Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Chances of making it off WashU-STL WL?  (Read 897 times)

The Government

• View Profile
Chances of making it off WashU-STL WL?
« on: April 04, 2006, 11:01:45 PM »
Got WL notification from Washington University in St. Louis last week.  It has given me far too much hope and was just wondering if anyone could speculate as to my chances of getting accepted off the list.  Only a 3.2 GPA and a 160 LSAT, so I'm below all of their numbers, but still landed on the WL.  What can I do to better my chances?  Any insight is greatly appreciated, I really want to go here.  Thanks!

Sooner

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Chances of making it off WashU-STL WL?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 01:01:58 PM »
I don't think you can better your chances much. Maybe you should send a letter of interest that affirms WUSTL is your number 1 choice. Maybe you could meet with the dean. You really just have to hope that your profile fits a hole that they end up needing to plug in their entering class.

What holes in that class will develop and who else is out there waiting to fill them is all impossible to ascertain. Just rest assured that there are a lot of good numbers people on that waiting list for WUSTL to choose from.

The University of Chicago
The Law School

greengrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 01:53:30 PM »
i hate to second that notion but that's the fate we face on waitlists. you're there to serve the school's needs, not your own. they want to know you're interested only to guage how willing you would be to pick up your whole life and move to st louis at the end of august when a seat opens up. if they are in *need* of someone with your scores or find that their pool suddenly shrinks but their class isn't near full then they will pull us off the bench. it sucks and i completely empathize with you. (different waitlist but same agony). Def send the letter and remain interested but for what it's worth, for my own sanity, I got real excited about the school I've chosen instead and set a realistic cut off in my mind--if I don't hear by July 1st then I will commit completely to aforementioned school and decide to be happy because, hey--that's life.

good luck! and be excited about your other choices. if law is what you **really** want then be excited to start wherever you will be next year

greengrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 04:27:08 PM »
exactly. and this school is certainly my dream school but agonizing over something i have no control over won't change it. be excited for school next year.

however, life without aimless hope and dreams is kind of boring so don't be defeatist--just realistic

Best of luck!!!1

pickles light

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2006, 10:21:15 PM »
Does anyone else think that the Wash U waitlist letter was condescending in its optimism?  I mean, according to LSN they've waitlisted 9X more people than they've rejected.  I thought the bits about "hoping to be able to extend an offer of admission in the near future" and "continue to consider Wash U as your school of choice" were just mean!

Until I saw how many were also listed in LSN, I thought I had a chance.   :-[  Now, I think we're all doomed.

bamboomw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2006, 12:10:55 AM »
Maybe they hope to have 80% of their class from the wait list..............for some absurd reason.haha.............I am also a Washington U. waitlister......160 LSAT, 3.81 GPA......me wants to go there.....good luck everyone!

japper88

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2006, 03:41:10 PM »
I'd say visit if you can, and meet with an admissions person.

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2006, 03:56:17 PM »
I withdrew from the WL. I really thought I had a good shot of getting in and was rather surprised by the WL (165/3.5). It seems like Wash U weighs the LSAT very heavily though.