Law School Discussion

Review of CLS v. NYU admit weekends

Pythagoras

• ĦEn Mexique!
    • View Profile
Re: Review of CLS v. NYU admit weekends
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2006, 07:48:24 PM »
Columbia or NYU, NYU or Columbia?  I'm starting to loathe them equally at this point.  NYU won't say yes/no to an extension and Columbia won't give me my financial aid package and I'm trying to reign in my urge to phone-stalk them to death.  I mean, do they understand what they're doing to my nerves?!  All this suspense is killing me!

(Sorry...had to rant...too much tension.)

:D :D :D

I hear you.  Only in my case it's Georgetown and NYU >:(

Hey, I won't crack if you don't crack.  ;)

SouthSide

• Full speed ahead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2006, 12:30:03 AM »
I agree that these schools trash each other too much. I got a lot more of that from NYU than Columbia, but I've seen it just about everywhere.

I think the job qualifications for both schools' LRAPs are virtually identical. You could argue that NYU's is more squirrelly, with the qualification that the job must "engage with the law, in the opinion of NYU." The fact is, I don't think either LRAP will be turning down legitimate candidates.

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2006, 11:19:15 AM »
Lily, I don't know what organization your godmother works for or what kind of problems they've had with Columbia's LRAP or Columbia students, but I work for a small women's law & policy nonprofit (less than 100 people, mostly lawyers) and two of my coworkers are recent Columbia Law grads (1-3 yrs ago).  Both of them are really happy with Columbia's LRAP and didn't have any problems getting it to cover their jobs. 
I don't know of any NYU law grads currently at my organization so I can't compare, but I find it hard to believe that there's much difference between the types of jobs NYU's LRAP covers and the jobs Columbia's LRAP covers. 
Sure, NYU has a higher percentage of students who do public interest than Columbia does, but my impression from talking to these Columbia alums is that if you want to do public interest at a nonprofit, Columbia's LRAP will support you.

« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2006, 02:50:11 PM »
I visited both schools this past week and am still torn about where to attend.  I found the students at NYU to be much more laid back and personable.  Although the CLS students were very nice, they seemed more type-A and competitive.  CLS really sold its history though.  They gave out the bios of every speaker and hammered in its years of excellence.  I found myself thinking I could go to NYU where it would be a better overall experience or I could go to CLS where the name would have more prestige and there would be stronger alumni contacts.

What did you think?

Also, I was a bit disheartened when I learned of the massive debt I would be handling coming out of CLS (NYU gave me some money).  Everytime I asked a CLS student how they planned to handle it, they said that the massive salaries at Big Law Firms would take care of it.  But what about those of us who don't care to take the corporate route??  Everytime I asked NYU students about the debt, they said that either I could join a big firm and reap the rewards of the salary or the LRAP would help if I chose public service.  Isn't it weird that no CLS students even mentioned public service?

dude choose the one that gives you the least amount of debt. they are as close to the same as any two law schools out there

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2006, 03:00:33 PM »
Columbia or NYU, NYU or Columbia?  I'm starting to loathe them equally at this point.  NYU won't say yes/no to an extension and Columbia won't give me my financial aid package and I'm trying to reign in my urge to phone-stalk them to death.  I mean, do they understand what they're doing to my nerves?!  All this suspense is killing me!

(Sorry...had to rant...too much tension.)

:D :D :D

I hear you.  Only in my case it's Georgetown and NYU >:(

I thought you decided on Michigan?

Almost.  Not entirely.  I still have my heart set on curriculum B at Georgetown, and all the interesting people at NYU.

Sadly, it looks like neither school wants me back.  Hence Michigan. :'(

Ahh, I thought you DIDN'T like the people at NYU.  Yeah, I suck at making decisions too.

I felt like I could get along with the women, but that I have nothing in common with them.  I got a real Sex in the City vibe from them.

The guys, on the other hand, were really cool.  They were clones of me, except taller and with more indie-rock band shirts. 

Although, I have to wonder, am I the only one on this forum who has no desire to ever do PI work?

Huh.  I never thought about it before, but I think you may be right. :-\

Yeah, as I said in another thread, I am going back this weekend to visit both CLS and NYU, but from what I remember of the AS days, the people did seem more intellectual at Columbia, and I did notice that some of the girls at NYU seemed like sorority girls.  On the whole though, I didn't notice that significant of a difference between the student bodies at the two. 

As for PI work, I just don't see the appeal in going to school for 7 years to help the world.  I'd rather make money and donate to PI organizations that will save the world. 

I didn't get an "intellectual" vibe at Columbia: I got a Penn vibe. It's why I withdrew. :-\ 

What's a Penn vibe?  I don't know all that many Penn students, although I went on a wine tour last year with a few who were friends with a friend of mine here.  One of the girls was a little bitchy, in that she groaned when I said I was going to law school, as she is planning to go to medical school.  Later on, she called me a lightweight after I got visibly drunk after drinking like 11 glasses of wine (I know, not good judgment). 

