Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: calling all right-wingers  (Read 843 times)

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
calling all right-wingers
« on: April 03, 2006, 02:12:22 PM »
[you must be SO proud!]

Federal Spending Hits Decades-High Growth Rate
Increase Unmatched for One Administration Since FDR's

By Richard Wolf, USA TODAY

(April 3) - Federal spending is outstripping economic growth at a rate unseen in more than half a century, provoking some conservatives to complain that government under Republican control has gotten too big.

The federal government is currently spending 20.8 cents of every $1 the economy generates, up from 18.5 cents in 2001, White House budget documents show. That's the most rapid growth during one administration since Franklin Roosevelt.

There are no signs that the trend is about to turn around. The House Budget Committee last week rejected a proposal that would require spending hikes to be offset by cuts in other spending or by tax increases.

This week, the House is scheduled to debate the $2.8 trillion budget for 2007, which projects an additional $3 trillion of debt in the next five years.

The Sept. 11 attacks, the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, and Gulf Coast hurricanes account for only part of the increased spending.

Other factors: the biggest military buildup in decades, domestic spending, and the rise of benefits for the elderly, poor and disabled.

"You take anything, and we've grown it big," says Rep. Jeff Flake, R-Ariz., a leading critic of the spending spurt. "When you're in control of the presidency and both houses of Congress, there's just no stop on it. There's no brake."

Examples:

-- Spending for President Bush's military buildup, which began before 9/11, has risen nearly 50% above inflation in five years.

-- Medicare's new prescription-drug coverage is projected to cost an average of $80 billion a year over the next decade, adding nearly 20% to the health care program's annual price tag.

-- Spending on social programs, from education to veterans health care, has risen faster than at any time since the 1960s.

"Budgeting is about making choices, and this period is one that shows a complete absence of that," says Douglas Holtz-Eakin, a Republican who stepped down last year as director of the Congressional Budget Office.

The White House points to recent domestic cuts and the elimination of scores of small programs. It says Bush has led efforts to trim Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid.

"By far the bulk of new funding - 75% of it - has been to restore the hollowed-out military the president inherited, strengthen homeland defenses after 9/11, and fight the war on terror," says Scott Milburn, spokesman for the Office of Management and Budget. "These are essential investments that were required ... to protect our nation."

The spending spike contrasts with the mid-1990s, when Republicans gained control of Congress and compromised with President Clinton on spending cuts that led to a $236 billion budget surplus in 2000.

"Republicans have gotten the sense that they're going to get elected by passing out money to people," says former Republican House Budget Committee chairman John Kasich.

Happy_Weasel

• LSD Obsessed
  • Me and Gir, the happy weasel.
    • MSN Messenger - ominusdemon2@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: calling all right-wingers
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 04:59:55 PM »
I'm not a right-winger, but I like BBQ and shooting. Does that count?

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 06:59:58 PM »
two out of three.  your credit maxed out?

cyberrev

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 07:01:49 PM »

"Republicans have gotten the sense that they're going to get elected by passing out money to people," says former Republican House Budget Committee chairman John Kasich.

well it's about time the silly gits learned.  the dems have been riding that horse for years

Happy_Weasel

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2006, 09:13:36 PM »
Isn't that how it always works? The party grants money to its core constituent organizations and the organizations have all their members vote for the party line under threat of removal from the organization. It's called peonage. Labor unions and ethnic minority social groups used to do that all the time to get the liberals out to vote. Since a lot of minorities and workers quit their groups (maybe because of laws that eliminate the need for minority benevolent associations and new social and material technology that changes the structure of work) and because they join another group because of some mid-life crises(thats how Bush joined the Baptist/Pentacostal church), they are now in the peonage of others. Most of those "others" are either the business they work for (since they are not part of the union) or the Pentacostal/Baptist/Catholic church. The business threatens to fire them if they don't vote for the business and the Pentacostal church says that they will go to hell and not be able to come to church anymore if they don't vote Republican. This really effects these people because they would not have anybody to listen to their problems if it wasn't for the church. Also, who would live a life under the guilt and fear of eternal torture? People get bored of one group, so they sell their soul to another. What us democrats (and our liberal and not-republican allies/constituents) have to do is find another fun after work and weekend club that most people can join to get their peonage back. Maybe a church for those who don't like being told that they are going to hell every Sunday, maybe an intellectual club that even average people who are somewhat educated can participate in.

cyberrev

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2006, 10:52:54 PM »
Maybe a church for those who don't like being told that they are going to hell every Sunday, maybe an intellectual club that even average people who are somewhat educated can participate in.

hey, come to my church i've never said that once.   ;D

i guess its because i believe that the bible says it's god job to decide who spends eternity where.  i don't remember the memo that delegated that to me.  i'm sure as hell not qualified.

Happy_Weasel

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2006, 11:02:24 AM »
hey jules, am i considered a right-winger?  i know i'm generally considered a conservative, but i like to think that the emphasis is on the conserve part.  ;)

You are not a right-winger or a left-winger. You are a classic liberal.

Freak

• Sr. Citizen
  • What's your agenda?!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - smileyill4663
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - smileyill
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2006, 06:29:25 PM »
The military was (is?) anemic, and it frustrates me that its money went to social programs and I don't like paying for it now, but that seems to be the nature of our political system - pass the buck to the next generation. The current House of Representatives certainly does that now. (They do have the power to control the budget if they want).
Freak is the best, Freak is the best!  Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
I don't like calling you Freak, I'd rather call you  Normal Nice Guy.

magnumalv

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2006, 06:45:15 PM »
hey jules, am i considered a right-winger?  i know i'm generally considered a conservative, but i like to think that the emphasis is on the conserve part.  ;)

As in the prelude to libertarian, right?

Happy_Weasel

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2006, 12:50:42 PM »

As in the prelude to libertarian, right?

yes.