Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: so what IS a good PS topic  (Read 3081 times)

Hrothgar

• View Profile
Re: so what IS a good PS topic
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2004, 11:46:50 AM »
Well it can matter alot, especially if you are in the middle of the pack in terms of scores and such, because then they're looking for some way to determine who to take.
For you Maryanne, with your GPA, test scores and UG - it probably won't matter very much, you're right.
you will hardly know who i am or what i mean....

Maryanne007

• Sr. Citizen
  • GPA: 3.74 LSAT: 176 UG: Harvard
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2004, 12:33:49 PM »
I guess thats true for those in the middle of the pack, (which i probably am for the schools I want to go to).  But I guess it just seems somewhat hard to "grade/rank" people on their personal statement.  Obviously grammar and stuff matters, but it just seems so subjective (obviously).  I dont know, this whole process is killing me!!  :)

mukhia

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2004, 12:41:59 PM »
you said you love college football in the south, where you from? all my friends go to UVA  YAY!! , VA Tech, BOO!!!

My friend's PS centred around how she was just reading leisurely one day when for no particular reason, she just sat up and said, "I'm going to go to law school.  That's it."  She talked about how her parents had been very young when she was born and how they instilled passion and independence in her through an experimental approach to child-rearing involving a slew of bad puns and an avid desire to learn about everything she possibly could.  No hardship, no cultural, racial, or socio-economic dissonance, no BS about wanting to save the world - just a bunch of interesting snippets about what it was like to grow up in a household of free-thinkers who like to eat oranges and make monkey faces in a science lab.  She had a 3.0 (from NW), and a 170 and was accepted to William and Mary, Georgetown, NW, and wait-listed at NYU.  The NYU admissions person complimented her tremendously on her PS. 

dgatl

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2004, 12:47:04 PM »
my friend wrote a kick-ass PS about his experiences as a volunteer firefighter