Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: THE SUB 150 CLUB...WE DESERVE A THREAD!  (Read 6786 times)

lsdreamer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
THE SUB 150 CLUB...WE DESERVE A THREAD!
« on: April 07, 2006, 03:45:14 AM »
I'm probably inviting countless "You really need to take the LSAT again" comments, but I think we deserve a thread, too. Yes, I know I should (and most likely will), take that damn test again. But, for now, I'm hoping this will be a supportive thread for those of us who didn't ace/do well on the LSAT. 

My story...I took the test with bronchitis and while taking care of my brother, who is mentally challenged. I was working 60-80 hours a week for a non-profit. There was absolutely no other date I could take the test and the Princeton Review course I'd taken was a joke. I studied on my own and just did it...and got a 145.  :'( Of course, if I hadn't been sick for another 2 months, I may have been sane enough to cancel my score (I had a bad feeling). 

Real life does get in the way sometimes...and hey, some people just don't test well, but are great students. If I had a bunch of $$/rich parents who were generous, I would hire a private tutor from Testmasters, take time off my job, and focus on this test. My GPA is 3.7 and I graduated with honors, tons of volunteer work/awards. I applied last year to schools far above where I should have and didn't get in anywhere. This year, I applied to 5, T-4 schools. I'm crossing my fingers and trying to stay positive...This wait is killing me!

What's your story?  Welcome to the club! ;D

pgcc

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: THE SUB 150 CLUB...WE DESERVE A THREAD!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 11:59:18 AM »
I feel for you man. Although I am not in your situation I really hope things work out for you. And please take the rankings with a grain of salt. If you went to Yale or Cooly once you graduate and pass the bar you are still a lawyer so keep your head up. I am pulling for you.

Xmaize

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 12:17:10 PM »
My grades are up there and my LSAT is completly the definition of average. I've been really frusterated (esp last night after my WL at NESL) but I think threads like this are important. You might want to check out the Tier 3 and Tier 4 Acceptances and Rejections thread. I'm not sub 150, but I'm right around there and am still waiting on my first acceptance. 8 rejections are tough to stomach, but looking back, I would have applied earlier, to more PT programs and to less reaches. Like pcgg said, there ARE countless examples of people going to 3rd and 4th tier schools making quite a name for themselves and doing very well as lawyers. My mother has several friends who went to Cooley and are surpassing both her and my father in salary or work as District attorneys.

Don't worry about people who tell you to take the LSAT again. If you feel it is right for you to do that, go for it. I took it twice and did slightly better after dropping 1,300 on a class. The very idea that I slaved away at a great UG for 4 years in DC and have busted my ass to get promotions at a great firm in DC for almost 2 years now might have been for nothing...it keeps me awake at night. But in reality, it means what I make it mean. I have 3 awesome schools left to hear from and I'd be thrilled to go to any.

Sorry for SO much info! It's a rainy, boring day at work. Where did you apply? How is your cycle going? Most of all, GOOD LUCK!
GOTCHA:....:(
THANKS FOR TAKING MY APP $$: Temple, Denver, Loyola Chicago, DePaul, Drexel, Penn State, Northeastern, UNC, Santa Clara
BEING PAINFULLY PATIENT: NCCU, UNLV (PT), GSU (PT)
WAITLIST: Suffolk, NESL

bobbykurva

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2006, 01:27:44 PM »
It can be done. I scored <150 on both of my lsats and I have been accepted @ WNEC. I'm waitlisted at NESL and Albany, and still waiting for a handful of others.

My GPA isn't that great either - 3.1.

I do have a couple of years of work experience (high responsibility position), and a kick-ass PE if I do say so myself.

I'm not a URM - just your average whitey - so no help there.

It can be done - Keep your head up.

michelleinsea

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2006, 02:14:39 PM »
If you picked some schools that are realistic sub 150 scores can and will get acceptances.  The LSAT is not the whole story.  You might have worked hard to get good grades in undergrad for 4 years, had years of work and volunteer experience, etc.  All of that can't and shouldn't be negated by one day of testing.  I didn't get a sub 150, but I was scared I might and looked into if I could go anywhere if that happened.  I know that I could have, and I know that you can and will.  I also have a friend who had a 146 with a 3.3 gpa, not a URM, not a ton of soft factors, and he got into California Western, Golden Gate, Southwestern, and Detroit Mercy.  Not the best schools, but some of them are decent, and they're acceptances nonetheless.  Keep your heads up and know that there are a lot of people who are hoping you're going somewhere in the fall. :)

norcaldude

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2006, 02:25:42 PM »
Not the best schools, but some of them are decent, and they're acceptances nonetheless. 

Acceptances at those schools don't count unless they come with full fee waivers, because paying for tuition there has a negative present value.  At least at lower Tier 1s, if you think you're smarter than the average student, you *might* come out ahead, even after the tuition and opportunity costs are accounted for.  Not at those schools.  Regardless of other factors.  For most, unless your undergraduate degree is particularly worthless, even attending some of the schools (e.g. Golden Gate, Detroit Mercy...) for zero tuition is a bad investment.

