Law School Discussion

THE SUB 150 CLUB...WE DESERVE A THREAD!

MrSmittie

• Rebel Law - why what happens in Vegas stays here.
    • View Profile
Re: THE SUB 150 CLUB...WE DESERVE A THREAD!
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2006, 08:45:38 PM »
i'm a 152/3.08 with a scholarship to ualr.  it's a t3, and they hand-picked me and treated me like the most valuable applicant they ever had.

at the hotel after admit day, i met the lt governor, and a state senator bought me a beer.  i was invited to stay in touch for summer internships after 1L, because my passion for public interest law matched theirs.  i think it also helped that i'm 46, been around the block a few times, am not easily intimidated, and comfortable with people in positions of power.  as soon as i got home, i googled them both, wrote a 'nice to meet you letter' and specifically mentioned how some of their areas of interest matched mine.

NOT ONCE was i asked for my lsat.  they seemed to care more about what i was passionate about than what my test scores were -- they assumed that since i was accepted to law school, that was sufficient.

dont let anybody rain on your parade, yo.  never underestimate yourself non-trads -- lsdreamer --everyone, do your best in school, ALWAYS BE READY TO NETWORK, and you will do well.

He Rev! What's Up?

This is a great post and I envision similar opportunities for myself. I am stoked that you had a great visit and have begun networking already! It sounds like you have made up your mind about where to attend. That's awesome! I'm pretty sure I'm headed to UNLV. I just have to sell my house and arrange for a job transfer. I visited last week and was given a tour by an alum. This week the school sent me an alumni contact list. Some graduates hold some pretty impressive positions, and the alum I met with said one of her former profs now sits on the 9th circuit court. Not too shabby.

For the OP (and others): I did not score below 150, but I am very glad this thread exists. I can totally relate to the feeling of being shat upon by people who think it's T1 (or T14) or nothing. Hell, two months ago, I hadn't even finished a UG degree -and I'm 38 years old! I have always wanted to be a lawyer, but life handed me a different set of cards. I am not about the money, in fact, I already make about $60K/yr (and have for a few years even without my UG degree). Out of LS, I expect I will make about the same to begin with, but within a reasonable amount of time I will earn an income that provides a lifestyle for my family that is exponentially better than we currently enjoy. No one can tell me anything different and least of all, people who do not personally know me, the things I have accomplished and the things of which I am capable. I say, GO FOR IT! In the end, YOU are the only one that can (or will) nurture your own success and/or failure. Fu@& everybody and anybody who tries to pi$$ on your cherios. 

kmpnj

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2006, 09:42:44 PM »
First, I must say what an awesome post this is.  I'm always impressed when super-competitive people can still find time to be respectful and supportive of each other.

I am not a sub-150, although my over all numbers are not that impressive (2.56/152).  Still, I've been accepted to 4 schools and have decided on the T4 Widener University in Wilmington, Delaware. 

I would like to address the issue of the value (or non-value) of attending a T3 or T4 school.  If anyone is basing their decision to go to law school solely on money, then they are a fool.  Is there a lot of money to be made as a lawyer?  Absolutely.  However, there are other, more lucrative ways to make money.  My brother, for example, graduated high school twenty years ago, started a trucking business with his friend in 1990 and made over $300K last year.  My other brother, also a high school graduate, got promoted to Sgt. at the County Jail where he works as a CO and brought home about $80K last year and, in 13 more years, will have ensured a 75% pension and full health benefits for him and his wife for the rest of their lives.  Not a bad set-up for two un-educated guys like my brothers.

I was on a similar path until a few years ago.  I was working in an Applebees and was going through the process of becoming a store manager.  With bonuses, I was looking at pulling down about $50K.  Not bad for a single guy of 27 (at the time).  Then 19 guys from the middle east slammed airplanes into the World Trade Center, the Pentagon and a field outside of Pittsburg, PA.  When my reserve unit got called up, I had to go guard prisoners at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba (not nearly as horrible as the media portray, by the way.).  While doing this, I realized that I should do more with my life then just sling burgers and fries.  Upon getting back from Cuba (my navy reserve time was up), I got a job with my brother at the jail.  I made decent money, but it opened my eyes to the legal process and inspired me to go back to college and complete my degree (come on May 7!).  It also inspired me to go to law school, which I will begin in August.

