Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Georgetown people-- where are you going to live?  (Read 4558 times)

GULC1L

• View Profile
Georgetown people-- where are you going to live?
« on: April 05, 2006, 08:25:31 AM »
I have heard good things about this new building right near the campus-- MassCourt.  It looks really nice and new, has a pool, w/d in the units and stuff.   It looks like a nice convenient place to live

any thoughts/other places to look?

The Spanish Teacher

• It's been so long....
    • View Profile
Re: Georgetown people-- where are you going to live?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 12:07:20 PM »
I have a friend who lives in Mass Court.  he seems to really like.  The kitchens are amazing - granite counter tops, awesome new appliances.  As far as ammenities, it seems to be a great place.  but you might want to check out www.apartmentratings.com and go to DC and look up Mass COurt.  i'm pretty sure there are a couple of scathing reviews of the place.  also, it's expensive unless you have a roommate or two.  but Mass Court's convenience can only be beat by the dorm on campus. With all of the new condos and apartment buildings going up in Gallery PLace, it's getting to be a pretty expensive part of town.

as for where i'm living - my fiancee and i are currently looking. we've been checking out craigslist and the washington city paper classifieds. We really like the Logan Circle area and there are a few apartments in the Thomas Cirlce area that are both convenient and affordable.  there are quite a few useful links on the housing website that you can access from the admitted students website.
Attending GULC in Fall '06

andyg

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 10:33:23 PM »
How do people feel about living in the on-campus "dorm" Gewirz? The obvious big advantage is that you are so close to class.

Masscourt seems really nice, but almost too nice...I wonder how much it costs. For convience sake, i would definitley want to live somewhere around gallery place though.
Georgetown 2009!

GULC1L

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 08:21:28 AM »
The prices i've gotten, are about 1600 for a 1 bedroom, and about 2000-2200 for a 2 bedrooom.

Pretty expensive, but might be worth it to have a pretty much hassle free residence 5 minutes from the school.  I like the idea of a big, new building rather than an older rowhouse with spotty upkeep. 

As far as living in Gewirz, while you can't beat the convenience, I just don't think I want to do the college-dorm thing again.  I know it has private bedrooms and everything, but it's still a dorm--- and I also want to be able to get away from school, even if it's only five minutes away.

As far as the scathing ratings on apartmentratings.com, it looks like there were some problems at the beginning, but looks like they've been mostly cleared up.

andyg

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 09:45:21 AM »
As far as the scathing ratings on apartmentratings.com, it looks like there were some problems at the beginning, but looks like they've been mostly cleared up.

Yeah the people who i know that live there don't seem to have those problems anymore. there also might be a social aspect to living in the dorm that wouldnt be the case living in another building.
Georgetown 2009!

justGem

• Sr. Citizen
  • Let them eat cake!
    • View Profile
    • when i need a laugh
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2006, 03:46:28 PM »
I'm going to live in College Park, MD....where I am now  ;D

dividebyzero

• Sr. Citizen
  • Motherf*ckin' Snakes On A Plane!
    • MSN Messenger - daedelus_rex@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2006, 04:06:46 PM »
I'm planning on moving to Alexandria or Arlington, and if not there, then I *guess* I'll live in the city.

D.C. is expensive as hell, not just in entertainment/food/etc costs (which I don't have a problem with), but with other basics such as vehicle insurance and registration, taxes, fines (which I have a HUGE problem with  >:()
"Remove the chain, cause' that's off it!"

Acceptances: Georgetown ("off da' chain!")
That is all...

sje55

• AOL Instant Messenger - Sarah5500
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2006, 06:51:20 PM »
Maybe I'm taking the easy way out, but I'm applying for on-campus housing...I spoke to several students about it, all have given positive reviews.  Can't beat the location, facilities are fairly new and clean, and a reasonably good deal for the neighborhood.

Then again, I am going to GULC right from undergrad, so it'll be a bit easier for me to return to dorm-style living...

andyg

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2006, 10:14:34 PM »
Maybe I'm taking the easy way out, but I'm applying for on-campus housing...I spoke to several students about it, all have given positive reviews.  Can't beat the location, facilities are fairly new and clean, and a reasonably good deal for the neighborhood.

Then again, I am going to GULC right from undergrad, so it'll be a bit easier for me to return to dorm-style living...

Yeah it does seem a bit less expensive than the other buildings in the area...so if we want proximity, its either on-campus, or paying a ton of money for one of the gallery place buildings. The students who live there seem to like it, and I think it would be a good way to meet other 1Ls.
Georgetown 2009!

omake_don

• i'm going to law school, but i'd rather be a ninja
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2006, 02:05:15 PM »
i'm down with andy G. i think living on campus is a good way to get to know the other 1Ls really well. in UG i lived by myself off campus and i was very curious about the life of the rezrat. and also i think i watched too many episodes of 'undergrads'

+ i don't want to deal with the hassles of apartments, bills, things breaking, etc.

+ lets faces it, who's going to have time to leave campus in 1L anyways?

i'm spicy in that non-offensive and mysterious way that all the ladies.. SHUT YOUR MOUTH!