Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Official "I'm Going to Penn!" Thread  (Read 50887 times)

ny06

• View Profile
Re: The Official "I'm Going to Penn!" Thread
« Reply #390 on: June 09, 2006, 11:02:06 AM »
hey guys

just a little FYI for anyone who's still waiting on buying a laptop.  it's still unofficial, but it looks like they'll probably be letting us know soon that we can go ahead and buy macbooks if we want them.  so if you wanted a macbook but thought you couldn't have one - hold out!

I'm totally getting a Macbook, but I think I'll wait for Leopard.  Which means I'll probably have one of these pieces of crap my first year:

http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineSales/topics/global.aspx/arb/online/en/InventorySearch?c=us&cs=22&l=en&s=dfh

woah!!! those are some serious cheapies!  maybe i will check that out, too. although, I might be afraid it would crash on me in the middle of an exam.

i need to sit down and figure out what the best course of action is (wait for leopard/don't wait for leopard)

When is leopard going to be available?  I'm not sure what I should do either. 

ny06

• View Profile
« Reply #391 on: June 09, 2006, 11:06:17 AM »
aargh.  I don't know what to do.  I'm faced with two scenarios that frighten me equally:  using my IBook for the first year and renting a crappy laptop that might crash on exams, or buying a PC and also risk having it crash on exams because it's a crappy PC.

"Legapp" Stands for "Legal Application"

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: June 09, 2006, 11:48:24 AM »
hey guys

just a little FYI for anyone who's still waiting on buying a laptop.  it's still unofficial, but it looks like they'll probably be letting us know soon that we can go ahead and buy macbooks if we want them.  so if you wanted a macbook but thought you couldn't have one - hold out!

I'm totally getting a Macbook, but I think I'll wait for Leopard.  Which means I'll probably have one of these pieces of crap my first year:

http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineSales/topics/global.aspx/arb/online/en/InventorySearch?c=us&cs=22&l=en&s=dfh

woah!!! those are some serious cheapies!  maybe i will check that out, too. although, I might be afraid it would crash on me in the middle of an exam.

i need to sit down and figure out what the best course of action is (wait for leopard/don't wait for leopard)

I think it'll be fine if you only use it for notetaking and exams... I'm keeping all my good stuff and heavy programs on my G4 only.
I am officially a law school graduate : )

merkina

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: June 09, 2006, 12:17:26 PM »
Where do I send my MPN?  Anyone know?

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: June 09, 2006, 12:27:22 PM »

You can fill it out online here: https://dlenote.ed.gov/empn/completenew.jsp

But I totally forgot my PIN, so I'm waiting for them to email it to me.

It's annoying that the latest Fin Aid email didn't include the link, and I had to Google.  The website also tells you to do it, and again, no link.  :-\

wunder

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: June 09, 2006, 12:29:38 PM »

Did you do your MPN through American Educational Services (i.e. the company Penn works with)?  Mine had to be mailed to AES at a PO Box number in Harrisburg.  It showed up on the screen where you print your MPN.  If you didn't go through AES, my bet is the same thing applies and you have to send your signed MPN to the company you're getting your loan through.  (Makes sense since you will be promising to pay them back)

ny06

• View Profile
« Reply #396 on: June 09, 2006, 12:35:10 PM »
Should I be worried if I still haven't received any info regarding financial aid for next year (other than, of course, to make sure I knew that I wasn't getting any need-based aid.) Since that mailing, I haven't received anything, and I'm worried since I'm taking this all out in loans.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: June 09, 2006, 12:37:20 PM »
Should I be worried if I still haven't received any info regarding financial aid for next year (other than, of course, to make sure I knew that I wasn't getting any need-based aid.) Since that mailing, I haven't received anything, and I'm worried since I'm taking this all out in loans.

I was an early action applicant, and I just got my stuff on Wednesday.  I say wait a week before you get nervous  ;)

wunder

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: June 09, 2006, 12:55:58 PM »

I was an early action applicant, and I just got my stuff on Wednesday.  I say wait a week before you get nervous  ;)

Ditto for me.  I didn't get *any* information on my financial aid status until I got my MPN mailing last week, and I was early action (although I didn't commit to attend until April 14th).  I still don't know if I qualify for need-base aid - I'm assuming I don't - but I haven't gotten any overall financial award statement.

That being said, I know you can access some of the financial aid stuff online if you have your Penn Key setup already.  I can try to figure out how I got there if you can't find it.  I think you have to go to the www.sfs.upenn.edu website to get there.  My account statement shows my scholarship and I can see that I qualified for the Stafford loans at least.

vickymaz

« Reply #399 on: June 09, 2006, 04:03:14 PM »
Yeah, I did my MPN through the AES website, not the Direct Loans website; I thought they were two different companies, but maybe not. Anyway, the AES site was the link in the letter Penn sent out about Stafford loans.

Thanks for the info on the Penn Portal, wunder. It's cool :) Now, is it bad that I never submitted my tax forms (or my parents' tax forms)? They told me in February that I wouldn't get any need-based aid, so I didn't follow through with it...