Law School Discussion

« on: April 06, 2006, 04:57:22 PM »

Re: holding my spot...
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 06:30:54 PM »
Some law schools will allow you to defer admission for a year assuming you have what they would consider to be a good reason for requesting a deferrment. No school will defer a scholarship offer for a year, they will simply offer the money to another student who plans to attend that year. To be honest I doubt that most schools would consider your reason to be one worthy of forbearance.

smiley

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 05:55:59 AM »
On Penn's website under the FAQ section (I think, it's been a long time since I read it), I remember seeing the issue of deferring for a year for financial reasons. I think this was more like if you were offered admission and then somehow couldn't secure a private educational loan to cover the rest because of your credit or lack of a co-signer or something like that. They said something to the effect of "some people defer a year to improve their financial situation because it's best to go in with no previous debts." If your situation isn't the result of not being able to pay the tuition through loans, then I don't think that would be as compelling a reason. There was another thread here that gave a link to Deloggio(?) where she asked reps from the schools at the law school forums how they treat deferral requests. You could do a search for it or maybe someone else has it readily available. It lists almost all the schools and whether they are liberal, moderate, or conservative with their deferrals and what criteria they use to decide.

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2006, 12:21:44 PM »
There was another thread here that gave a link to Deloggio(?) where she asked reps from the schools at the law school forums how they treat deferral requests.

http://www.deloggio.com/hearing/deferral.htm

Note that most viewbooks and websites list the most current info for each school.

smiley

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2006, 01:35:30 PM »
There was another thread here that gave a link to Deloggio(?) where she asked reps from the schools at the law school forums how they treat deferral requests.

http://www.deloggio.com/hearing/deferral.htm

Note that most viewbooks and websites list the most current info for each school.

That was the one I was thinking of! Thanks!