Law School Discussion

When does Vista come out?

shae

• View Profile
When does Vista come out?
« on: April 05, 2006, 06:16:15 PM »
I want to wait to buy a laptop until after Vista is released so it will come preinstalled; anyone know a release date?

krumanadi

Re: When does Vista come out?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 06:18:00 PM »
I want to wait to buy a laptop until after Vista is released so it will come preinstalled; anyone know a release date?

This fall I think?.. You can get a laptop with 256mb video card and it will run vista once it comes out.

Fidelio

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 06:18:46 PM »
What is Vista?

shae

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 06:21:53 PM »
What is Vista?

the new windows OS

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 06:22:32 PM »
Vista is the next generation of Windows. It's currently in Beta.

Microsoft recently announced that the release date has slipped to January of next year. They haven't been tremendously good at reaching their deadlines, so i'd expect it around this time next year at the earliest.

Fidelio

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006, 06:25:54 PM »
You folks know the minimum requirements to run Vista? 

EDIT : NEVERMIND, found it via google..

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2006, 06:27:51 PM »
Microsoft hasn't announced them yet. I'm not on the beta, so I don't know what the beta guidelines are.

"V"

• Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2006, 06:29:51 PM »
Vista is the next step to losing total control of our computers. Built in copy protections, built in monitoring, built in system checks and auto/updates. Just Windows XP, but MORE RABID!

/end conspiracy nut rant

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2006, 08:59:12 AM »
Vista used to be planned for an October 2006 release or so.  About 1 month ago, this was pushed back to a January 2007 release.

I was also hoping to wait till Vista came out to get a laptop, but January 2007 is much too long of a wait, since I don't have a laptop already.  WinXP will be just fine through Law School.  Microsoft states on their website that they support old operating systems for five years once the new one comes out.

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2006, 05:57:33 PM »
I don't know that I would recommend waiting for Vista in any event.

It has generally been true that every major windows release has been accompannied by (a) problems with drivers being unreliable, (b) software incompatibilities (in which software written for old versions of windows don't work with the new version), and (c) major UI changes that take a fair amount of time to get used to.

(A) is usually fixed after a couple of months, as all of the driver manufacturers have a major interest in doing so. (B) is often never fixed. (C) is merely annoying.

But do you want to be dealing with any of these during your first year as a law student? Being on the software bleeding edge is annoying enough when you're a software guy; I imagine it would be infuriating if you weren't. :)