law schools care about in making their hiring decisions.

I plan to go into private practice for 3-5 years, after which time I'll probably look at the academic market. I'm not a huge fan of academic writing, but I know I'd love teaching infinitely more than I would billing 60 hours a week on a regular basis in a big firm.

Let me know if you have any further qs about LLM/JSD programs.

zacharyl20

• Sr. Citizen
  • My dream SUV.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2006, 04:45:49 PM »
Are there any stats on salary ranges for tenure-track professors?

Good question. I am interested in this aswell.