Manwithaplan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2006, 03:18:32 PM »
This thread has been long,long overdue. I scored a 148 my first time. I was devastated. what killed me inside was I prepared like a mad man in preperation. I thought I had done all I could. When I got the score I was shocked, then severely depressed for the better part of a week. I spent my days going over every second of the test seeing where I went wrong, I chalked it up to nerves, but it obviously goes deeper than that. At this point I thought my dream was over and I had a useless degree in pol sci. It didn't help that my parents were not supportive whatsoever.

But I got on the horse again and retook the test. I think it all worked out ok...i got into usd in the end.

This thread is going to be a fountain of hate-o-rade  for all those HYS, 175+ arrogant bastards on this board. There are A LOT of them here and they live to bring down others. They have nothing to add and live off demeaning others confidence. So I say to all my sub 150 brothers in arms out there to ignore the haters, it is our perogative to apply to the schools that we wish, it is our perogative to go about this process as we see fit. Don't listen to them when they say you should not consider law school bc of your lsat. They'll say that we will get killed by the grading curve and so all that law school will do is take a year's tuition from us. They say the only schools worth going to are t-14 schools and that any other schools have no job prospects. They will call us names. They know nothing about us and our personal history or the baggage that led to whatever lsat score we got, yet they assume they know everything.

Good luck to everyone! do your best and have the last laugh, because I promise you it will be the most satisfying laugh you will ever have.
USD Law grad

terralily

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2006, 03:41:22 PM »
I have to agree with Manwithaplan.  I did well on the LSAT but my GPA is AWFUL!  So a 150 is what 50% of people taking the LSAT.   Think about how many people take the LSAT and how may people are in this country.  Even with a 150 your still part of some of the smartest people in the country.  As far as the t14 snobs and Mr. norcaldude your law career is what you make of it.  I'm sure their are plenty of t14 grads that have failed miserably in their career because they lacked hard work.  Just as I am sure their are plent of T3/4 grads who suceeded because they put their noses to the grindstone. 

Sure a better ranked school will give certain advantages, but if your an arrogant prick...that advantage is going to dry up real quick.  Besides, every lawyer I've talked to says five years after graduation...no one cares, they look at your work record.   

Good luck to all!
Windy City here I come....DePaul it is!!!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=terralily

LSATguy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2006, 03:45:02 PM »
I scored a 146 and i am not ashamed about it. And no i wont give the LSAT ever again. I have applied to 7 schools and if i am able to get in fine if not then i dont care. Life is about moving on. It is so unfortunate that people who score less than 150 are considered as average or even less than that. I got a 146 and right now i have a 3.6 GPA, i am on the business school deans list and in another honors program which has only about 40 people in it out of school of 7000 students. I am proud of myself and all of you guys who scored less than 150 should be too BECAUSE I AM PRETTY SURE YOU ARE REALLY GOOD AT SOMETHING ELSE, YOU ARE EVEN BETTER THAN THE GUY WHO SCORED A 170. TRUST ME LSAT DOESN'T TELL YOU ANYTHING. IF LSAT TRULY PREDICTED MY OR YOUR ABILITIES THEN WE WOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN IN COLLEGE IN THE FIRST PLACE. RELAX AND ENJOY....I AM DOING THE SAME.  :)

Xmaize

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2006, 04:03:21 PM »
I'm a little confused by norcaldude's comment...
Not the best schools, but some of them are decent, and they're acceptances nonetheless. 

Acceptances at those schools don't count unless they come with full fee waivers, because paying for tuition there has a negative present value.  At least at lower Tier 1s, if you think you're smarter than the average student, you *might* come out ahead, even after the tuition and opportunity costs are accounted for.  Not at those schools.  Regardless of other factors.  For most, unless your undergraduate degree is particularly worthless, even attending some of the schools (e.g. Golden Gate, Detroit Mercy...) for zero tuition is a bad investment.

So if you go to a top school(is that what you meant by Tier 1?) and "think you're smarter than the average student" you do well?? Haha, wow, not according to my friends who have gone onto great schools. It's tough. Not really sure what that point was...maybe it's me.

Even the sentence "zero tuition is a bad investment" is funny to me. If you are not paying for school, but simply investing your time and come away with a degree...how does that hurt? Clearly these people are interested in investing 3 years in school. I hate to bring up your personal factors, but according to LSN, a 171 doesn't get you into NYU, Berkley or UCLA. Wow, shows that LSAT isn't everything doesn't it.
GOTCHA:....:(
THANKS FOR TAKING MY APP $$: Temple, Denver, Loyola Chicago, DePaul, Drexel, Penn State, Northeastern, UNC, Santa Clara
BEING PAINFULLY PATIENT: NCCU, UNLV (PT), GSU (PT)
WAITLIST: Suffolk, NESL