My point (long winded as it may be) is this:  If money were my sole motivator, I never would have left the restaurant business.  Had I stayed, I probably would have been a GM by now and been pulling down @ $80k per year.  I'm going to law school because, when its done right, the law is about the greatest thing that mankind has ever given itself and I will be damned honored to take part in that.  Maybe because I've sworn an oath before, but when I raise my right hand and take the oath upon entering the bar, I'm going to do so with the full cognizance that I am obligated to use the law to further society and the United States of America; not my own, individual bank account.  I'm not sure what form my practice will take, but my overall goal will be the same.  I would hope that everyone who goes to law school would have the same goal (I realize that most don't), because we all are being given a gift.  Certainly, a law degree is owed to none of us.  Therefore, we are all obligated to the furtherance of the profession.

In this light, I cannot see how investing in a law degree is not valuable, no matter what school's name is on the masthead of the diploma.  A degree from Widener may not be as initially valuable, in terms of the degree holder's income, as, say, a Notre Dame grad's.  However, if both practice their craft with honesty and integrity, then both have added something to the profession and, in deed, to our nation.  I'd say that's pretty valuable.

MrSmittie

• Rebel Law - why what happens in Vegas stays here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2006, 10:15:11 PM »
First, I must say what an awesome post this is.  I'm always impressed when super-competitive people can still find time to be respectful and supportive of each other.

I am not a sub-150, although my over all numbers are not that impressive (2.56/152).  Still, I've been accepted to 4 schools and have decided on the T4 Widener University in Wilmington, Delaware. 

I would like to address the issue of the value (or non-value) of attending a T3 or T4 school.  If anyone is basing their decision to go to law school solely on money, then they are a fool.  Is there a lot of money to be made as a lawyer?  Absolutely.  However, there are other, more lucrative ways to make money.  My brother, for example, graduated high school twenty years ago, started a trucking business with his friend in 1990 and made over $300K last year.  My other brother, also a high school graduate, got promoted to Sgt. at the County Jail where he works as a CO and brought home about $80K last year and, in 13 more years, will have ensured a 75% pension and full health benefits for him and his wife for the rest of their lives.  Not a bad set-up for two un-educated guys like my brothers.

I was on a similar path until a few years ago.  I was working in an Applebees and was going through the process of becoming a store manager.  With bonuses, I was looking at pulling down about $50K.  Not bad for a single guy of 27 (at the time).  Then 19 guys from the middle east slammed airplanes into the World Trade Center, the Pentagon and a field outside of Pittsburg, PA.  When my reserve unit got called up, I had to go guard prisoners at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba (not nearly as horrible as the media portray, by the way.).  While doing this, I realized that I should do more with my life then just sling burgers and fries.  Upon getting back from Cuba (my navy reserve time was up), I got a job with my brother at the jail.  I made decent money, but it opened my eyes to the legal process and inspired me to go back to college and complete my degree (come on May 7!).  It also inspired me to go to law school, which I will begin in August.

My point (long winded as it may be) is this:  If money were my sole motivator, I never would have left the restaurant business.  Had I stayed, I probably would have been a GM by now and been pulling down @ $80k per year.  I'm going to law school because, when its done right, the law is about the greatest thing that mankind has ever given itself and I will be damned honored to take part in that.  Maybe because I've sworn an oath before, but when I raise my right hand and take the oath upon entering the bar, I'm going to do so with the full cognizance that I am obligated to use the law to further society and the United States of America; not my own, individual bank account.  I'm not sure what form my practice will take, but my overall goal will be the same.  I would hope that everyone who goes to law school would have the same goal (I realize that most don't), because we all are being given a gift.  Certainly, a law degree is owed to none of us.  Therefore, we are all obligated to the furtherance of the profession.

