Law School Discussion

What if I just forget it for now and reapply?

What if I just forget it for now and reapply?
« on: April 08, 2006, 04:08:09 PM »
Alright, so this is what I'm thinking.  I'm interested in your feedback.

I'm a current senior in college coming from Yale undergrad with a 3.6/166.  I sort of choked on the LSAT, and I'm pretty sure I can do better if I study a bit harder and chill out more (I've got the chilling part covered).  This cycle, I got into GW, UMiami ($$$), and Cornell.  I didn't apply to HY, but I got rejected from UPenn, Stanford, Columbia, NYU, UChicago.  Haven't heard yet from GULS, UCLA, and USC, but I don't have super-high hopes.

I got into a really awesome Master's program at UPenn, and I'm going to go to that next year.  While I COULD defer at GW or Cornell (UM is out, I think), I am thinking that I should withdraw my applications everywhere. 

The plan right now is to take an LSAT class over the summer and study hard, take a bunch of practice tests, and then retake the LSAT this October in Philly.  I figure that even a few points higher would bump me from the bottom 25% to the middle 50%.  I'd finish up the Master's program, then reapply in the Fall of 2007 to start law school in the Fall of '08.  I think after finishing the master's, I might get a great recommendation from the director of the program, who I think is terrific and she likes me a lot. 

In the year that I'd be applying, I'd probably bounce around the country experimenting with work in different areas of the law.  The goal in reapplying is to try one more time as a stronger candidate (with an M.S. and hopefully a higher LSAT).  While I might not get into anywhere different, GW and Cornell both said they wouldn't hold it against me if I didn't go this year, and I think I've got a good shot at some merit money at GW if I improve my numbers.

What do you guys think?  Bad idea?  Suggestions?  ???

redemption

Re: What if I just forget it for now and reapply?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2006, 04:18:53 PM »
Cornell's a good school. Master's programs are seriously overrated (although the extnt to which they are depends somewhat on what kind of Master's program it is). So... specify: what's the MA in?

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2006, 04:21:45 PM »
it's an M.S. in criminology.  the program focuses on using criminological/statistical analysis to look critically at crime policy and figure out what works, what doesn't work, and why.  It's ultimate mission is to create "change agents" who have the skills to write, implement, and reform better public policy.

Cornell is definitely a good school, but I'm unsure about Ithaca.  I didn't really feel extremely passionate about either of my options, and I think I might feel better about the whole thing if I gave it one more go.  Then again, I hate to lose my shot at staying in the Ivy League, but I would hope that better stats might bump me into UPenn Law, which would be my pick over Cornell and GW.

redemption

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2006, 04:43:12 PM »
Well, I'm sure that you'll get all kinds of advice on this from others, but here's my take for what it's worth: criminology's definitely not worth delaying law school by two years. What in the world could you learn or do with a criminology masters that you couldn't learn or do in/with a JD? Nothing is my (educated) guess.

If the stronger motivation is to attend a higher ranked school, I'd understand that a liitle more, but even then it would have to be a substantially higher-ranked school to make a two-year gap worthwhile, at least for me if I were in your position - Chicago and up. What kind of LSAT score would make a shot at Chicago and up possible? 176 or 175 in order for you to average at least 171. If you think that you'll attain that, then by all means (although why you'd take it in June, I don't know).

Cornell's a good school. Location, imo, is not a great reason to decide against a school as good as Cornell is, unless you have an SO who needs to find work etc.

That's my take.  :)

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2006, 06:04:20 PM »
I say Cornell!

Steve.jd

• I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2006, 06:45:00 PM »
I agree with Red 110%,

If you really feel Cornell isn't "good" enough you can always transfer, although this is hard...

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2006, 08:15:31 PM »
I understand what you guys are saying.  I definitely DON'T think Cornell is not good enough for me, but Ithaca might not be the right city for me.  While I don't plan on getting into HYS, I think I've got a good shot at UPenn, which is not THAT much higher-ranked than Cornell but is in a much better city that is closer to both NYC and DC.  There's also the potential scholarship issue.

Are you guys all going straight from undergrad?  I'm curious whether folks are taking time off before law school elsewhere, because it seems like a lot of kids here are working for a year or two before going back to school.

redemption

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2006, 08:16:32 PM »
I understand what you guys are saying.  I definitely DON'T think Cornell is not good enough for me, but Ithaca might not be the right city for me.  While I don't plan on getting into HYS, I think I've got a good shot at UPenn, which is not THAT much higher-ranked than Cornell but is in a much better city that is closer to both NYC and DC.  There's also the potential scholarship issue.

Are you guys all going straight from undergrad?  I'm curious whether folks are taking time off before law school elsewhere, because it seems like a lot of kids here are working for a year or two before going back to school.

I've been out in the world for now 3 years.

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2006, 08:19:37 PM »

would you say those three years have been a valuable experience that have gotten you excited about law school, or were they kind of a waste of time?

redemption

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2006, 08:23:23 PM »

would you say those three years have been a valuable experience that have gotten you excited about law school, or were they kind of a waste of time?

Neither, really. My work is reasonably interesting, but my brain has definitely atrophied.