Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Should I have lots of ECs or should I just focus on one of two?  (Read 2474 times)

athena_epoch

• View Profile
    • Email
I'm going to start university this fall. so just want to get some advice from you guys.
should I try everything in university (music, sports, newspaper, bla...)or should i just focus on one or two and do them really well?
I want to give everything a try, because i like lots of these activities. but it sounds like a waste of time to do lots of things. plus i'm very likely to study engineering, i think i really need lots of time to study,
really don't know how to plan? what do you guys think
thanks

orky13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Legally Blonde
    • View Profile
Re: Should I have lots of ECs or should I just focus on one of two?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 11:09:55 PM »
Start with whatever interests you, and then refine it when you discover the things you like most and what you are willing to sacrifice for them. But keep school #1, trust me :)
It comes to this: Cleveland Marshall, Lewis & Clark
Waitlisted: Case

thelynifer

• Sr. Citizen
  • It's not as easy as it looks.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - LYN581
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 12:02:03 AM »
In your freshman year I would try to go to as many events/meetings for different organizations as you can until you figure out what really interests you. By the end of the fall semester have it narrowed down to just a few things, because grades are the most important by far.

ECs are great to have for law school, but MUCH greater if you have leadership positions in them. That being said, its better to get heavily invovled with 1 or 2 or maybe 3 orgs. as opposed to moderately/lightly invovled with 4+

I hope that helps!

bvrlvr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 12:09:47 AM »
I studied engineering in college, and I participated in 3 intercollegiate sports as well as part time jobs and other ECs. As a result, my GPA suffered, but I feel i did alright in regards to admissions.

My advice: Do what you love. I do not at all regret spending so much time with ECs. But dont do it for the sake of doing ECs. If you have a passion, follow it. If not, dont do it. I wouldn't not participate if you are worried so much about grades. Happiness is important as well. Pay more attention to your LSATs. If I could do one thing differently, I would have studied for my LSATs.

good luck :)

Sweet Tea

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 12:29:12 AM »
Also remember that once you get to a leadership position in one or two organizations, you can organization hop to leadership positions that are chosen through applications.  Make sure you do an interesting internship, study abroad, research project every summer.

However although I do not regret doing 40 hours a week on an internship and a leadership position last semester and the semester before that because of my own personal development...

Bear in mind that GPA and LSAT are the two biggest factors.  For law applications, my having an awesome resume is not as good as if I had a good resume and 4 more points on the LSAT or a .1 more for GPA.

Do what makes you happy -- but if getting in to Harvard is what makes you happy, then GPA and LSAT come first. 
Attending The George Washington University School of Law, class of 2009 :)

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=BenFolds5

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2006, 02:06:40 AM »
focus on grades first; regarding EC's, you are better off taking a higher role in 1 or 2 organizations.
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.

athena_epoch

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2006, 04:36:59 PM »
thanks for the replys.
i'm surely going to enjoy my university life and try my best.

gogiants

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2006, 05:35:35 PM »
i am probably not the best person to give you advice on the subject of ec's because i didnt really participate in much in college.  then again, maybe i am the right person to give you advice.  do ec's because you enjoy them, not because they might help you get into law school... they won't.  they could, in some situations, make the difference between you and another candidate with the same numbers, but overall, it is those numbers that matter more than anything.  further, not to scare you, but your gpa doesn't even matter all that much, your law school fate is going to rest, for the most part, on that one special day that you take the lsat.  don't get me wrong, you are not going to get into a great school with a bad gpa, unless you do very well on the lsat, however, you WILL NOT get into a great school with a 4.0 and a subpar (par=165 or so) lsat.  back to the point, do ec's because you enjoy them, not because they might help you get into law school.

CuteCUTigerr

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2006, 11:48:52 PM »
LOL :)  I held offices in three organizations simultaneously, did ethics bowl (which required meetings two times a week for about three hours at a time), maintained a 4.0 in acocunting, and went to the gym for about an hour everyday.  Plus, I participated in about 5 other clubs on a regular basis at the same time.  Did I also mention I finished in three years? 

However, I spent a LOT of time that semester in tears because I was always overwhelmed by everything.  I would recommend picking a couple of things that really interest you and really pouring your heart and soul into those things.  And don't forget that a large part of college is about having a great time and making awesome friends.  That semester, I can't remember a single occasion where I had any fun.  Basically, don't make the same mistakes I did and make it so you can't do anything you want to do.  It's not all about making the perfect law school application. 

athena_epoch

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2006, 05:45:40 PM »
LOL :)  I held offices in three organizations simultaneously, did ethics bowl (which required meetings two times a week for about three hours at a time), maintained a 4.0 in acocunting, and went to the gym for about an hour everyday.  Plus, I participated in about 5 other clubs on a regular basis at the same time.  Did I also mention I finished in three years? 

However, I spent a LOT of time that semester in tears because I was always overwhelmed by everything.  I would recommend picking a couple of things that really interest you and really pouring your heart and soul into those things.  And don't forget that a large part of college is about having a great time and making awesome friends.  That semester, I can't remember a single occasion where I had any fun.  Basically, don't make the same mistakes I did and make it so you can't do anything you want to do.  It's not all about making the perfect law school application. 

So where did you end up going to?