Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How old is everyone here? Does age make a diff?  (Read 1638 times)

HMMM

• View Profile
How old is everyone here? Does age make a diff?
« on: April 03, 2006, 02:34:52 AM »
I've come to the realization that a lot of people who are heading into law school are not in their early 20's at all - contradictory to what I had originally believed. 

I'm 20 right now - hoping to write the LSAT when I'm 21 - and hoping for law school by age 22 max... but have gotten some eyebrows raised by other older hopeful law students.

Does anyone reckon that age is even looked at by law schools?

How old are you all? Or how old were you when you first applied to or began law school?
 ???

;D

farouk

• View Profile
Re: How old is everyone here? Does age make a diff?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2006, 09:00:09 AM »
I'll be barely 28 in 1L.  I didn't even know I wanted to go to UG, nevermind LS, until I was 22.  I believe the average age at most schools for 1L is 22-25, so you won't be too young.  I don't think age matters at all.  If you're a mature 22 year old, you'll be fine.  If you're an irresponsible 60 year old, you'll be in some trouble.  I personally would take a couple of years to work and party, but I definitely understand that some people like to go,go,go, and that's cool too.

sharsky

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 11:15:20 PM »
I'll be 22 entering 1L, but I wrote my LSATs the year before, I just deferred for a year.
I don't think your age is something to worry about.  Could actually work in your favour in some ways... your mind is fresh and ready for the beating!

FlashInThePan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2006, 03:34:39 AM »
I just turned 22 also about to enter first year law.

Age isn't a big issue, this time two years ago I was about to apply for med but turned down an interview. Kinda glad I did. Best to wait till you're sure that law is what you want to do, and if that means waiting a few more years, so be it.

Doraemon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2006, 10:09:02 PM »
Does anyone reckon that age is even looked at by law schools?

The top schools tend to be hesitant about teenagers because there have been some infamous screwups. But twentysomethings make pretty typical law students and your age will not be a problem.

TheCanadian

• Sr. Citizen
  • :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2006, 03:54:21 AM »
I'm 19 right now and am writing the LSAT on Dec 2nd (My Birthday...). I initially planned to graduate with a 3 yr degree at the end of this year. However I decided to take this fall term off and return for winter and graduate either this spring go ahead with the honours courses in either or both majors in graduate in 2008 instead...I dunno...i guess i got a bit of a choice to make.
Excuse me, I just noticed you noticing me and I just wanted to give you notice that I noticed you too.

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2006, 06:35:54 AM »
I'm a 1L and I'll turn 30 in Nov. (although I know tiNtcr, I'm actually excited about this birthday.)  I've been really pleasantly surprised by how little difference age makes.  My youngest friend so far in law school is barely 22, and plenty are in their mid-late 30s.  There's no divide between the non-trads and the straight-from-undergrads.  It's been a non-issue so far.

And I have to say, other law students around my age told me that this was the case when I was applying and fretting over being one of the older students.  I was skeptical then, and I wouldn't blame you for feeling the same now.  But trust me - it'll probably be fine.
I was referring to your intellectual penis. Which is quite robust.

Jolie is creeping up on me. 

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2006, 08:11:30 AM »
I'm a 1L and I'll turn 30 in Nov. (although I know tiNtcr, I'm actually excited about this birthday.)  I've been really pleasantly surprised by how little difference age makes.  My youngest friend so far in law school is barely 22, and plenty are in their mid-late 30s.  There's no divide between the non-trads and the straight-from-undergrads.  It's been a non-issue so far.

And I have to say, other law students around my age told me that this was the case when I was applying and fretting over being one of the older students.  I was skeptical then, and I wouldn't blame you for feeling the same now.  But trust me - it'll probably be fine.

My school has a younger population and we have straight-from-undergrads who don't want to deal with non-trads. Still, the people who make it an issue are pretty obvious, and it's easy to avoid them if you don't care how old your friends are. There are immature people everywhere just searching to find reasons to exclude people. It bothered me at first, but I really don't have time to worry about it.