Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is Part-Time honestly more disadvantageous then Full-Time???  (Read 1178 times)

gordonma

• Sr. Citizen
  • Cheers
    • AOL Instant Messenger - xikillamikeix
    • View Profile
    • Email
Is Part-Time honestly more disadvantageous then Full-Time???
« on: April 05, 2006, 03:02:43 AM »
Like the title suggests, is it really a disadvantage going part-time if you can go full time (for those who dont need to work full time and go to law school.)

I have the chance to go to a school full time and afford it, but i also have a chance to go to a school i like slightly better but can only afford it part-time...

i dont want to make a decision towards full time now influenced by my finances, then regret it for the rest of my life...

is part-time going to have any negative effects whatsoever, aside from having to go an extra year? will i miss out on summer job opportunities? will i be ranked with just the part-timers? will employers look at me differently since I went part-time? will i be able to join organizations and law reviews?

pretty much im asking the age old question of what is the difference between part-time and full-time pro and con wise...

if anyone who could shed some light on my questions i would be greatly appreciative... its coming down to the wire and I need to make a decision and this would help a bunch.

thanks so much everyone and I really appreciate it once again!

-mike
Seton Hall School of Law 1L come the Fall
Lets go Pirates!

june6

Re: Is Part-Time honestly more disadvantageous then Full-Time???
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 09:52:13 AM »
I was wondering the same thing also.  i will be enrolling as part time because i need to work, but circumstances may change, and i would like to know if part time is disadvantageous.  I've heard that it doesnt really make a difference, but people on this board seem to think otherwise.

LawSchoolHopeful2009

• Sr. Citizen
  • make me "beautiful"...make me a perfect lie...
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 10:13:27 AM »
Hey mike,

I thought I would just share with you a post by Matthies that I (and I'm sure many others) thought to be VERY helpful with regard to FT vs. PT. I know this decision is killing you so good luck.  :)

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,47645.msg1079417.html#msg1079417

johnproctor98

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 12:46:54 PM »
I'm sure it depends on the program and its reputation. I have a relative out on the East Coast who did the Georgetown part-time program while he worked as a paralegal or some such thing. I may not even be applying to Georgetown, but after hearing from him about it I checked it out briefly, and their part-time program was basically how their law school got its start and it appears to be very well regarded, just like the full-time program at Georgetown. My relative graduated years ago from Georgetown, not sure how long ago, but he was hired on at a large firm in Virginia, made partner, and is now head of the firm ( = $$$). So, I would not say that Georgetown's night school hampers you in any way, though you may not be able to intern/clerk as early because you will not have taken as many courses.

In: Boalt, Georgetown, NYU
Waiting: Stanford, Columbia, Michigan, University of Washington

LSN

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 02:21:52 PM »
I'm sure it depends on the program and its reputation. I have a relative out on the East Coast who did the Georgetown part-time program while he worked as a paralegal or some such thing. I may not even be applying to Georgetown, but after hearing from him about it I checked it out briefly, and their part-time program was basically how their law school got its start and it appears to be very well regarded, just like the full-time program at Georgetown. My relative graduated years ago from Georgetown, not sure how long ago, but he was hired on at a large firm in Virginia, made partner, and is now head of the firm ( = $$$). So, I would not say that Georgetown's night school hampers you in any way, though you may not be able to intern/clerk as early because you will not have taken as many courses.

I agree with the above.  It depends on the program and the person.  GW also has a fantastic PT program very highly regarded.  PT students are part of the same curve as the FT folks and have the same options for courses.  Many simply go PT bc they have a reason to.  I for one, have law school being paif for by my employer, so I would be a fool to go FT.  Everybody is different.  Figure out what is best for YOU.
Attending GW in Fall '06

Isutrackstar

• AOL Instant Messenger - tashathehooper
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006, 02:37:59 PM »
I would suggest go to school part time then transfer to full time after a year or two. This will allow you to get summer internships.

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2006, 02:56:35 PM »
You can still do associateships as a PT student.  I plan to take a leave of absence from my FT job after my 2L year.
Attending GW in Fall '06

orky13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Legally Blonde
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2006, 10:47:58 PM »
I met with some attorneys and paralegals and had my very own little roundtable in Cleveland (they were from Calfee Harper and Ass. I think, which is probably in the top 5 firms in Cle., brilliant people., I think Harvard grads in a few cases.) They all said if at ALL possible, take out the loans, go full time. Even over having an employer pay ALL your costs and having to go PT (at the time my employer offered those benefits). This was about a year ago when I was trying to determine how best to pursue my legal career. They said do it ASAP. Especially if you are a woman, as time sometimes equals more family and thus more divided attention. They also said, if you are in the Cleveland Market, regardless of actual education, attend in the order set here 1. Case, 2. Cleveland Marshall, 3. Akron. They said Case grads tended to be the 'face' of law offices in the area and command the highest salaries. They said the C-M grads were the ones that did the actual work, better than the Case grads. They basically disregarded Akron.

On the other hand, my grandfather went to Cleveland Marshall part time while working full time as engineer and supporting his family of 4 kids and a stay-at-home wife, and later went on to run B.F. Goodrich in Australia and basically do VERY well for himself.

So if you listen to the legal professionals I talked to, get it over with. If you think you can work like a dog and rise above, go for PT if that works for you. However, it is important to remember that part time is ALMOST full time anyway. You are getting about 20 credits v. 30 and have MUCH less than 1/2 the time to work on it.
It comes to this: Cleveland Marshall, Lewis & Clark
Waitlisted: Case

Isutrackstar

• AOL Instant Messenger - tashathehooper
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2006, 10:57:32 PM »

So if you listen to the legal professionals I talked to, get it over with. If you think you can work like a dog and rise above, go for PT if that works for you. However, it is important to remember that part time is ALMOST full time anyway. You are getting about 20 credits v. 30 and have MUCH less than 1/2 the time to work on it.

It depends on the school as well. For example at U Hou you start in the summer so you only take about 7 credits a semester/ summer. Also as far as grades admissions counselors have told me that in many cases the PT students who work full time are at the top of the class. So I really dont think that PT students are at as much disadvantage as long as you get the grades and have work experience to back as well.

orky13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Legally Blonde
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2006, 11:02:53 PM »
I did undergrad in a weekend format for 3 years, and found my classmates put much more thought into their work than the traditional students I had been used to working along side. Part time students (when also working full time) just don't have time to waste in general, so they tend to be more focused, more intense, and more prepared. Just my experience.
It comes to this: Cleveland Marshall, Lewis & Clark
Waitlisted: Case