Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hasidic Jews riot in Brooklyn  (Read 4272 times)

Fidelio

Hasidic Jews riot in Brooklyn
« on: April 05, 2006, 10:28:37 AM »
Now I am all for a peaceful protesting but this is ridiculous.

The Hassidic Jews of Borough Park flipped Brooklyn upside down last night after one of their elders was caught talking on a cell phone while driving. 

The man was subsequently taken to the stationhouse because he became belligerent and refused to cooperate. 

What happened next?

Hundreds of Hasidic Jews swarmed the neighborhood, rioting and starting fires in the streets, even torching a Police Car.  When the dust settled two Officers were injured in the mayhem. 

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1143498802998&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull

There are scores of tickets issued in New York, not only in Borough Park Brooklyn but EVERYWHERE in New York, and yes quiet often even to the elderly. 

Do they expect some sorta preferential treatment?

Fidelio

Re: Hasidic Jews riot in Brooklyn
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 01:20:34 PM »
You really don't like Jews do you?

I don't have a problem with Jewish people.  This news content is in many New York Papers as well. 

SuicideNixon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 01:24:36 PM »

The Hassidic Jews of Borough Park flipped Brooklyn upside down last night after one of their elders was caught talking on a cell phone while driving. 

The man was subsequently taken to the stationhouse because he became belligerent and refused to cooperate. 

What happened next?

Hundreds of Hasidic Jews swarmed the neighborhood, rioting and starting fires in the streets, even torching a Police Car.  When the dust settled two Officers were injured in the mayhem. 

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1143498802998&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull

There are scores of tickets issued in New York, not only in Borough Park Brooklyn but EVERYWHERE in New York, and yes quiet often even to the elderly. 

he was supposedly treated roughly for no reason, and he was also deaf
When a President does it, that means that it is not illegal. -Richard Nixon

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=SuicideNixon

Fidelio

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 01:26:00 PM »

What happened next?

he was supposedly treated roughly for no reason, and he was also deaf

I didn't know how good deaf people could use cell phones.

Fidelio

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 01:30:28 PM »
Still constitutes usage of cell phone (if brought near the facial area - I may be mistaken here though). 

SuicideNixon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006, 01:31:33 PM »
Stil constitutes usage of cell phone. 

he wasn't arrested for using a cell phone. He was arrested for not moving out of the way when a police car was behind him: he couldn't hear the police car
When a President does it, that means that it is not illegal. -Richard Nixon

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=SuicideNixon

Fidelio

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2006, 01:45:43 PM »

where did this come from?

That is what I am thinking. 

Fidelio

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2006, 01:50:56 PM »

It seems to me that he/she is often making anti-Israel or anti-Jewish posts.

There are Jewish groups that are against the Israeli government.   Does that mean they don't like Jews? That is a weak assumption your making.

Also last time I checked this is a News Discussion.  This was all over many New York papers.

nmb238

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2006, 02:00:59 PM »
i dont think it matters why this man was arrested - he also didnt have a license or a registration on him from what i heard on the radio this morning

but its irrelevant- you hire a lawyer. you dont burn *&^% in the street. you dont allow a riot to happen bec something not nice happened to one of your own. if the black community rioted every time a police officer was insensitive to a suspect...

its an extremist response to nothing. im not sure why its really news- extremists can do that sometimes. i think ultra Orthodox extremists are the best kind, because they mind their own business, enjoy being left alone to do as they please, and arent looking to make anyone else in any way religiously like them.

but that doesnt excuse their immature reaction to such a non big deal. im jewish. i consider myself pretty reliigously inclined. i dont identify w these people at all and think the mayor/NYPD should stand up to this insanity.

i dont think deaf people can drive. i dont think the original poster dislikes jews. i have no proof for either of those guesses.

~n
NYU06
PennLaw09

RIP Admissions Cycle
11.22.05 - 5.22.06

Fidelio

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2006, 02:03:18 PM »

It seems to me that he/she is often making anti-Israel or anti-Jewish posts.

There are Jewish groups that are against the Israeli government.   Does that mean they don't like Jews? That is a weak assumption your making.

Also last time I checked this is a News Discussion.  This was all over many New York papers.

I understand.  It's not based on this one post.  Also, I don't really care either way.  I just made an observation and then asked a question.  BTW, I wouldn't say the posts are overtly anti-semitic.

I think some of the coolest and nicest people I have met in my life were Jewish.  I believe there was a discussion about a month ago about the Israeli government and how some LSDers felt towards them, I myself am not a big fan of the Likud party,  I think they are just too hawkish for any peace process to even begin, (I would like to see Amir Peretz given a chance)..

In any event, I most probably have semitic blood in me as well.

;)