Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 149 Diagnostic Exam--Will I ever get into law school?  (Read 6105 times)

dylan4201

• View Profile
149 Diagnostic Exam--Will I ever get into law school?
« on: August 05, 2004, 10:56:22 AM »
So I took my first diagnostic exam two days ago with Kaplan and got a whopping 149. I must admit I had not prepared too extesnsively. I took one complete practice exam, where I didn't really monitor the clock and I scored a 160 which I was happy with. Other than that, I've just done a few sections with out paying too much attention to what I got wrong, why etc.
Now I get this slap in the face...149....Obviosuly a terrible score, and a huge wakeup call. I am not trying or even imagining going to a great school, but with this I doubt it will get me in anywhere. I want to get it up to a 160-163, and am enrolled in the Kaplan class and registered for the October exam, and am wondering if this is possible.
Any advice, reccomendations on the most effective way to improve this score in the two months that I have before October would be appreciated. Or is it in my best interest to focus on the Decemeber exam? I was planning on October and getting my apps in early, but unless I can improve this score I may have to rethink this.
Please, anyone whose gone through something similar, let me know...I'm stressing myself out!

thebengalgent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 149 Diagnostic Exam--Will I ever get into law school?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2004, 11:12:14 AM »
Before the naysayers start getting in their 2 cents, you should know that it is ABSOLUTELY possible for you to reach 160+.

1)  Take two full-length, recently administered LSATs each week under timed conditions from now until test day.
2)  Concentrate heavily on Logical Reasoning & Games.  LR is half the test, and if you can improve yourself here, you have the best chance.  Get Powerscore's LG Bible for great insight on the Games.  This will NOT screw you up with what you are doing in Kaplan.  It will only help.
3)  Live and breathe the LSAT. 
4)  Stay nervous and hungry, but positive.

I raised my score from 145 on the first diagnostic, to 156 on the 2nd, to 160-162 over the past two weeks.  This is all in the last two months.  By test day, I'm hopng for 165-167.

Good luck.

Nole

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Noles!
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - nolegirl290@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2004, 11:41:07 AM »
No problem. I got a 153 on the diagnotic. I took the class and 9 practice test over about 5 months and I got a 162. Besides, you can get in the 150's and get into a good state school. Just take lots of practice test. Preferably the most recently released ones.
Tony:"So your not gonna go to law school? What do you wanna do then?"
Mike:"I wanna dance!"

dylan4201

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2004, 11:52:33 AM »
That's all encouraging to hear. Yeah I need to certainly focus on the games and reasoning section. I only got 8 correct on the logic games section which will obviously drop my score significantly.

I was also having trouble finishing each section and had to go through and guess on probably 5 to 6 questions per section.

I am not trying to get into a top school like I said, but would like to at least improve this score to a respectable level. I'm in Boston and am going to apply to Suffolk and Northeastern but obviously 149 needs to improve significantly for that to happen.

thediesel

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2004, 11:54:54 AM »
they lie
you'll never get into any law school
but don't worry
mc'd's has some openings

inthesun

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2004, 12:17:48 PM »
I was a 151 on my Kaplan diagnostic.  I scored 165 on the test. 

All I can say is live and breathe the test.  Use the info Kaplan gives you about your weaknesses and your strong points, and run with it.  Do everything online, and in your books, whether required or not. 

You can do it!

Nole

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Noles!
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - nolegirl290@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2004, 12:24:37 PM »
That's all encouraging to hear. Yeah I need to certainly focus on the games and reasoning section. I only got 8 correct on the logic games section which will obviously drop my score significantly.

I was also having trouble finishing each section and had to go through and guess on probably 5 to 6 questions per section.

I am not trying to get into a top school like I said, but would like to at least improve this score to a respectable level. I'm in Boston and am going to apply to Suffolk and Northeastern but obviously 149 needs to improve significantly for that to happen.

I was horrible at the logic games too. Something like 53% or something. Thank god for reading comp! But by the time i took the test I felt pretty confident about the games, once I learned how to work them. I hated the timed thing too. But the more real-time practice tests I took, the more i got used to the constraints and learned to work within them. it is all about practice, practice, practice. and don't get to stressed over it.
Tony:"So your not gonna go to law school? What do you wanna do then?"
Mike:"I wanna dance!"

Trancer

• Sr. Citizen
  • Conan the Republican!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2004, 11:21:36 AM »
went from a 147 on my first diagnostic to a 156 on my second.
Its not the size of the army that counts, its the fury of the onslaught.
Seton Hall, August 05

aboynoir

• Sr. Citizen
  • English Literature / 3.Something / LSAT in June
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2004, 04:06:15 PM »
There are schools were 149 is the median 25% score. So if you scored this on your LSAT, and your GPA was decent, yes... you would get into a law school. However, this is just your diagnostic. Most people I know raise their score by at least 5, if not more, when it comes time to take the LSAT. This would put you at 154 which is good enough for many Tier-2 schools.

No worries :) Keep studying.

Ivy_Hopeful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT 141
    • MSN Messenger - dduncan81@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Dduncan81
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Derryp999
    • View Profile
    • A website that I built and maintain.
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2004, 04:41:49 AM »
I know I didn't try too hard (it was 2 and a half years before I needed to take it seriously) but I went from a 124 on my first to a 147 on my second others TBA
Winners: Cooley w/$, UDM
Losers: MSU, DePaul, NYLS, UI, Georegtown, WSU, PSU, Kent, Cleavland State, ASU
In Limbo + Purgatory: N/A

Law School Numbers.com

LSD Debut UGPA 3.651 Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT October 1st, 2005: 141