Law School Discussion

Poll

0 (0%)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

likewise

• View Profile
Re: Would you marry a person with the wrong politics?
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2006, 10:22:36 AM »

but most middle to wealthy class parents tend to be Republican... is the law school/democratic association some form of parental rebellion?   :-*

No, lawyers don't turn into republicans until they hit thirty and their yearly income exceeds $125K.

magnumalv

« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2006, 10:24:29 AM »
I thought it was high-minded myself  ;)

Stop winking at me. I don't like you, remember?  :P

nesnut

• Law School is thiiiiiiiis big!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2006, 10:24:32 AM »
eh? what did you say that was so offensive? What did I miss?

i just made an observation that most LS students tend to be Democrats, yet they come from well-off middle class families.  I guess some people took it the wrong way. :-\ 

I'd say that's true. I'd bet most law students come from middle cleass to wealthy families, but are left of center. Law schools are largely liberal, and law school costs a whole lot of money.

I'm curious about just how liberal law schools really are- I hear all the time that law schools are fairly liberal, but the law itself is kind of an "old boy's club" type occupation. This has certainly changed over the years, for sure- just curious as to how much of a difference "liberal law schools" make in the actual ways law is practiced.  also, as the nation swings politically left or right, is it inevitable that higher education might as well?

As for the original topic- I would marry someone who's politics are different than mine, but I think that so much of what we believe politically/economically/socially is personally driven by beliefs about ourselves and the world around us.  Somebody who has such differing views as to directly contradict these philosophies may be difficult for me to form a relationship on an emotional/mental level

likewise

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2006, 10:28:18 AM »

but most middle to wealthy class parents tend to be Republican... is the law school/democratic association some form of parental rebellion?   :-*

No, lawyers don't turn into republicans until they hit thirty and their yearly income exceeds $125K.

It often depends on what you do. Criminal defense, ACLU staff, M&A, have some uniformity in their ranks.

Yeah, the corporate types are and/or turn into repubs.  The ACLU types stick with the winners.

florentino ariza

« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2006, 10:29:59 AM »
i think the main problem with jammers comment was that he made it sound like us liberals had no clue what it was like to be poor because mummy and daddy paid everything for us.

which, for those among us who have been dirt poor, really can irk us.

likewise

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2006, 10:33:58 AM »

It often depends on what you do. Criminal defense, ACLU staff, M&A, have some uniformity in their ranks.

Yeah, the corporate types are and/or turn into repubs.  The ACLU types stick with the winners.

the winners?

The winners.

Steve.jd

• I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2006, 10:35:30 AM »
I'd def marry someone with differing political viewpoints.

You're not marrying a running mate dammit!

Also, this thread is insanely huge considering it was started in the middle of last night, so I'm not reading the whole thing, but I grew up poor, although not anymore, and I vote Republican on ~75% of issues so I don't think growing up poor necessarily makes your views liberal, or growing up rich makes them republican

likewise

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2006, 10:36:49 AM »
Yeah, voting republican doesn't mean you're rich; it just makes you wrong, that's all.  ;)

« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2006, 10:38:23 AM »
I'm a democrat but I guess liberals annoy me more than conservatives. But I would still marry a liberal. I wouldn't marry either Cynthia McKinney or Ann Coulter though

halfjewhalfgoy

« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2006, 10:40:44 AM »
There tends to be more liberal than conservatives in academia because many conservative pursue interests in the private sector.