Law School Discussion

Review of CLS v. NYU admit weekends

Review of CLS v. NYU admit weekends
« on: April 09, 2006, 10:42:56 AM »
I visited both schools this past week and am still torn about where to attend.  I found the students at NYU to be much more laid back and personable.  Although the CLS students were very nice, they seemed more type-A and competitive.  CLS really sold its history though.  They gave out the bios of every speaker and hammered in its years of excellence.  I found myself thinking I could go to NYU where it would be a better overall experience or I could go to CLS where the name would have more prestige and there would be stronger alumni contacts.

What did you think?

Also, I was a bit disheartened when I learned of the massive debt I would be handling coming out of CLS (NYU gave me some money).  Everytime I asked a CLS student how they planned to handle it, they said that the massive salaries at Big Law Firms would take care of it.  But what about those of us who don't care to take the corporate route??  Everytime I asked NYU students about the debt, they said that either I could join a big firm and reap the rewards of the salary or the LRAP would help if I chose public service.  Isn't it weird that no CLS students even mentioned public service?

Re: Review of CLS v. NYU admit weekends
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006, 11:31:52 AM »
I visited both schools this past week and am still torn about where to attend.  I found the students at NYU to be much more laid back and personable.  Although the CLS students were very nice, they seemed more type-A and competitive.  CLS really sold its history though.  They gave out the bios of every speaker and hammered in its years of excellence.  I found myself thinking I could go to NYU where it would be a better overall experience or I could go to CLS where the name would have more prestige and there would be stronger alumni contacts.

What did you think?

Also, I was a bit disheartened when I learned of the massive debt I would be handling coming out of CLS (NYU gave me some money).  Everytime I asked a CLS student how they planned to handle it, they said that the massive salaries at Big Law Firms would take care of it.  But what about those of us who don't care to take the corporate route??  Everytime I asked NYU students about the debt, they said that either I could join a big firm and reap the rewards of the salary or the LRAP would help if I chose public service.  Isn't it weird that no CLS students even mentioned public service?

Go to NYU like I'm doing.

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2006, 07:45:33 PM »
Could someone tell me some more about the NYU admit day?  I toured NYU's buildings and such, but I didn't feel like I met a lot of students.  Did they seem pretty happy?  Did the professors/students laugh easily?  Did people seem cooperative, reasonably honest,and such?    I guess I looking for someone to describe the 'vibe' there.  Thanks!

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2006, 09:30:45 PM »
Could someone tell me some more about the NYU admit day?  I toured NYU's buildings and such, but I didn't feel like I met a lot of students.  Did they seem pretty happy?  Did the professors/students laugh easily?  Did people seem cooperative, reasonably honest,and such?    I guess I looking for someone to describe the 'vibe' there.  Thanks!

I talked to a lot of students, and they seemed to emphasize they were happy....I sat in on a crimlaw dui class and there was a ton of laughter.  The vibe stems from the village, easily the best place to be when you are in your 20's

ima3d

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 09:14:34 AM »
I was increadibly impressed by NYU's weekend, so much so, I am going to attend.

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 10:05:34 AM »
anyone take a tour of nyu?

Steve.jd

• I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2006, 10:12:31 AM »
anyone take a tour of nyu?

I took a tour on the first ASW

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2006, 04:58:12 PM »
Haven't been here in awhile, but wow, things have changed.

Anyways, I saw this and was a little upset at what I was reading, so I thought I would chime in.  On the public interest topic: generally, while I do agree you should be looking at the various clinics and funding options that each school offers in their public interest programs, I do advise that you focus more on the "big picture."  And by that I mean (perhaps unfortunately) the reputation of the school.  For example, I can tell you it would be naive for you to go to NYU instead of Harvard just so you could do public interest, not only because the Harvard reputation will carry you further in terms of the name-brand, but also because (let's face it) you could change your career path altogether during your years in law school.  I personally had public interest in mind when I started, but quickly changed my mind after I found corporate more interesting.  Times change, people change, career paths change.  Don't lock yourself into a particular school because it has a great program in X.  Rather, go to a school because it has a reputation that'll help you get places, regardless of the field you end up being in.

As for the CLS/NYU rivalry, I never thought twice about going to CLS over NYU.  I certainly agree that NYU has a great reputation in legal circles, but Columbia has a great reputation in every discipline imaginable.. and in terms of networking and the whole academia atmosphere, it really is a world of a difference.

Lastly, about NYU's great location.  I agree that its prime location is very attractive.  But honestly, you will be so buried in your books, it won't matter where you live :)  Most importantly, do you really want to spend the next 3 years explaining to all your non-law school friends that NYU is really a top-rated law school? :P

Hope this helps (or.. at least makes some sense).  Some of you will probably disagree with me, but hey, at least I can add some diversity to this anti-CLS thread.  Good luck!

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2006, 07:58:07 PM »
I was at both weekends and then Harvard. Pretty sure I'll be at HLS so I guess I'm disinterested.

Columbia:

PRO: The profs and admits seemed more intelligent and engaged there. My mock class was quite good, and Con Law with Dorff seemed good too. Facilities were fine. The students seemed genuinely happy, but they clearly work hard and there is a bit of a corporate-factory vibe. Housing seemed surprisingly good, although my sample was small.

CON: Biggest con was the neighborhood, which manages to feel like a ghost town while still packed with traffic and no open space. 40 minutes from downtown means I'm not going out much. Also, everyone at the events bashed Harvard constantly; I wasn't the only one to notice this. The hostility included profs and made people seem insecure IMO.

NYU:

PRO: The students really do seem happy there. I think the stereotypes about huge gay and liberal communities are true, which could be a good or bad thing for different people. The facilities are fine, comparable to Columbia's but not quite as new-looking. Big focus on PI for those so inclined. And, of course, the area is astoundingly vibrant. Endless amount of things to do and see, with surpsingly cheap eats and bars around. I assume parties are awesome, and more than one person told me that the chicks are great, for those so inclined. (Obviously this means NYC partiers and not NYU law students).

CON: The lawyering class I sat in on was confusing and certainly not inspiring. More troubling, the admits were not at all enthusiastic about participating. The classes were so-so. A couple of the speakers said some weird things. For example, an obviously worried girl asked one of the big-firm speakers about working hours, and he replied, "At my firm, 10 to 4" and sort of smirked; that was his entire response. It seemed somewhat callous to me. Plus this guy was a Penn alum. The fact that they couldn't even round up two NYU grads for the panel was odd. Both admits and students, although possibly more social than the Columbia crowd, seemed less passionate about the law. Rooms are tiny and expensive.

By now it's obvious that I was more impressed with Columbia. I hope no one is offended by any of this. I'm not a troll, and I went in with an open mind. This is just me calling it like I saw it.

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2006, 12:21:04 AM »
If it's a mock class, I'm not surprised.  At all the ASWs I've attended, that's been the norm.  (Then again, all isn't that much: I generally go to schools and watch the students when they think no one's there.)

Well, it was a mock class of sorts, but it was not advertised as such and it was quite small. I thought the profs were just going to lecture about the lawyering program, but instead we debated a case for an hour. I don't think NYU had "real" mock classes. And for what it's worth, I enjoyed the mocks at Columbia and Harvard a lot.

As for the Penn guy, I think the idea was to show that recruiters from other schools value NYU grads, because he talked a lot about his hiring practices. He joked around a lot and I guess my example was just a failed attempt. I still found it off-putting.