Law School Discussion

"some", "all", "most" etc....what's all that mean in LR?

Matthew_24_24

Re: "some", "all", "most" etc....what's all that mean in LR?
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2004, 01:09:53 PM »
And if you are going to try and get cute, learn the difference between a principal and a principle.

Owned, nt.

Matt

Trancer

• Conan the Republican!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2004, 01:11:23 PM »
damn Green, you really know how to push a persons buttons.

nathanielmark

« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2004, 01:11:28 PM »
i guess you got me, didnt you?

And if you are going to try and get cute, learn the difference between a principal and a principle.

Owned, nt.

Matt

Matthew_24_24

« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2004, 01:12:17 PM »
You did hit a nerve.  You hit my "I really dislike stupidity" nerve.  It tends to go off when I come near churches and republican conventions and union headquarters.  I had avoided having that nerve tweaked on these forums for about a month now. 

Congratulations for introducing it again to me.

Matt

nathanielmark

« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2004, 01:13:32 PM »
however you explain it, im sure everyone here is thoroughly convinced....  did i spell "thoroughly" right?

You did hit a nerve.  You hit my "I really dislike stupidity" nerve.  It tends to go off when I come near churches and republican conventions and union headquarters.  I had avoided having that nerve tweaked on these forums for about a month now. 

Congratulations for introducing it again to me.

Matt

Matthew_24_24

« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2004, 01:17:19 PM »
I doubt it will convince everyone.

I've went over detailed lines of evidence for biological evolution with Young Earth Creationists.  They simply refer to "flawed carbon dating" and are done with it.  Methods of knowledge acquisition like logic and science simply don't click for certain people. (hint hint)

Matt

GentleTim

• 3.45/175
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2004, 01:19:02 PM »
Symbolic logic means: Putting logic into symbols. That doesn't make it a different type of logic. It is still a logic test...and the logical explanations (before they are symbolized) apply to all logical systems where you can deduce an answer (like LR with quantifiers REQUIRE).

I think that you're making the LSAT more complicated than it needs to be.  I'm not masochistic enough to go back through my prep material, given that I'm perfectly satisfied with the score I got, but I know that a number of the questions about relationships about the size of sets.

I also know that most of these questions can be symbolized with sets rather than symbolic logic, and most means greater than half in that context.

Take set A.  Most of the members of A have some quality B.  In this case, P(B|A) > .5

I know that symbolic logic is cool, and I definitely think that it can be helpful on the LSAT, but don't lose sight of the forest for the trees...

Trancer

• Conan the Republican!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2004, 01:19:37 PM »
Matt, you really need a break man... step away from the books... if you are gonna let something this insignificant get you all riled up, something big is gonna come along and you are gonan snap.  A really good friend of mine suggested a weekend off, three days.  Hide your lsat books... no matter how rested you feel, Dont open them for three days!!! It worked wonders bro i jumped 5 points the next preptest i took.

sluan

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2004, 01:19:58 PM »
I couldn't find a better example than this -- although there may possibly be a more illustrative LR question somewhere.  This example can be used to support Matthew's point about "most".  However, there's a bit of room for contention.  What do you think?

PrepTest 30 Section 2 Question 16

Zoos have served both as educational resources and as entertainment. Unfortunately, removing animals from their natural habitats to stock the earliest zoos reduced certain species' populations, endangering their survial.  Today most zoo animals are obtained from captive breeding programs, and many zoos now maintain breeding stocks fro continued propagation of various species.  This makes possible efforts to reestablish endangered species in the wild.

Which one of the following statements is most strongly supported by the information above?

(A) Zoos have played an essential role in educating the public about endangered species.
(B) Some specimens of endangered species are born and bred in zoos.
(C) No zoos exploit wild animals or endanger the survival of species.
(D) Nearly all of the animals in zoos today were born in captivity.
(E) The main purpose of zoos has shifted from entertainment to education.

GentleTim

• 3.45/175
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2004, 01:20:55 PM »

I've went over detailed lines of evidence for biological evolution with Young Earth Creationists.  They simply refer to "flawed carbon dating" and are done with it.  Methods of knowledge acquisition like logic and science simply don't click for certain people. (hint hint)
Matt

Apparently basical social skills don't click for others.

And in the future, when you're going to pompously correct someone's grammar, avoid phrases like "I've went."