Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Official "I'm Going to Penn!" Thread  (Read 51112 times)

goodgal

• View Profile
Re: The Official "I'm Going to Penn!" Thread
« Reply #650 on: August 15, 2006, 03:59:31 PM »
Did you think about getting the 2.0 GHz processor Macbook rather than the 1.83 GHz? Or any increased memory (e.g., seems like Penn's recommendation is more like 1GB RAM)?

fwiw, I got the 2.0 GHz version, with 1GB of RAM and 80Gs of hard drive space.  But I'm a bit upgrade-crazy.  I did the same sort of upgrades with my current iBook and I'm fairly certain they haven't been making a difference (I've only used up about half of the hard drive space so far.)  I guess I like the sort of "security blanket" feeling it gives me.

alliwini

• View Profile
« Reply #651 on: August 15, 2006, 04:34:53 PM »
I've just been reading some online reviews of the macbook. Seems like people overall are pretty impressed, though some find that the unit gets way too hot and that the glossy screen is annoying. Does anyone have any first-hand experience confirming or contradicting either of these things?

Steve.jd

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: August 15, 2006, 04:46:20 PM »
I've just been reading some online reviews of the macbook. Seems like people overall are pretty impressed, though some find that the unit gets way too hot and that the glossy screen is annoying. Does anyone have any first-hand experience confirming or contradicting either of these things?

I dont know anything about the screen but my friends Powerbook G4 used to get retardedly hot...the titanium case heats up like a furnace
HLS '09

"Legapp" Stands for "Legal Application"

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: August 15, 2006, 04:50:39 PM »
Oh, sure, of course the snobs at Hahr-vahd have Thinkpads...  ;)

Kidding, kidding!

I'm going to have a ThinkPad too. Does that make me a snob?

Nope.  I've met Steve IRL, and he's not a snob...so that's why I feel alright teasing him about the Harvard thing.  :)
I am officially a law school graduate : )

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: August 15, 2006, 04:53:10 PM »

It gets warm, but it's my first laptop, so I have no idea if it's unusually warm... I put it on my lap and it was okay.  The glossy screen is just a personal preference... it's more reflective outside, but inside it makes the screen look amazing.  Are you in Philly?  If these are the comps you're interested in, you should just go to the Penn bookstore and check 'em out... they're all sitting there side-by-side.  :)

alliwini

• View Profile
« Reply #655 on: August 15, 2006, 04:56:03 PM »
I was going to head over to the bookstore in a little while actually...

Here's another question - I remember reading that a few people on the board were excited about the online printer rebate (or maybe at the time it was a free printer?) Anyone especially excited about the model chosen and feel like telling me why?

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: August 16, 2006, 10:23:10 AM »
I was going to head over to the bookstore in a little while actually...

Here's another question - I remember reading that a few people on the board were excited about the online printer rebate (or maybe at the time it was a free printer?) Anyone especially excited about the model chosen and feel like telling me why?

Most of us went with the HP scanner/copier/printer, because it was free after rebate... I haven't set mine up yet, though.

You can also get a free ipod Nano, or upgrade for more money to a video ipod (is it wrong that this is the only thing i updgraded?  :)).

Towelie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: August 16, 2006, 10:40:02 PM »
Grocery stores near Rittenhouse Square... are there any that are walkable?
Penn Law '09

Steve.jd

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: August 16, 2006, 10:59:42 PM »
Oh, sure, of course the snobs at Hahr-vahd have Thinkpads...  ;)

Kidding, kidding!

I'm going to have a ThinkPad too. Does that make me a snob?

Nope.  I've met Steve IRL, and he's not a snob...so that's why I feel alright teasing him about the Harvard thing.  :)

:-*
HLS '09

supadupa

• View Profile
« Reply #659 on: August 17, 2006, 12:29:34 AM »
Who is living near Rittenhouse?  I am going to be living there and wanted to know who else would be around..let me know!