Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: GW Housing  (Read 4828 times)

LSD

• View Profile
GW Housing
« on: April 07, 2006, 05:11:18 PM »
Has any of you guys/gals been to the Statesman building during the Preview weekend at GW? or even better if anyone lived there for a while.   What do you think of the building?  I was reading few of the reviews for the Columbia Plaza and some reviewers mentioned roaches and mice in some of their buildings (you can google these reviews), but I haven't found any feedback on the Statesman.  Thanks.

maxisNE0

• View Profile
Re: George Washington Housing
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2006, 01:03:56 AM »
live in cp..  statesman is overpriced for the size of the apts and much more run down looking.. plus at cp, you have balconies!!    ive lived in foggy last 5 years, so shoot me a message if u have any other questions. 
damn waitlists..

ceb

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2006, 09:31:46 AM »
Agree with dsig05, Columbia Plaza is nice.  Plus, there is yummy sizzex downstairs.

PFKing15

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2006, 11:29:12 AM »
I had a chance to visit both and I found that CP was cheaper than the statesman and offered rooms of equal if not greater quality (with balcony's!). The statesman was a smaller complex -though it wasn't small- while CP was a the most massive assemblence of grey concrete walls outside the former soviet union. The thing is that CP has a weird waitlist, and in the words of women who gave the tour "we might not know about something opening in August until July",  but it all goes by the the waitlist I think, so if it's an option you're considering, you need to sigh up now.
In: GW, USC, Miami (24k), Villanova, Temple, American, Brooklyn, Santa Clara, Loyola,
Out: Michigan, Georgetown, UVA, Columbia, BC,  Boalt, UCLA   
Waitlisted: Fordham, Penn, W&L
No Word: Duke, Hastings

LSD

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2006, 11:36:24 AM »
Thanks Desig05, Ceb, and PFKing15 for your feedback I really appreciate it.  I've reviewed the list of apartments near by GW and the list goes like this:
1. The Dakota
2. Monroe House Condominiums
3. Potomac Park Apartments
4. Letterman House Condo
5. Statesman
6. Empire Apartments
7. York Apartments
8. Columbia Plaza
9. West End Apartments
10. The President
11. Potomac Plaza Terraces Inc.
12. The Jefferson House
13. Bon Wit Plaza
14. Potomac Plaza Apartments
15. Elise Apartments

Does anyone have any idea which one is the best/recommended (economical/good place)? and which is the really good place to live in (even if not economical)? and the cheapest place (even if not really good)?

Here is the link to the Colubmia Plaza reviews that I saw earlier: http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate/DC-Washington-Columbia-Plaza.html

I am glad to see the positive feedback about CP here.  Just a quick question for those who know the area, from the reading basic maps it seemed that the Statesman is a lot closer than CP, is it still OK to walk from the CP to GW in the winter? or is really bad? sorry I haven't been there so I don't know the location/weather etc.  Thanks.

maxisNE0

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2006, 04:09:56 PM »
Thanks Desig05, Ceb, and PFKing15 for your feedback I really appreciate it.  I've reviewed the list of apartments near by GW and the list goes like this:
1. The Dakota
2. Monroe House Condominiums
3. Potomac Park Apartments
4. Letterman House Condo
5. Statesman
6. Empire Apartments
7. York Apartments
8. Columbia Plaza
9. West End Apartments
10. The President
11. Potomac Plaza Terraces Inc.
12. The Jefferson House
13. Bon Wit Plaza
14. Potomac Plaza Apartments
15. Elise Apartments

Does anyone have any idea which one is the best/recommended (economical/good place)? and which is the really good place to live in (even if not economical)? and the cheapest place (even if not really good)?

Here is the link to the Colubmia Plaza reviews that I saw earlier: http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate/DC-Washington-Columbia-Plaza.html

I am glad to see the positive feedback about CP here.  Just a quick question for those who know the area, from the reading basic maps it seemed that the Statesman is a lot closer than CP, is it still OK to walk from the CP to GW in the winter? or is really bad? sorry I haven't been there so I don't know the location/weather etc.  Thanks.

go w/ CP if you could afford it ( i have known a ton of people there over the years and rarely ever complaints..)   a cheap place on the list would be the york.. all those places are walkable..   although the dakota is a dorm, not apt building.    and besides, doesn't gw place law students in cp anyway, y not jus live there?   
damn waitlists..

tsol

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2006, 09:47:42 PM »
columbia plaza is way better than the statesman, which is overpriced and undersized.

the dakota is a dorm for undergrad sophpmores, so i'd cross that off your list.

other than those two: the bon witt is a litle overpriced, i think, and the rest are pretty much the same, both in price and in actual apartments.

expanding your search up a few blocks (say to T St, for instance) and East or West a few blocks (between 33rd, maybe, and 14th), you could easily find a much cheaper and much nicer place in a better neighborhood. However, if it's not public transportation accessible (parts of Georgetown), it'll be about a 20 minute walk to school. Still woth it, as Foggy Bottom sucks as a neighborhood.

mikeredd

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2006, 12:21:08 AM »
This is a helpful thread. Hey desig or ceb, how hard is it for a 0L to get a spot in Columbia Plaza? I filled out an interest form like a month ago. When should I be hearing back if I get a spot? Thanks

Zoli

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2006, 03:39:23 AM »
Do you get any type of discount if you find rats in your building?
"I say NO to drugs but they don't listen."

lovelovelovenyc

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2006, 03:05:09 PM »
A bf went to GW undergrad, and a good number of kids who got kicked out of university housing for drugs ended up in the Statesman.  May not want that environment in law school...JS