What are the others like?

You know, the kind of vibe you can only get at a fine IVY league institution such as Penn. The IVY league, home to the nation's finest students at universities such as Penn and Harvard sometimes gives off a vibe of confidence in their IVY status that some mistake for a certain insecurtiy. However, Penn being an IVY, none of its students need to feel the least bit insecure. After all, there is nothing wrong with being proud of Penn's IVY status and its cohabitation in the IVY league with its archrival and peer school harvard.

« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2006, 07:00:00 PM »
second.  you think he toned down his rhetoric after he read the backlash on lsd?  ;)

Am I really that transparent?  ;)

This is precisely what I was thinking.

If nothing else, it suggests that they're very responsive to student concerns.

Quote from: SuicideNixon
You know, the kind of vibe you can only get at a fine IVY league institution such as Penn. The IVY league, home to the nation's finest students at universities such as Penn and Harvard sometimes gives off a vibe of confidence in their IVY status that some mistake for a certain insecurtiy. However, Penn being an IVY, none of its students need to feel the least bit insecure. After all, there is nothing wrong with being proud of Penn's IVY status and its cohabitation in the IVY league with its archrival and peer school harvard

1) There's a difference between confidence, arrogance, and bitchiness.
2) I doubt what applies to Penn UG applies to Penn Law students.
3) And for the record, our archrival is Princeton. 

laugh, well the penn newspaper mentions that Penn is an ivy in almost every article...twice.

ishiki

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2006, 09:58:23 PM »
TITCR.

FWIW, I actually think of them as two branches of the same school.  The difference is you go to one if you're a liberal hipster, and you go to the other if you're moderate and like trees.

Yeah I remember before I got in, I visited both of them and fell in love equally.  Columbia is slightly stronger in my area of interest, but honestly I loved NYU as well.  NYC = mmmm.

SouthSide

• Full speed ahead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2006, 12:32:27 AM »
I agree that these schools trash each other too much. I got a lot more of that from NYU than Columbia, but I've seen it just about everywhere.

I agree, but actually almost nobody I spoke to at Columbia ASW even mentioned NYU.  For almost everyone I spoke to, the decision was either Columbia vs. Chicago, Columbia($$) vs. Harvard/Yale, or Columbia vs. MVP($$).

For what it's worth, both schools rock ;D

I do agree that both schools are great, but I also agree that more Columbia students are considering these choices you mentioned. It seemed to me that more people choosing Columbia/NYU with equal money choose Columbia than vice versa.

Lost in Translation

• Choosing the right law school: priceless!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2006, 02:37:31 PM »
I am glad that so many of you enjoyed the Columbia admit student day. I am 1L here, and so far, I have had a fantastic time. Columbia Law is a very vibrant law school. It is not in the heart of New York, but there are so many traditions and history here that you feel as if you are part of something bigger:) Just go to the second floor of Butler or the East Asian library and you will know what I am talking about. Also, the social life in Morningside H. is not bad at all. 1 Block apart, you can discover a Moroccan nightclub/restaurant; a typical college bar, Ethipian restaurant, Italian place, and even a Turskish one. So, please do not say that there is nothing to do around Columbia if you have never been around here. Admittedly, the atmosphere is more intellectual than the one around NYU, but is that a bad thing? Also, exploring the rest of the city is just a subway ride away.

One of the things that gets overlooked about Columbia Law is that it closely works with the SIPA (international relations) and other other grad schools. Columbia actually walks the talk about inter-disciplinary study. Besides, the opportunity to talk to and party with students from other grad programs means better parties, better choices for prospective dates, and better conversations:)

NYU is a good school, and probably on the same level as Columbia, so if they give you better fin aid, I would not overlook them. Without a question, however, Columbia has superior reputation in most fields, esp. corporate and international law. Columbia Law is esp. big in Europe and Asia if that kind of thing interests you. It is not by chance that the kids of a lot of the European and Asian business/political leaders are in our JD and LLM classes. The last thing I want to emphasize, the most important thing about a law school is its student body. I cannot comment on NUY, but I can tell you that a lot of the students in our 1L class are absolutely amazing people; many of them have had quite successful lives before school, so it is a real inspiration to be around them.

As far as public interest is concerned, NYU currently seems to have stronger programs, but the Schizer Master is really putting a lot of efforts to change that. The other notable thing is his long-term plan to cut the student-professor ratio significantly. Having really big classes is not really conducive to learning; during 1L at Columbia, you will have two small classes. 1 in the fall with around 25 people and 1 elective in the spring where usually the ratio is good.

At the end, I must admit that I wondered a lot about whether to choose Columbia (mostly b/se their administration staff looked really unfriendly at first), but now I can tell you I made the right choice. Let me know if you have any questions.

Lost in Translation

• Choosing the right law school: priceless!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2006, 03:46:26 PM »
No problem,

Unfortunately, a lot of the good classes tomorrow are cancelled b/se of Passover.