Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: so what IS a good PS topic  (Read 2966 times)

mkagan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: so what IS a good PS topic
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2004, 04:06:42 PM »
you said you love college football in the south, where you from? all my friends go to UVA, VA Tech, or Ga Tech so i get to hear them bragging about college games all the time while i am stuck at a stupid small school up north with no football team.

i feeel that same way as you. so i decided to write about my passion for film. it isnt a gripping story, but it explains the biggest interest in my life, giving adcomms a little something about myself. they can see that i took a lot of film classes, but i want them to see how much more film is to me than that. sounds dumb, but it is better than making up some crap about how mommy didnt love me.

It's so funny you say that b/c I have been thinking about writing about my passion for college football. I know it may sound trivial but it is something I really enjoy and care about. And one of the reasons I am going to law school is b/c I want to find that passion in an occupation, like I have found in in a hobby. It has also been a contant in my life, since I moved A LOT. It also kind of effects WHERE I want to go to school b/c I love th college town vibe, especially during football season, especially in the south. But I am afraid they will not think I am taking this seriously or that I am not a serious student, though my #s reflect otherwise. But I HAVE read that ADCOMS want to feel like they really got to know the student as a person from their statements, like a written interview. I feel like a statement like that would really allow me to express true self (cheesy I know.)
I think pickles are cucumbers that sold out. They sold their soul to the devil, and the devil is dill...

Nole

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Noles!
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - nolegirl290@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2004, 09:04:00 AM »
I grew up all over the south but I was born and raised a GA Bulldawg fan. The I went to FSU and I am now a die hard Nole fan. I could not survive at a school with no football team. I know law school is a busy time, but there is always time for college football! ;D
Tony:"So your not gonna go to law school? What do you wanna do then?"
Mike:"I wanna dance!"

nathanielmark

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2004, 09:58:22 AM »
Bull!

I grew up all over the south but I was born and raised a GA Bulldawg fan. The I went to FSU and I am now a die hard Nole fan. I could not survive at a school with no football team. I know law school is a busy time, but there is always time for college football! ;D

dgatl

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2004, 10:01:34 AM »

I think your smartest move will be to move again and become a die hard Gator fan.  God i'm gonna miss football season.

Nole

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Noles!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2004, 11:21:15 AM »

I think your smartest move will be to move again and become a die hard Gator fan.  God i'm gonna miss football season.

Me too. Especially the yearly kicking of Gator ass. But thats why god made ESPN.

lime

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2004, 01:47:54 PM »
Nope, should have stuck with the Dawgs, my alma mater :)

I think there is some really sound general advice on PS topics here. A recap: Try to avoid subjects where you do not have immediate personal experience or control. Pick a story where you can illustrate your most positive attributes, like your work ethic and intellectual curiosity. Above all else, be genuine.

lexylit

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2004, 02:55:23 PM »
haha. according to montauk mine is the PS about nothing. you know, like a seinfeld episode  :D

Nole

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Noles!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2004, 03:02:11 PM »
but hey, i'd much rather watch Seinfeld than some Lifetime movie and i bet the ADCOMs would too. Sob stories are a dime a dozen but humor and realism are refreshing.

DouperLou

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2004, 02:58:35 PM »
Live to 38 and you will have plenty of stuff to write about. Its not a question of finding an experience to write about, the question for me is which one.

-lou

Maryanne007

• Sr. Citizen
  • GPA: 3.74 LSAT: 176 UG: Harvard
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2004, 11:32:25 AM »
i dont think sob stories really are a dime a dozen unless people are just making up crap.  i dont know, when i look at my friends and classmates, they all came from nice backgrounds, with no hardships.  so for those who didnt have it so lucky, i dont think it is a cop out.  the key is just to do it effectively... and of course the adcomms have heard it all before, but honestly, i dont even know if the ps matters that much.  i was just thinking about my undergrad interviews...and how nervous and prepared i was for those, and how little they probably mattered.

oh well, good luck everyone.  :)