Law School Discussion

« on: April 06, 2006, 05:20:14 PM »

Re: early applications
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 12:13:49 PM »
I assume you'll want to do e-apps with LSAC.  This years applications won't come down until June or July.  Next years apps will be posted in August.  They won't do any transmitting until September.  Most schools don't want to receive an app before September 15.  This of course varies by school.

Regardless of when you send it, most schools don't start looking at applications until November, December, or even later.  However, when they do start, they usually start with the applications that came in earlier--so it is still to your advantage to submit early.

The only potential downside to submitting uber-early as a borderline candidate is that if they don't admit you, they'll probably "hold" or "defer" you until much later in the year and you will then be at a disadvantage.

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 12:43:17 PM »
I second what the above poster said... I sent in my materials to a school in September, they received my LSAT score in October, and I just found out yesterday about the decision... via email. Didn't get in.

If the school's a target school and you apply early, they might push you aside until they get more of their applicant pool. And if they found reasons to put you in the "not so sure" pile, they weren't that excited. When they bring you back up, they'll try to remember why they put you aside -- which might mean they'll remember what they didn't like.

I'm extremely happy with where I am going, and I applied there at the end of November -- going complete Mid-December. I heard back in about 2 months time-frame from them.

I suggest applying in the November-December time frame. Applying on September 15th seemed to give them too much to find wrong in your application, especially if you're a target candidate with their median scores.. because they're going to want to wait and compare you to the rest of the applicant pool that will generally have the same scores, but will see if they have different "soft factors" that are better.

Does that make sense? So apply early... just not too early.

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2006, 01:27:44 PM »
What about applying early action? Yay or nay?

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2006, 01:55:30 PM »

Same caveats apply.  Schools generally admit autoadmits, ding autodings, and "defer" everyone else until the end of the cycle.

Again, it is still better to apply early.  But this might happen.

(Note that Early Decision is probably a  bad idea, as you are generally not more likely to get in but are less likely to get a good financial aid offer)

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2006, 01:59:38 PM »

Same caveats apply.  Schools generally admit autoadmits, ding autodings, and "defer" everyone else until the end of the cycle.

Again, it is still better to apply early.  But this might happen.

(Note that Early Decision is probably a  bad idea, as you are generally not more likely to get in but are less likely to get a good financial aid offer)

Thanks...and I definitely am not applying ED...but I was under the impression that it was best to do EA if given the opportunity?  I guess not then...hmm

skeeball

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2006, 02:18:42 PM »
Yes but what if you're in a situation where you need to know SOON so that your spouse or significant other can start looking for a job in the city (or else have to defer...)

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2006, 11:19:23 AM »
Yes but what if you're in a situation where you need to know SOON so that your spouse or significant other can start looking for a job in the city (or else have to defer...)

Neither EA nor ED guarantee you an early decision.  Well, they do, but that decision is usually "We've decided to give you a very late decision."  Getting deferred delays you actually finding out... and you're more likely to get deferred as EA/ED.  A lot of people DO get real decisions, but you just need to be aware of this.

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2006, 02:32:43 PM »
In short,I agree with the above posters...

My personal experience is that applying early is not beneficial to the applicant because if you are a sure thing, you will still be a sure thing if you apply later. If you are a borderline, you will likely get deferred to the bottom of the pile which means very few seats and even LESS of a chance to get in... and lastly, if you are an autoding, it seems like schools won't outright ding you...they defer, then ding... so all in all, it appears as though the only benefit is getting into your safeties a little quicker.

I think December is the optimal month to get your apps in...early enough of the regular decision applicants, but past the EA app deadlines...

At least, if I had it to do all over again, that is what I would have done.