Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Help Me Compare Gmu, Maryland, Emory, And Richmond  (Read 737 times)

watmon

Help Me Compare Gmu, Maryland, Emory, And Richmond
« on: April 05, 2006, 06:41:36 AM »
im a black student, and i want to know which law school has the best quality of life, and what the academic setting of these schools are. i hav heard george mason is too conservative, so naturally, as a black student im a bit worried. can any1 clarify matters for me , and tell me wat they know about :
univ of maryland
emory
george mason
and richmond

4DClaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Help Me Compare Gmu, Maryland, Emory, And Richmond
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 07:01:28 AM »
None of the schools that you listed are like Regent or Liberty, so politically, I think you could expect a lot of diversity. The only school I can speak to is George Mason, because I recently visited there. The faculty is conservative, but I didn't get the sense that most of the student body was any more conservative or liberal than students at any other law school. Frankly, people go there for three main reasons: 1. it's the highest ranked school they got into, 2. it's near tons of great employment opportunities, or 3. in-state VA tuition.

If you're in at Emory, it makes sense to go there. I've only been to Atlanta a few times and to Emory's campus (as an undergrad) once. I got the sense that it is very diverse. And Atlanta is a great city. But most importantly, Emory is the highest ranked of all the schools you listed.

Georgetown

kmatt

• AOL Instant Messenger - kebbo16
    • View Profile
    • Maryland Law Discussion Board
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 10:49:53 PM »
Just so you know, Maryland consistently ranks in the top 5 of most diverse law schools. It is a particular emphasis of their admissions department.
LSAT: 164, GPA: 3.5, UG: UNC-CH

In: Maryland, Emory, American, Wake
Out: Boston College
WL: Boston U., GW, Fordham, W&M, UNC

Attending: Maryland Law - Class of '09...FEAR THE TURTLE!!

mirror

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 11:02:13 PM »
Just so you know, Maryland consistently ranks in the top 5 of most diverse law schools. It is a particular emphasis of their admissions department.

is it also a priority to have classes in the ghetto?

watmon

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 11:34:00 PM »

is it also a priority to have classes in the ghetto?
HAHAHAA. i heard that the neighbourhood has robberies etc.

is there interacial dating there?

remiz22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2006, 12:19:50 AM »
Emory, without a doubt. It is far superior academically to the other schools mentioned, offers the best career options, and is located in a city that has a very vibrant African-American population.

Tulanegirl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2006, 01:33:10 AM »
I'm not sure about whether or not GMU is politically conservative or not, but I had to attend there last semester (I attenda  New Orleans school) and so couldn't go Fall 05.  George Mason is an incredibly diverse campus however.  Ethnically and Racially there is just about any and every group of students on campus you can look for.  Its also a very tolerant school in that area, from what I've heard about Emory its very similar to Tulane where I attend and its not a particularly diverse or integrated student body.  Richmond I have no idea about but I'm might attend so I'm going to visit next weekend.  Richmond itself is a much more conservative city than DC.  DC at least the younger crowd tends to be pretty liberal.  Employment opportunities in DC are also going to be better, especially then Baltimore (UMD).

jnc18

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2006, 03:17:50 AM »
im a black student, and i want to know which law school has the best quality of life, and what the academic setting of these schools are. i hav heard george mason is too conservative, so naturally, as a black student im a bit worried. can any1 clarify matters for me , and tell me wat they know about :
univ of maryland
emory
george mason
and richmond

If you were white, I'd say Emory would probably be the best best.  Since you're black, I say Emory without any question whatsoever.

And trust me, you can go ahead and scratch Richmond completely.

watmon

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2006, 06:21:44 AM »
univ of maryland
emory
george mason
and richmond

If you were white, I'd say Emory would probably be the best best.  Since you're black, I say Emory without any question whatsoever.

And trust me, you can go ahead and scratch Richmond completely.

HAHAHAHA. Thanks for the advice mate. r the white girls in emory chilled out tho ?

bruinbro

• Sr. Citizen
  • B-Blitz
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2006, 08:26:25 AM »
Emory.
In: Case Western ($$), IU-B ($$), USD ($$), Pitt ($$), Iowa, Wisconsin , George Mason ($), Loyola-LA ($$), UC-Davis, UIUC ($), American, Tulane ($$),GW
Out: Notre Dame,BC,WUSTL,Cornell,W&L