Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Official "I'm Going to Penn!" Thread  (Read 50879 times)

alliwini

• View Profile
Re: The Official "I'm Going to Penn!" Thread
« Reply #640 on: August 15, 2006, 02:29:03 PM »
Did you think about getting the 2.0 GHz processor Macbook rather than the 1.83 GHz? Or any increased memory (e.g., seems like Penn's recommendation is more like 1GB RAM)?

Steve.jd

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: August 15, 2006, 02:31:46 PM »
Hi LSDers - So, it seems a lot of you on this thread decided to go with a macbook rather than a PC. I have been dragging my feet on buying a laptop for about a month... Now that we are more or less down to the wire, I need to make a decision. The "been using PCs for at least 10 years and at least know the devil" part of me, combined with the "what if Bootcamp doesn't work come exam time" part of me are pushing me to a Thinkpad. The "want a really good computer" and "really like my friends' macs" parts tell me to get a Macbook. I'm about to tip to the mac. But it would be really reassuring to hear from those of you who have already bought one, especially those of you who have already tested Bootcamp or looked into the issue extensively, that I'm making a good choice. Anyone???

And as a corollary, which macbooks have you been getting? What have you customized? Are there any "extras" I definitely need to buy? And did you buy your macbook off of the apple website or through the Penn Computer Connection or somewhere else?

This girl needs help.

I've never had a Mac, although I like them, but FWIW I bought a thinkpad X60s and am really happy with it.  It runs great, very fast, very light, very small, etc.  Also IBM customer support is amazing.
HLS '09

"Legapp" Stands for "Legal Application"

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: August 15, 2006, 02:33:29 PM »
Did you think about getting the 2.0 GHz processor Macbook rather than the 1.83 GHz? Or any increased memory (e.g., seems like Penn's recommendation is more like 1GB RAM)?

Nah.  I guess because I have my older desktop, with dual 800 mHz processors (they were top-of-the-line in 1999!), and it still rocks.  
I am officially a law school graduate : )

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: August 15, 2006, 02:34:22 PM »

I've never had a Mac, although I like them, but FWIW I bought a thinkpad X60s and am really happy with it.  It runs great, very fast, very light, very small, etc.  Also IBM customer support is amazing.

Steve, get outta the Penn thread!!!  :D

alliwini

• View Profile
« Reply #644 on: August 15, 2006, 02:39:30 PM »
Steve - I thought about the x60 series... How is the little screen treating you? I'll admit I haven't actually had the chance to examine one, but it just sounded so small... The lightweight factor is a huge draw, though...

Steve.jd

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
« Reply #645 on: August 15, 2006, 02:53:48 PM »

Steve, get outta the Penn thread!!!  :D

:(

I still <3 you though ;)

Steve - I thought about the x60 series... How is the little screen treating you? I'll admit I haven't actually had the chance to examine one, but it just sounded so small... The lightweight factor is a huge draw, though...

My old laptop was a 15.4" Dell and my desktop is a 19" LCD so I figured 12" would suck, but its really not noticeable, although if I switch from laptop to desktop, the LCD looks and feels like a monster :P

I went to bestbuy and looked at 12" laptops before I bought it to make sure I would be okay with it first; you might want to do that too...

The thing only weights about ~3.2 lbs, battery life is "eternal" - running for about 3 hours now and I'm still at 72% power (get the 8-cell!!!), and it has every feature I could ever need on a laptop including bluetooth and firewire.

HLS '09

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: August 15, 2006, 03:18:37 PM »
Oh, sure, of course the snobs at Hahr-vahd have Thinkpads...  ;)

Kidding, kidding!

Towelie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: August 15, 2006, 03:30:03 PM »
Oh, sure, of course the snobs at Hahr-vahd have Thinkpads...  ;)

Kidding, kidding!

I'm going to have a ThinkPad too. Does that make me a snob?
Penn Law '09

alliwini

• View Profile
« Reply #648 on: August 15, 2006, 03:35:23 PM »
What kind of thinkpad are you going to have towelie? Or do you have it already?

Towelie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: August 15, 2006, 03:53:54 PM »
What kind of thinkpad are you going to have towelie? Or do you have it already?

I think it's the same one Steve has. I don't have it yet, but I got it through the Back2School sale Penn's bookstore was running. I don't know the logistics of the computer, but it seems pretty powerful and I've only heard good things about IBM.
Penn Law '09