Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Florida Coastal School of Law  (Read 4296 times)

planejane

• View Profile
    • Email
Florida Coastal School of Law
« on: January 19, 2004, 10:31:42 AM »
Does anyone have any info on Florida Coastal School of Law?  Is it difficult to get into?  Is it worth the private school tuition?

Any info would be great!

Thanks,
Christie

DonkeySmiler

• Click Profile to change this text.
    • View Profile
Re: Florida Coastal School of Law
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2004, 02:53:11 PM »
I too am interested in any information in regards to FCSL.....

As far as what I know, they are newly accredited school, and are fairly lenient when it comes to acceptance.  My numbers are 153 LSAT, 3.82 GPA.  They offer a generous scholarship that definitely makes up for the private school costs.  I am not sure where I will end up going. I would love to get the hell out of Ohio...... but it would be tough to move away from everything.

planejane

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2004, 04:32:18 PM »
I would definitely accept a scholarship of some sort.  I could also drill at NAS Jacksonville for the Navy right there.  There are also lots of small (2BR/1BA) rental homes in the area too for a reasonable price each month.

If you find out anything, let me know.  I requested a view book from them last week.  If I find out, I will post the info.

Thanks!

P.S. - Sometimes it is good to make a change and move to another state.  Just remember you can travel by train, car, and plane to go home and see family.

DonkeySmiler

• Click Profile to change this text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2004, 05:23:53 PM »
Yeah, definitely post the info.

It is not so much the family aspect, it is the task of finding a new place to live, starting a new school, and finding a new job..... amongst god knows what else. 

planejane

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2004, 07:44:37 PM »
I know.  Been there and done that last year.  However, look at it this way.  How many times have you moved to a new apt or house?  How many times have you started a new job?  If/When you go to law school, you will be starting a new job.  This way by moving to Florida, you get the joy of doing this all at one time.  Believe it or not, it is not that bad at all - doing all this at one time.

Good Luck and may be I will see you there!

Shepster

• I hate the law that's why I love law school!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2004, 07:11:32 PM »
I just started my second semester at Fl Coastal.  I'm impressed with most of the profs but disappointed with the buildings/facilities (their suppose to be moving to a new building in Fall 2005).  Jacksonville is a lot warmer then Ohio, but it's no Miami.  Admission is relatively easy right now, but rumor has it that is quickly changing.  Considering some of the students around me (quality and quantity) and new professors, I believe it.  For me, I'm looking to transfer to a school in NYC or at least the NE where I plan to work.  (I would not mind staying at FCSL for 3 years but believe it's important to go to school where you plan to work -- also I would like to go to a liberal school).  Anyone know of the most liberal law school (if there is one...)???

Good luck!

planejane

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2004, 10:25:32 AM »
Shepster,

What is the homework load like?  Are you staying in apartments nearby or renting a house?  Just trying to get a feeling for the place.  I have pretty much made up my mind about Mercer University and University of Miami (if I can get in); however, I do want to keep my options open.

Shepster

• I hate the law that's why I love law school!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2004, 05:29:52 PM »
Lots and lots and lots and lots of reading -- pretty sure it's the same everywhere.  From what I understand, you read the same text whether you go to Harvard or Joe Smith school of law.  I try and keep up (seems like most people do...) so I spend around 10 - 12 hours a day (including classes) on average (sometimes a lot more, sometimes a lot less.  I try to take one day off a week.

I live in an 1 bdrm apartment ($630) on South Side Blvd which is okay but if I could do it again I would take a little more time looking in the papers and find something closer to the beach (and cheaper).  I thought there would be more students around my area (that's why I chose S Side) but as it turns out there are probably just as many, if not more, by the beach.  If you end up here, you may want to look downtown as I hear this is where the school might be located come fall '05.

I looked at Univ of Miami.  Their campus/facilities are a lot nicer than FCSL.  Unfortunately they were out of my league.  Good luck, let me know if I can answer any other questions.

Shepster

MattMurdock

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2004, 11:19:07 PM »
Here is an interesting story about the school.
(http://www.lawschool.com/coastalsold.htm)

I honestly don't know what to make of the school. I'm somewhat concerned about how the tight job market may discriminate against this school, since it's really young and it is a for profit school. It really shouldn't matter, but employers are making rigid demands these days. Although, it probably depends on what type of employment an individual is seeking, whether you decide to attend. If you already have connections then that would probably create more peace of mind. Also, I've read this article that insinuated that newly accredited schools may have used "conflict of interest" to gain accreditation. They basically implied these schools were buying bar members to influence the accreditation process, serious stuff. It makes me nervous about whether the ABA will revoke their current status.(http://www.lawschool.com/abadeans.htm) There's just so many question marks to me.

planejane

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2004, 02:22:23 PM »
I read that article week before last I believe.  You never know - it may work for them.  Do you attend there Matt?

Christie