Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 149 Diagnostic Exam--Will I ever get into law school?  (Read 1977 times)

dylan4201

• View Profile
149 Diagnostic Exam--Will I ever get into law school?
« on: August 05, 2004, 10:53:16 AM »
So I took my first diagnostic exam two days ago with Kaplan and got a whopping 149. I must admit I had not prepared too extesnsively. I took one complete practice exam, where I didn't really monitor the clock and I scored a 160 which I was happy with. Other than that, I've just done a few sections with out paying too much attention to what I got wrong, why etc.
Now I get this slap in the face...149....Obviosuly a terrible score, and a huge wakeup call. I am not trying or even imagining going to a great school, but with this I doubt it will get me in anywhere. I want to get it up to a 160-163, and am enrolled in the Kaplan class and registered for the October exam, and am wondering if this is possible.
Any advice, reccomendations on the most effective way to improve this score in the two months that I have before October would be appreciated. Or is it in my best interest to focus on the Decemeber exam? I was planning on October and getting my apps in early, but unless I can improve this score I may have to rethink this.
Please, anyone whose gone through something similar, let me know...I'm stressing myself out!

desmo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 149 Diagnostic Exam--Will I ever get into law school?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2004, 01:27:34 PM »
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I think you're SOL for October.  Look at the numbers of what you want.  An increase of 149-163 takes you from around the 40% range to almost the 90% range.  You would have to get roughly another 20 questions right which is almost a 50% increase.  OK, maybe the 149 was a fluke - try taking a couple previous exams under timed conditions.  If you still hit around 150 then you should back off the October test and prep for December.  But, IMHO, unless you have a phenom UGPA, you'll have to hit pretty high on the LSAT to still have a chance to get in that late in the application cycle.  Of course there's always some 4th tier willing to take your money, but do you realy want to do that?

The Name's Dali

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2004, 01:37:44 PM »
dude...it is definitely possible.  you are just going to have to eat, sleep, and become consumed by the LSAT until October.  a lot of people score in the 150 range initially, that's why it is the 50th percentile (average).

desmo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2004, 03:00:31 PM »
Dude, a lot of people score in the 150 range initially and again and again.  That's why it's the average.  If it was that easy to bring it up, then 165 would be average and not 90th percentile.  I still think it'll be almost impossible to score another 20 questions consistently in 8 weeks.  If he hits low in October and smokes it in December he's screwed if the school averages the scores.  The other route is to get WE for a year or so and take the LSAT next year and shoot for admission in '06. 

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
  • small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2004, 03:12:28 PM »
Dude, a lot of people score in the 150 range initially and again and again.  That's why it's the average.  If it was that easy to bring it up, then 165 would be average and not 90th percentile.  I still think it'll be almost impossible to score another 20 questions consistently in 8 weeks.  If he hits low in October and smokes it in December he's screwed if the school averages the scores.  The other route is to get WE for a year or so and take the LSAT next year and shoot for admission in '06. 

completely agree, unless youre korean.

i got a 153 on my first blind test.  ended up getting high 170s on my actual test.  though i did this in 3 months, i think its doable in 2. 

unless youre trying to apply this year, id put it off until dec or feb. 

edit:  im saying put it off if you want to get a higher score or dont think you can do it.  it might give you more time to study and raise your score more.  but i think its doable in 2 months if you really put your mind to it.
'why does it hurt so much when i poke it?'

shadowcreeper

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSD Cheerleader
    • View Profile
    • law school hopeful
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2004, 03:26:46 PM »
There are a good deal of T3 and many schools in T4 that would take you with that score. I guess it is possible that you could go up that many points in 2 months, but I am not sure how feasible it is going to be. Also, remember...the schools will average your score.
I can't pass up this oppurtunity to make myself absurd.
I can't pass up this oppurtunity to make myself be heard.
Nobody's gonna stand in my way.
Give it up son, I'm doin this my way.. Seether

http://lawschoolhopeful.blogspot.com/

dylan4201

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2004, 03:28:21 PM »
I was planning on applying for 05 and wanted to take the October exam to get my apps in as soon as possible, but if I bust my ass for two months and I'm still not consistently hitting 160, I'm not going to take it. So is it definately a terrible thing to take it in December and have my apps in that late?

desmo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2004, 03:47:12 PM »
I'm still pessimistic.  A 160 on an untimed test does note bode well for a 163 on the actual.  Impossible, no - that's why I suggested taking a couple more timed tests, maybe the 149 was first time jitters.

Again, you'll find some T4 probably even a T3 and with a high UGPA a T2 that'll accept you.  But unless you hit 170+, you'll never get into SW Indiana State with dsong... ;)

Late post: No December (actually January by the time you get scores back) isn't a killer, but with rolling admission, it just means less open seats and more competition.  Thus you'll need a better application than you might have needed in October / November.

Question back to dylan:  What was your pacing like on the blind test -  Did you get through all the questions or was time the killer?

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
  • small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2004, 03:49:09 PM »

Again, you'll find some T4 probably even a T3 and with a high UGPA a T2 that'll accept you.  But unless you hit 170+, you'll never get into SW Indiana State with dsong... ;)

SW indiana rejected john edwards a while back.  its a damn good school...you need a 179 to get in. 
'why does it hurt so much when i poke it?'

shadowcreeper

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSD Cheerleader
    • View Profile
    • law school hopeful
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2004, 03:50:35 PM »
I do not know if anyone can answer that for you. In all honesty, applying early is really important if you are not meeting them numerically. If you wait to long, the application pool will be stronger and it will be a little harder to get admitted.

A 149 and a 160 would average down to a 154.Granted the schools would get both of your scores and you could write an addendum to explain the lower score. I think I would study hard take the test in December ot June, sit out the year and apply early as opposed to retaking in December and trying to apply at the end of the admission cycle.
I can't pass up this oppurtunity to make myself absurd.
I can't pass up this oppurtunity to make myself be heard.
Nobody's gonna stand in my way.
Give it up son, I'm doin this my way.. Seether

http://lawschoolhopeful.blogspot.com/