Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Kaplan or Princeton Review  (Read 960 times)

JD2BGrl

• View Profile
    • Email
Kaplan or Princeton Review
« on: April 04, 2006, 08:53:20 PM »
For those of you who have taken an LSAT review course.  How helpful was the course and who did you study with?  Thanks in advance for the information.

Pericles

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Kaplan or Princeton Review
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 01:17:21 PM »
Neither. Go with Powerscore or Testmasters as these are pretty much considered the best classes. Kaplan is the McDonald's of test prep-- best advertising, great presentation, terrible content (not to mention that teachers aren't required to make a certain score on the LSAT themselves). I took Powerscore and was thoroughly impressed. My teacher scored a 178, my class had a mere 8 people and we learned as much as one could possibly expect. Cheers.

MustangAlum

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 02:42:43 PM »
Go with TestMasters or PowerScore. Instructors have to score in the 99th%.

I took TestMasters (called ScorePerfect in TX) and was really impressed. It was 3 days per week, 4 hours per class. We also had "Jams" (mini-tests) every other week. Took 5 practice-tests, and they gave us 5 or so more online. It's also neat because you can put in your answers to the self-proctored practice tests online and receive your scores instantly.

I also took Princeton Review... and it was horrible, don't take it. I've had friends that did like Kaplan, and then I had friends who hated it. I don't know anyone that took Powerscore or Testmasters and was disapointed.
SMU Undergraduate '05
Univ. of South Carolina Law '09

Who dat?

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 05:05:12 PM »
I took a Kaplan course, and it was a decent experience.  The class seemed to be geared towards people scoring in the low end of the spectrum though, so if you feel like you can presently score above a 155 but want to score a 180, I would recommend going with a different company.

lovelovelovenyc

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 05:53:15 PM »
I took Kaplan and definitely do not recommend it.  I agree with the statement that it may be helpful for low scorers.  i stopped going to my class after three sessions (plus the diagnostic)  because the ridiculous questions people would ask took up the entire session.  Plus on several instances people had to correct the instructor or explain something for her bc she could not answer a question. 

Also, isn't 90% percentile like low-mid 160s?  I would much rather take it from someone I knew scored 170+...go with another company

HairMetalRulz

• its 5 o clock somewhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2006, 06:58:16 PM »
If you're in LA, take a Blueprint course from Trent Teti
161, 3.64.... fingers crossed for something, anything really
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=tfateach

Evolve

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - ekleveland@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Kapuda
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2006, 07:04:47 PM »
My vote goes to Kaplan. They do need to be at least in the 90th percentile to be considered, however most are in the 170s because they tend to give the job to the person with the highest LSAT of all the applicants.

Barnum

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • griffonprep.com
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2006, 12:11:56 PM »
The reason Kaplan has a reputation that there is no minimum score requirement is because they will accept a 90th percentile score on a test you took at their center (in other words it doesn't have to be a 90th percentile score on an actual administered LSAT)  If you could go in and score a 163/164 at their center, you can be invited for an interview. 

michelleinsea

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2006, 02:20:56 PM »
I liked Kaplan when I took it last year.  Our instructor was great.  He scored a 174 and was going to Georgetown.  I don't think that this was necessarily what made him a good teacher, because as it's been mentioned a good score doesn't mean you know how to teach the material.  It was a good experience and while I didn't raise my score as much as I had hoped, which I am sure is only my fault and not theirs, I did improve and I think that my score has helped me get accepted at 11 - 13 schools so far in this cycle.  Without Kaplan and sme score improvement I am sure I would be having a much harder time.  But all that being said, I can't speal for other courses, and they may be just as good or better.  I'm just saying I liked Kaplan and found it helpful enough.  But I also think that like with any class, you only get out what you put in.

2b-lawyer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2006, 05:03:34 PM »
Neither. Go with Powerscore or Testmasters as these are pretty much considered the best classes. Kaplan is the McDonald's of test prep-- best advertising, great presentation, terrible content (not to mention that teachers aren't required to make a certain score on the LSAT themselves). I took Powerscore and was thoroughly impressed. My teacher scored a 178, my class had a mere 8 people and we learned as much as one could possibly expect. Cheers.

Agreed. Kaplan is crap. The course offered little tricks on eliminating bad answer choices for Logical Reasoning and Reasoning Comp, but you don't learn much beyond that. Logic Games techniques were half-way decent, but I taught myself from the materials - instruction was poor, to say the least. Go with TestMasters. I hear good things about it. Kaplan instructors only have to score in the 90th percentile to qualify. TestMasters instructors are required to score in the 99th percentile. It also offers more in class instruction than Kaplan's LSAT (note: the new class offered may have more in class hours). http://www.testmasters180.com/