« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2006, 12:26:14 PM »
Still waiting =P

Re: The Official "I'm Going to Penn!" Thread
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2006, 11:33:11 AM »
Sent the deposit to Penn yesterday.

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2006, 11:39:48 AM »
laurenrae--

I have a question about the left bank... When you go out in Center City at night how are you going to get back home?  I'm headed to philly on monday to check out apartments and I'm wondering if that will be an issue.

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2006, 12:55:58 PM »
When I was in Philly for admit weekend, we all went out in Center City and just took cabs back to the apartments, they're easy to find and cheap to split with friends. 

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2006, 01:14:52 PM »
laurenrae--

I have a question about the left bank... When you go out in Center City at night how are you going to get back home?  I'm headed to philly on monday to check out apartments and I'm wondering if that will be an issue.

I'm more worried about heading the opposite way, since I plan to live in CC... how do I get home after a late night at the library?  There was some mention of a shuttle service, but does anyone know when/where it runs?

Too poor for cabs  :'(

Towlie

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2006, 01:39:11 PM »
I am having the WORST time finding a place to live in Philly :(   My mom is getting rid of her bed/sofa so I decided to opt out of the dorm (as not having furniture was the only reason I was going to live there).. and now that I'm looking it sucks! I want to live on my own, less than $1000/month including all utilities, and live in either Rittenhouse or another nice area. If you have any ideas feel free to PM me or just add it on here cause I'm stressin!

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2006, 01:42:00 PM »
I think the Penn bus runs all through Philly (we were in a cab going to a bar in CC, and the Penn bus was behind us) :) So, you should be fine with taking the bus, although I'm not sure how late it runs.

I'm too poor to take a cab alone all the time, but I bet that there will be plenty of students studying late that you can share with.

Where are you looking at living, Legapp?  Have you started looking at buildings yet?  I had no idea we had to look so early, but most tenents in Philly give 90 days notice, so they'll know on May 1st what's available for August.  Obviously, this isn't every building, but many of the popular ones will get taken in May. 

I'm soooo excited about starting this fall!!  Can't wait to get to Philly and meet everyone!

As for finding a studio/1br in Rittenhouse for under 1000, that'll be tough.  You might want to think about a roomie...

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2006, 01:44:06 PM »
I am having the WORST time finding a place to live in Philly :(   My mom is getting rid of her bed/sofa so I decided to opt out of the dorm (as not having furniture was the only reason I was going to live there).. and now that I'm looking it sucks! I want to live on my own, less than $1000/month including all utilities, and live in either Rittenhouse or another nice area. If you have any ideas feel free to PM me or just add it on here cause I'm stressin!

Craig's List isn't working?  When are you planning on moving?  If it's not until August, you've still got plenty of time.  I'm probably doing a visit in mid-late May, so I'll let you know if I see any cute non-dog friendly places  ;).    

It's a bit further away, but Queen's Village is cheaper and is pretty hip (for Philly).  It's near lots of fun South Street nightspots and good record stores.... I'm still primarily looking in Rittenhouse, but a good spot over that way might persuade me.

Towlie

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2006, 01:46:33 PM »

Craig's List isn't working?  When are you planning on moving?  If it's not until August, you've still got plenty of time.  I'm probably doing a visit in mid-late May, so I'll let you know if I see any cute non-dog friendly places  ;).    

It's a bit further away, but Queen's Village is cheaper and is pretty hip (for Philly).  It's near lots of fun South Street nightspots and good record stores.... I'm still primarily looking in Rittenhouse, but a good spot over that way might persuade me.

Craigslist is okay but, like you said, it's early. I have a call into a real estate agency that is going to call me May 1st and let me know what's open in August. I guess I'm a little OCD about having a place to live.. but can you blame me?! lol

I'm really excited about starting at Penn but will be even more so once I have a floor to sleep on  :D

Towlie

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2006, 01:49:53 PM »
For anyone who's interested, I've been emailing today with a friend of a friend who is a 2L at Penn law now, and here are some highlights of what she had to say. in case anyone is interested  ;)

"As far as law school prep, the best advice i got was to read "law school confidenital" - it was actually written by a guy who went to penn law but is general advice for any school.  He gives you a general plan for studying, etc. which i thought was helpful because i really didn't know what to do with all the different commercial outlines and E&Es and it's nice to have someone say, "here's a good place to start."  I think the book is about $11 and won't take you long to read the relevant parts.  I know a few people who have taken the week long prep courses, and some say they help and some say they didn't make much of a difference.  I think it's more if you have the time/money/interest to spend a week doing a prep course.  LEEWS is geared towards actually taking your exams - how to write a good essay, spot issues, etc.  I took it, as did some of my friends - most of us finished top 10% at our various schools.  However, i'm not convinced its because of LEEWS - there is something to be said for the selection effect of people who will spend a saturday at a seminar like that.  For the $100 though, i don't think it can hurt you, and when compared to tuition, it's a deal if it makes even a little difference in your grades.  I know they have those during the school year though so you don't have to decide yet.  

"I wouldn't do much besides read law school confidential or take a prep course though - i think the most important thing is to come into classes fresh and ready to work hard and learn - they are going to teach you everything you need to do well in class.  Are you working right up until you leave?  That said, E&E is a LIFE SAVER when something is confusing and i'm sure youll be using them often first year, so keep it handy :)  In the end, law school is not as stressful as everyone says, you just have to keep your head on straight and i think coming into it with the right mind set is important.  People who show up already burnt out and stressed have it very rough.    

"Lots of first years here get law firm jobs - i'm not sure the percentage but it's a decent amount.  I know some working in NYC and Philly this coming up summer so i'm not sure how 1L hiring is in Boston, but Career services will definitly help you out with whatever you need :) I'm spliting this summer between the DC and Boston offices of Wilmer, Cutler, Pickering, Hale and Dorr (such a mouthful)."

Thanks goodgal!