Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Georgetown people-- where are you going to live?  (Read 4434 times)

andyg

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Georgetown people-- where are you going to live?
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2006, 02:35:12 PM »
Ok, in case anyone was wondering, I went over to MassCourt yesterday to check the place out. It is very nice, but VERY expensive, I honestly don't know how law students can afford to live there. You either need to come from a well-off background, or be willing to take out more loans. The only way that this could work is if you have 2 people split the one bedroom, with one person taking the bedroom and one person in the living room. That is obvioulsy not ideal, as the living room is in the same "room" as the kitchen.

Here is a run-down of the prices:

Studio starting at $1493
1BR starting at $1564
2BR starting at $2409

Parking is $175/month.  It is a great building, right across the street from the law school with a bunch of amenities (but do we really need the apt's fitness room when the law school just built that fancy new one?). That entire area is totally changed from what it was only a few years ago...there are 3 new condos being built right now. When I am a 2L I might live in another area of the city, but considering how stressful the 1L year is supposed to be, I think proximity is very important - why deal with the hassel of commuting on top of everything else we have to worry about. The other apt buildings in that area are probably going to be around the same price level, I am going to try to check out another one today.
Georgetown 2009!

andyg

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2006, 11:14:49 PM »
Yesterday I visited another property very close to Gallery Place, called Meridian. Apparently it is another building were law students live. Very good location. Also very nice, yet another brand new building, great facilities.

Very expensive as well:

The studio is $1615, and the 1BR is $1890 (!) a month.

However, it is better than MassCourt in one key aspect. The one bedrooms are big and have an extra "sunroom" where you can put a bed. The woman there said that alot of people use that to share the one bedroom. If 2 people share the one bedroom, than the rent goes down to 900 a month which is alot closer to reality. So to me, mass court is out of the question, but this building is at least a possibilty because of the way that one bedroom can be shared.

Let me know if you have any questions!
Georgetown 2009!

Goodfella Aaron

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2006, 11:26:23 PM »
If you guys want to live in the other direction away from GULC I'd check out Capitol Hill. You might have to wake up a little earlier but it's only a 10-15 minute commute depending on where you live. It's a great neighborhood, I wouldn't mind living there once I'm an attorney, and if you can find one of those massive townhouses and a bunch of people to live there it's pretty cheap.

GULC1L

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2006, 08:48:56 AM »
andyg- thanks for going to look at this stuff

how do you think the noise at the meridian would compare to masscourt, seeing as how it's more in the midst of the MCI-center area?

I wish I could just move down now.

andyg

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2006, 09:38:44 AM »
andyg- thanks for going to look at this stuff

how do you think the noise at the meridian would compare to masscourt, seeing as how it's more in the midst of the MCI-center area?

I wish I could just move down now.

Noise would be about the same, they are only a few blocks away from each other. There is construction going around all over there, but the people i know who live there said they weren't really bothered by noise. 
Georgetown 2009!

Lily Jaye

• Sr. Citizen
  • A Schizophrenic Veronica
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2006, 09:05:10 PM »
I wish I had something valuable to say, but I don't, so "tag."
Random 2L who does not spend nearly as much time here as she should.

The Spanish Teacher

• It's been so long....
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2006, 10:54:46 PM »
my fiancee and i were set on an apartment in the logan circle/thomas circle part of town (just 10 blocks from campus), but the move in date was a little too late for us. and, 13th and mass (where the apartment was) didn't really have much of a neighborhood feel, not that that will matter much to me since i'll be at the library studying most of the time. 
anyway, today we got word about an apartment that we applied for in adams morgan.  my fiancee is moving into the apartment in a few weeks. i'll join her after the wedding in july. there is a bus that goes directly to gulc from 18th and columbia (the 96 bus) and then there is the 42 bus that goes to du pont where you can get on the red line. it's a little removed from campus, but that can be a good thing too (at least that's what i'm telling myself).
Attending GULC in Fall '06

Goodfella Aaron

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2006, 10:58:35 PM »
A word of caution for those of you living in places that require waiting for the Metrobus: some of the routes are highly unreliable. I'd try to check out with people at the school which routes can be counted on the most.

But the Metro is pretty good, it's been slipping in recent years but back in my commuting days I'd be delayed considerably by the Metro maybe once every 15 or 20 trips.

andyg

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2006, 11:44:34 PM »
yeah adams morgan is a great area, but it can be a pain to get to at times (i have stumbled home over that bridge many times).
Georgetown 2009!

omake_don

• i'm going to law school, but i'd rather be a ninja
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2006, 05:44:23 AM »
i've been looking for some martial arts training places within 15min of the school. anyone know anything?
i'm spicy in that non-offensive and mysterious way that all the ladies.. SHUT YOUR MOUTH!