In this light, I cannot see how investing in a law degree is not valuable, no matter what school's name is on the masthead of the diploma.  A degree from Widener may not be as initially valuable, in terms of the degree holder's income, as, say, a Notre Dame grad's.  However, if both practice their craft with honesty and integrity, then both have added something to the profession and, in deed, to our nation.  I'd say that's pretty valuable.

I think this should be the CREDITED Response!

jashdey

« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2006, 10:34:30 PM »
To repeat what others have said, this is a great thread. :)

I was not really bothered about the whole law school application process until I discovered LSD.  Then, I became neurotic and paranoid.   >:(   LSD is full of crazy people, really. 

Fortunately, I'm adult enough to have gotten over that, and now I'm quite happy to be attending a lower-tiered school  (I still haven't heard from the higher-tiered one yet, but expect a ding - and even if not, don't think I'd go).  In my situation, the lower-tier school will actually be more expensive as it's private, but it is SO much better for me lifestyle-wise.  And considering it is for 3 years of my life, that is very important to me.

Count me as another that could easily be making six figures in 3 years if I chose to stay in my current profession - but I don't want to.  I want the challenge of law school, and I want the future job prospects that will come to me as a lawyer.  None of that has anything to do with money.  Education is a wonderful investment, no matter what salary you get at the end of the day.

nowayman

• "No way, man." Phrase: to have disbelief.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2006, 09:42:41 AM »
Does everyone really have to preface their posts by saying "I didn't score below 150..."  That's really upsetting, and I'm not going into why.   

« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2006, 09:48:31 AM »
Does everyone really have to preface their posts by saying "I didn't score below 150..."  That's really upsetting, and I'm not going into why.   

yes it is.

« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2006, 10:14:06 AM »

I noticed that, too.   ;) It is nice to know, though, that people are being supportive, despite their higher score.  Where are the SUB 150's?  Of course, comments are welcome from anyone. Support is support. These are great posts. It's so nice to see people write about something besides rank and $$...I enjoy hearing really down-to-earth people talk about what led them to the decisiosn to study law and what makes them so passionate about it. That's what it's all about.  :)

« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2006, 10:46:01 AM »

yes it is.

I think the intent there was to show that not everyone who scored above a 150 thinks they are better/smarter/elite, etc. I mentioned it to show MY OWN law school perspective. I am still waiting on my first acceptance, after 8 rejections and 2 waitlists, so in no way was it meant to be an ego boost for myself! I think it was to show support if anything! I scored above a 150 (slighhtly) and feel that everyone who is brave enough to take on this law school ordeal is deserving of respect and at LEAST one thread on LSD. LSD has made me feel...well...like I'm ON LSD (kidding). But it can make you sort of paranoid and crazy if you let people upset you. Norcaldude's attitude is a little bit beyond me, hence why I tried to get more of an explination out of him regarding his "negative investment" theory. 
It might interest someone to know that I've asked my bosses and they've let me know that pay would dramatically increase if a candiate has a masters or law degree on his or her resume. I'd be stunned if I don't make more than 35K after I have graduated from law school, even in public interest or another traditionally low paying legal field.

It would be awesome to see some kids on here who've scored lower than 150. I KNOW they are getting into law school. LSN is proof of that. I'm actually sort of interested to know why people's prefaces have upset you...my intent was never to offend. 

Kittyl30

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2006, 11:00:17 AM »
i think anyone who scored below 160 is getting *&^% on my stupid elitist LSD people

cyberrev

« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2006, 11:17:55 AM »

I noticed that, too.   ;) It is nice to know, though, that people are being supportive, despite their higher score.  Where are the SUB 150's?  Of course, comments are welcome from anyone. Support is support. These are great posts. It's so nice to see people write about something besides rank and $$...I enjoy hearing really down-to-earth people talk about what led them to the decisiosn to study law and what makes them so passionate about it. That's what it's all about.  :)

thats the first time i've had my 152 referred to as a 'higher score' <lol>