Law School Discussion

"some", "all", "most" etc....what's all that mean in LR?

Matthew_24_24

Re: "some", "all", "most" etc....what's all that mean in LR?
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2004, 12:28:32 PM »
GreenEggs: if you had to work them out. They are completely intuitive to me.

Most being 1-100 is as logically intuitive for me as all being 100 for you.  Its just through formal coursework that I possibly have a few more logical rules wired in my brain that I don't need to think  about.

And yes, i agree, they are unlikely to throw an ANSWER out at you that misrepresents most.  However, they will never (also) violate the logical rule by allowing the casual idea to be the answer when logically it would be incorrect.  It goes both ways.

HOWEVER, in some LR arguments they will offer you most, and treating it differently just makes it harder to work with.

Matt

Trancer

• Conan the Republican!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2004, 12:29:07 PM »
Kaplan is the authority!!! (so gonna get flamed for this).  Matt, relax... youre gonna have an aneurism bro.  Bill thinks so too.  

GentleTim

• 3.45/175
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2004, 12:32:26 PM »
Some but not all = 1-99, not 51-99. 

How does most but not all prove 51-100? it proves the 100, not the 51. :P

Didn't anyone here take a symbolic logic course?  This is scary.  Most does not equal MAJORITY in symbolic logic. This is a logic test not a  casual language test.

But it's not a symbolic logic test.  I stand by the fact that for the LSAT most means greater than half.

Matthew_24_24

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2004, 12:38:46 PM »
Symbolic logic means: Putting logic into symbols. That doesn't make it a different type of logic. It is still a logic test...and the logical explanations (before they are symbolized) apply to all logical systems where you can deduce an answer (like LR with quantifiers REQUIRE).

And even if the LSAT is nice and doesn't burn you with a "most" quantifier, it still is WAY easier to understand if you just include most with a few, some, and many. Because once you start down the slippery slope of establishing "most" as a majority, then your brain (for most people not trained) will start evaluating "a few" and "many" differently.

Save the hassle, evaluate it logically.  You cant go wrong that way. Why pin your hopes on LSAT not being cruel?

Matt

Matthew_24_24

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2004, 12:40:28 PM »
This reminds me of debates i have with anti-evolutionists.  Bleh.

Matt

Trancer

• Conan the Republican!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2004, 12:42:15 PM »
New Poll: How many people believe that Matt is gonna be a litigator!

nathanielmark

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2004, 12:47:17 PM »
a good litigator will ground his/her arguments in ideas/pricipals familiar to the audience they intend to persuade.  matt has not demonstrated an ability to do that here.

mukhia

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2004, 01:02:32 PM »
Dear God.  The man asked for some help and a simple answer.  Not battle of the wits.  I also took symbolic logic (Phil major) and believe me it helps as much as it hinders on the LSAT.  I vote for Greeneqs.  Don't ask me for what. 

Matthew_24_24

« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2004, 01:08:49 PM »
I'm not trying to "persuade" you.  I'm telling you.  I could care less if "you" listen.  I'm trying to help the original poster.  If you care to be dense, I really don't give a rat's ___.

nathanielmark

« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2004, 01:09:33 PM »
wow, somebody hit a nerve here...

I'm not trying to "persuade" you.  I'm telling you.  I could care less if "you" listen.  I'm trying to help the original poster.  If you care to be dense, I really don't give a rat's ___.