Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: asking "why was i rejected?"  (Read 4165 times)

*shell*

• Sr. Citizen
  • FSU...@#!* *&^% up
    • AOL Instant Messenger - shellrae007
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: asking "why was i rejected?"
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2006, 09:53:40 PM »
actually, in one of my rejection letters (i think from u arizona) the dean of admissions offered to sit down with me and go over how to make my application stronger if i decided to reapply for next year...it still seemed like a form letter, though, did anyone else get that?
FSU Law Class of 2009!!!

revelareveritas

• Sr. Citizen
  • Something strange is afoot at the Circle K...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2006, 10:01:47 PM »
lalalala
"It's not whether Iran likes carrots," he said. "Iran likes carrots. Iran demands carrots! If there is to be a solution in Iran, carrots must be part of the solution! We don't expect others to cook carrots for us then present them and then tell us, 'Eat them or else.' We can cook our own carrots!"

B.K.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2006, 11:24:34 PM »
Are you the "Brooklyn" on LSN?  If not, could you fill us in on your numbers?

Nope, s/he's not the LSN "Brooklyn."

Khannon

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2006, 12:33:03 PM »
I blew away both of Boalt's LSAT/GPA numbers, am from California, have worked for a United States Senator, the federal government, and the state of California and I got rejected. UC Berkeley in general is just insane.

But I had a similar reaction when I got rejected from Boston College a school whose median and 75th numbers were all below mine.  My astonishment was increased when I realized that they referred to me as a "Ms." in my rejection letter instead of the correct "Mr." (yes it was correctly labled on the application.  I promptly called the school and requested an appeal that is currently being done.

Admissions are just weird...

AdDir

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2006, 01:57:16 PM »
DK if this applies to you, but you might consider whether the info you've posted here or elsewhere indicates that you're really not that into Boalt.  I don't work at Boalt, but I'm at a tier 1 school.  We've rejected numerically qualified people after they, say, send an email inquiry including a signature line link to their webpage where they've indicated that we're behind a bunch of other schools on their preference list.  This is not info you'd want in your file, but you just added it!  Any adprof worth his/her salt checks this site and others to monitor the word on the street.  Sometimes it is painfully obvious who a poster is, and we'd be stupid not to take comments (and your apparent lack of judgment) into consideration when we weigh your file against another with similar numbers, etc.

Understand that a good part of an admissions decision is in the hands of the fates.  The mood of the file reader, your timing in the ad cycle, whether someone just like you was admitted last year and is a superstar or a big hassle, that sort of thing.  That said, if your PS is about what you've done, that may be the problem.  To be most effective, a PS ought to reveal things that aren't capable of being listed on your resume.

ashke14

• AOL Instant Messenger - Kalenedral14
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2006, 09:17:14 PM »
Hey AdDir,
    Just wanted to say thanks for stepping out of the shadows and saying something useful.  We all know you're around, but it's nice that you chose to make yourself known, and give back a bit like this.  Best of luck with your half of the admissions season.  You're a class act.

stacy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2006, 11:31:03 AM »
Berkeley was a surprise to me, too.  I was under the impression that it was the T14 most likely to accept people like me whose GPAs were stronger than their LSAT scores.  I had a genuine interest in their joint degree program, GPA and LSAT scores between the median and 75th %ile in last year's data, and a LOR from the former provost of their college of arts & sciences, who's now the president of my college.

So I figured not so much that I was a lock there (my numbers made any T14 a crapshoot) but that if I were going to get into any of them, it would be Berkeley.  And...not so much.  I think they're really tightening up their LSAT scores this year and looking to raise their rankings. 
JD/MUP Summer starter at Michigan