Law School Discussion

The Official "I'm Going to Penn!" Thread

Re: The Official "I'm Going to Penn!" Thread
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2006, 02:02:30 PM »
Where are you looking at living, Legapp?  Have you started looking at buildings yet?  I had no idea we had to look so early, but most tenents in Philly give 90 days notice, so they'll know on May 1st what's available for August.  Obviously, this isn't every building, but many of the popular ones will get taken in May. 

I'm soooo excited about starting this fall!!  Can't wait to get to Philly and meet everyone!

As for finding a studio/1br in Rittenhouse for under 1000, that'll be tough.  You might want to think about a roomie...

Yeah, the brokers won't even deal with me until 90 days before move-in date. 

As for prices, maybe you've only been looking at high-rises?  A studio in a brownstone can easily be had within that price range... my main problem seems to be finding one that's dog-friendly.  It will be easier once we're able to deal with brokers.

I call first dibs on cheap places that allow dogs!   :D

Towlie

« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2006, 02:13:01 PM »
Where are you looking at living, Legapp?  Have you started looking at buildings yet?  I had no idea we had to look so early, but most tenents in Philly give 90 days notice, so they'll know on May 1st what's available for August.  Obviously, this isn't every building, but many of the popular ones will get taken in May. 

I'm soooo excited about starting this fall!!  Can't wait to get to Philly and meet everyone!

As for finding a studio/1br in Rittenhouse for under 1000, that'll be tough.  You might want to think about a roomie...

Yeah, the brokers won't even deal with me until 90 days before move-in date. 

As for prices, maybe you've only been looking at high-rises?  A studio in a brownstone can easily be had within that price range... my main problem seems to be finding one that's dog-friendly.  It will be easier once we're able to deal with brokers.

I call first dibs on cheap places that allow dogs!   :D

I am looking in high rises, because it's hard to find brownstones online. However, I think a brownstone would be charming and kind of awesome. Legapp, when you go and visit could you let me know if you find any nice, non-dog friendly ones? I'll let you know if I find any nice (dog-friendly) ones too!

Btw, Tony Henry at Financial Aid told me if your rent goes above the 850 budget you can get your budget raised.. he didn't tell me the maximum you can get it raised to, but he said $950/month is well within that range. HTH.

« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2006, 02:18:33 PM »
I'm glad to hear that they'll raise the budget.  I've heard from many current students that the budget they give is very very underestimated.  My rent is going to be $1000 a month, so I'll need to get the budget raised by about $2500 for the year, not that bad really...

Have fun apartment hunting!  I'm sure when you go to Philly to visit the places you'll have a better idea of what's out there, and feel more comfortable.  I'm moving into my place on August 1st -- and my roomie isn't getting there until the end of August, so I'll have a floor if people need it! :)

« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2006, 02:40:09 PM »
I'm glad to hear that they'll raise the budget.  I've heard from many current students that the budget they give is very very underestimated.  My rent is going to be $1000 a month, so I'll need to get the budget raised by about $2500 for the year, not that bad really...

Have fun apartment hunting!  I'm sure when you go to Philly to visit the places you'll have a better idea of what's out there, and feel more comfortable.  I'm moving into my place on August 1st -- and my roomie isn't getting there until the end of August, so I'll have a floor if people need it! :)

Cool--my plan is to be moved in mid-August (my last day of work is August 18th) so I'll have a fun week to hang out.  We should have a barbecue on my sister's roof! (She's at 15th and Pine.)
FWIW, she pays about $100/month in utility bills... sometimes less, but she said to estimate using that amount.  I think the "board" part of the budget is for utilities, and I guess food... monthly you get:

$835 rent
$425 board
$261 misc.

Ugh... I've lived on 1500/month before, and it wasn't pretty.  :-\

« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2006, 02:45:49 PM »

these calculations are only for 9 months, right? i'm trying to figure out what i'm going to do for money over the summer, especially if i dont get a paying job.  :-\

$425 for utilities and food doesn't sound too bad. although $261 for misc sounds waaay tight.  i'm going to need to beg my parents for help if i ever want to eat out or buy a shirt.

Yep, nine months... the problem is, if we move in August 1st, we're actually looking at TEN months... which is why I'd love to find a place that starts August 15th, although that seems difficult.

Don't sweat next summer; I've heard it's very easy to get a $4000 stipend for summer work. 

« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2006, 02:51:27 PM »
Yeah, I was trying to do the August 15th thing, but just figured that I'd rather have the best place I can find.  I'm taking a second job this summer to pay for August, since I have to prepay two months rent in July (August + 1 month deposit)

Right now I live in NYC for about $2000 a month, but I split a studio with my boyfriend so my rent is low.  I'm scared about the budget I'm going to have to live on in law school...

« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2006, 02:53:39 PM »
Right now I live in NYC for about $2000 a month, but I split a studio with my boyfriend so my rent is low.  I'm scared about the budget I'm going to have to live on in law school...

Same! Except for me:

Right now I live in NYC for about $2000 a month, but I live in Brooklyn so my rent is low.  I'm scared about the budget I'm going to have to live on in law school...

Towlie

« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2006, 02:56:44 PM »
This is all so depressing to me. Right now I live in Tucson and I am paying about $650/month for a 700 sq/ft 1 bedroom apartment with a balcony in a primo location. My rent bill is going up and my apartment size is going down.. exponentially!

« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2006, 03:01:28 PM »
This is all so depressing to me. Right now I live in Tucson and I am paying about $650/month for a 700 sq/ft 1 bedroom apartment with a balcony in a primo location. My rent bill is going up and my apartment size is going down.. exponentially!

Solution: spend the summer in NYC  ;)

« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2006, 03:03:23 PM »
What are the rents like at the Left Bank?